Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

HKS SQV Blow off valve

Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Red face HKS SQV Blow off valve

Does anyone know anything about the HKS Super Sequential Blow off Valve??? I just bought one yesturday for my Husbands 05 WRX for Christmas, I really do not know anything about cars and I want to make sure that I bought something that was "good". I went to a local performace store and asked the guy working what I could get him for his car and he suggested the BOV. He was kind of a tool so I dont know if I bought something that was worth it Anyone know anything about this part?? Any reassurance would be great! Also any suggestions on other cool things I could get him if this isnt a good thing? Thanks!!!

~ Leann
Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Well a BOV is not a performance mod, just a noisemaker. Some like the noise, some don't and consider it "ricey". A BOV that vents to atmosphere (which produces the maximum noise compared to a recirculating one) may be somewhat detrimental because it affects the air/fuel mixture when it vents.
The most important thing here is to make sure that Hubby will want this. BOV and non-BOV people are sort of like cat and dog people, you're either one or the other.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, as far as BOVs go, the HKS SSQV is one of my favorites. I'm not a fan of putting aftermarket BOVs on Subarus, but that one is pretty nice.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 AM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
same here as nKoan the SSQV is nice BOV, I love that "PPSSS!" sound when you let off the throttle. I would take a SSQV over the TurboXs anyday.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:39 AM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX STI
PROS: HKS SSQV is one of the best in the Market. Great Sound and easy to install. CONS: In California it's NOT CARB Legal, and it does effect A/F ration and your gas runs rich.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Thanks guys I think he will like it, I know he had a BOV on hims 91 MR2 so he is one of "those" guys that likes them, so i think it will work. It's just the guy at the store seemed so lame that I had no idea if this particular one was worth it, I guess it makes a differant noise than the one he use to have. He just got the car a month ago and hasnt done anything to it yet except the intake.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
You're an awesome wife

The HKS is an awesome BOV, as well as the best looking one on the market.
Of course you must realize you are only egging him on in tuning the car
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: '06 Lexus IS
Originally Posted by RedStage
You're an awesome wife

The HKS is an awesome BOV, as well as the best looking one on the market.
Of course you must realize you are only egging him on in tuning the car
im sure thats one of the many reasons why he married her! keep supporting the hobby!! haha
Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by LBeagle
Thanks guys I think he will like it, I know he had a BOV on hims 91 MR2 so he is one of "those" guys that likes them, so i think it will work. It's just the guy at the store seemed so lame that I had no idea if this particular one was worth it, I guess it makes a differant noise than the one he use to have. He just got the car a month ago and hasnt done anything to it yet except the intake.

1st- I have the HKS SSQV and I love it!

However FYI, One thing you may want to consider (regaurding the Intake), I'm assuming its a Cold Air Intake (CAI). Subaru's are not cars that actually will benefit from having a CAI, unless you are pushing upwards of 320+ Horsepower AT THE WHEELS. A stock Subaru will actually LOSE some of the performance when a CAI is installed on it. Believe it or not, the factory intake on these cars is designed really well, and is the best intake for the car when it is only mildly-moderately modded. A heavily modded car will benefit from a CAI due to the added heat generated at higher HP levels. Also, a CAI on a stock Subaru May throw a CEL (Check Engine Light). Putting a CAI on a stock car wont really "damage" anything on the car.....but your hubby may find that its not helping the performance of the car at all (like it probably did with his MR2), and end up taking it off.

Hope this helps.

-Ted