Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How crucial is the WING!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 PM

How crucial is the WING!!

Whats up,
ive been reading posts on this site forever and now that i am finally about to purchase an STI once i graduate in May, i wanted to ask a question! If i was to take the wing off of the sti how would that affect the stability and performance of the vehicle? I really like understated sport vehicles, therefore if the sti did not suffer any performance loss i would probably get rid of the rally wing. before the sti i was dead set on buying a wrx wagon because i love a sheeps in wolf clothing, but i just cant pass up the overwhelming perfomance of the sti. (modding a wrx is not an option)
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
From what I have heard, the STi wing only offers minimal downforce at higher speeds, other than that I believe it is a social status to have a big wing on your car. You shouldn't feel anything.

And remember if you are taking it off you are losing 25+ lbs in the rear . . .

Rush
Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Actually the wing is quite functional. The faster you go, the more downforce it makes.

Example- myself and some friends, who shall remain nameless, were tearing *** across Nevada after a track day. One had an STi, leading the "pack" and another had a bugeye WRX. We were typically at about 100-105 mph most of the way. In shallow curves, if the WRX got close enough to the STi, it would actually get "aero loose", where the back end would be less stable.

Now, the more "textbook" explanation is this: What is the area of the wing? Something like 10"x50"? that's not exact but it's close enough to illustrate the point. That' 500 square inches. If the wing generates .5 psi of downforce, that's an extra 250 pounds over the rear wheels. That's certainly not insignificant.

Now, the kicker is, if you don't like the wing for whatever reason- toss it. It's not really a make or break feature, as you can use alignment to tune some stability back into the rear end at high speeds, albeit at the expense of low-speed agility.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Actually the wing is quite functional. The faster you go, the more downforce it makes.

Example- myself and some friends, who shall remain nameless, were tearing *** across Nevada after a track day. One had an STi, leading the "pack" and another had a bugeye WRX. We were typically at about 100-105 mph most of the way. In shallow curves, if the WRX got close enough to the STi, it would actually get "aero loose", where the back end would be less stable.

Now, the more "textbook" explanation is this: What is the area of the wing? Something like 10"x50"? that's not exact but it's close enough to illustrate the point. That' 500 square inches. If the wing generates .5 psi of downforce, that's an extra 250 pounds over the rear wheels. That's certainly not insignificant.

Now, the kicker is, if you don't like the wing for whatever reason- toss it. It's not really a make or break feature, as you can use alignment to tune some stability back into the rear end at high speeds, albeit at the expense of low-speed agility.
i love you ban ur my hero, please put that in your sig
Old 01-05-2005, 07:33 PM

thanks for the help,
im about 90 percent the wing is coming off . And that story of the bug eye and the sti going breakneck speeds together is not my type of driving so im not worried about being tailed at 110 mph and loosing backend stability. On the other hand i am rather certain i will find myself in excess of 120-130 on late night empty freeways on a rare occassion. Now to the tricky part, whats this about having to mess with the lock to get the wing off?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:33 PM

That space is for rent. Terms negotiable.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by fibinochi_si
thanks for the help,
im about 90 percent the wing is coming off . And that story of the bug eye and the sti going breakneck speeds together is not my type of driving so im not worried about being tailed at 110 mph and loosing backend stability. On the other hand i am rather certain i will find myself in excess of 120-130 on late night empty freeways on a rare occassion. Now to the tricky part, whats this about having to mess with the lock to get the wing off?
Well, the point is that removing hte wing creates almost the same condition as being tailgated... no rear downforce (or rather, reduced lift, but that's another matter).

The lock bit is about the fact that you have to swap lock cylinders when you do the trunk swaps. Technically, by removing the wing you're also required to put in the 3rd brake light that WRXs without spoilers have. But that's beside the point. If you swap trunks without swapping cylinders, neither of you can open your trunk with the key anymore. Also, you have to swap the hinges and springs, because they are much stronger on the STi for obvious reasons.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Do it!

Buy a PSM STi and trade with me! OOPS I have the WRX wing

Actually, I like the big 'ol wing but I'm a ricer (I have neons - but they're not perma-mounted and they're inside). I really like the Spec C wing...that thing is sexay!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 Sti

Example- myself and some friends, who shall remain nameless, were tearing *** across Nevada after a track day. One had an STi, leading the "pack" and another had a bugeye WRX.

Who on earth could that have been? Haha...

Yeah, I believe the wing is slightly useful, as you said, it generates a good deal of downforce, and more importantly, I believe it breaks up the negative airflow that is generated over the truck area...

but it won't make or break the car...I do agree with what you said Ban.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 PM

what about the wrx wasnt handling as well in the curves as the sti because the sti just has better suspension out of the box(unless the wrx had modded suspension) i really dont think the wing has too much of an effect untill 110mph+ but fininochi i took the wing off my sti and didnt notice any diffrence, but that dont mean there isnt one.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Sti
The WRX in question is very heavily modded...You may be right though, there are likely other factors that contribute to the lift feeleing.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
BTW...I'm sure that subaru didn't just put that wing on there for fun and giggles. It must have some kind of performance benefit for them to mount it to EVERY STi rather than make it an option.

I agree though...taking it off shouldn't affect your overall enjoyment in any discernable fashion.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
I dont know,...with needle tacked all the way to the 140mph mark (cant say I was doing that because all speedo's are optimistic to a certain extent) my wrx (without wing) felt really damn stable. At the time I only had Eibach springs. I think the wing is mostly for show. After all, our cars arn't exactly aerodynamic wonders. They have the curves of a house compared to most other sports cars on the road. Everyday going to work at 0500hrs when I have the open highway to myslef, I regularly exceed the 100mph mark. The car is firmly planted at those speeds. Although I've never had anyone tailgate me at those speeds. I've had a few people try...
Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Note how I said the wing isn't essential to the STi. It absolutely does add functional downfore however. Plus, you're not doing that 140 on a racetrack where your next turn-in might be at 85 mph (say, turn 1 at thunder Hill). In that situation, I'll take the wing every time. Around town, on the highway- I could see giving it up for the stealth factor.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...If the wing generates .5 psi of downforce...
That's a big if. I've seen real rally wings...and F1 wings...and they look nothing like stock wings on cars. The shape obviously is very important, and I don't think the cross section of the STi wing is very good for down force. To be honest, I think it doesn't do anything except disrupt the laminar airflow that might otherwise happen. Maybe I'm wrong...but unless the top of a car's wing has some concavity to it (or the bottom surface is significantly longer/more curved), I don't see how it can create downforce. It is a wing, afterall, and wings work because the two surfaces are significantly different in curvature/length.

Quick Reply: How crucial is the WING!!