Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

DSM modifying mentality?

Old 02-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
DSMs are easier to mod for tons of power. What works on DSMs and other imports doesn't always apply to the EJ20 engine.

For example, using an MBC or EBC to crank the boost way up isn't safe with the stock TD04 turbo, and even worse if engine management hasn't been implemented.

Intake mods don't do much of anything except skew the MAF signal. Generally not needed unless the upgrades require a big front-mount intercooler.

If I really wanted to make big power, I'd have gotten either an EVO or a used Supra. I bought a WRX because I like Subarus.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-19-2004, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
All cars aren't the same. Just because the WRX has a turbo and so do the 1/2g eclipses do, that doesn't mean you should modify them the same.

The MBC just doesn't work on the WRX the same as it does on the DSM - you can do it safely, but it's not the best way to go. Besides, you'll get bigger gains by getting the reflash done than without - I mean, you can get around 230hp at the wheels with turbo back exhaust and a computer reflash. So about $1500 in mods and you're pushing 60 or 70hp more at the wheels than stock. Not too shabby.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
Re: DSM modifying mentality?

Originally posted by skeptic
I seems like WRX owners start with a new computer (flash the stock module, add a UTEC, whatever), then go from there.
IMO, the popularity of reflashing the ECU in WRXs stems from 2 things:
1) best bang for the buck
2) the whole "I don't want to get pulled over by the cops and have to go visit the smog referee" factor.

The reflash is virtually undetectable, requires no visible modifications (useful when the cop pokes around under the hood), and yields great horsepower gains. 35HP for about $650 for a Vishnu reflash is a good deal. To get similar horsepower increases would require an uppipe, downpipe and a catback exhaust (which will not pass a cop's visual inspection) and would cost much more money.

-Soren
Old 02-19-2004, 10:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I've never heard of cops looking around under the hood of a car.. Why would a cop care? I live in Florida, used to live in Oregon and California if that makes a difference. Sure, the smog inspectors might, but pulling out a MBC should be a 5 minute job. [/B]
They've started to do it in the California (the Bay Area to be exact, probably LA too). Someone on this board actually just got pulled over in the east bay, and the cop was asking questions like "Is that the stock exhaust?" "Is that an aftermarket intake?" "Are you running a modified chip?" etc.

Granted, a majority of these cops probably don't know what's stock versus aftermarket on every car ever made by a simple visual check, but they are getting schooling on aftermarket performance mods, and generally know which ones are illegal.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
"DSM Mentality" is old skool mentality.

Slap on some fat injectors, fat fuel pump, fat FPR, crank up the boost through the roof and "tune it" with AFC isn't exactly rocket science.

Concepts of ignition timing tuning simply do not exist in the DSM world.

Old skool is cool, but new skool is better.

Now, with engine management that is out on the market, cars are making more power, on poopier gas, running less boost and putting less stress on the engine.

P.S. I am an ex-DSM owner as well. The original creator of Club DSM AT.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:13 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by skeptic
I don't understand what you mean when you say a MBC just doesn't work the same, even though you say you can do it safely.
When an MBC is used, and possibly an EBC under certain conditions, there is a likelihood of a PTFB (part-throttle, full-boost) condition, which can make the exhaust gas temperature soar beyond a safe level. This doesn't occur all of the time, and certain driving conditions have to be present for it to happen, but it can happen. I think PTFB can occur when climbing a grade at too low of a throttle opening to trigger the full-rich condition of the factory ECU. There are a couple of devices on the market to help deal with the PTFB condition but they still aren't the ideal solution.

Yes, an MBC can be used in moderation but I wouldn't use one without an EGT gauge to let me know if things are getting a little out of hand. It would probably be okay to use at a drag strip where the ECU will see throttle position at max, but I'd be concerned about everyday driving.

--
0==WW==0
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
When an MBC is used, and possibly an EBC under certain conditions, there is a likelihood of a PTFB (part-throttle, full-boost) condition, which can make the exhaust gas temperature soar beyond a safe level. This doesn't occur all of the time, and certain driving conditions have to be present for it to happen, but it can happen. I think PTFB can occur when climbing a grade at too low of a throttle opening to trigger the full-rich condition of the factory ECU. There are a couple of devices on the market to help deal with the PTFB condition but they still aren't the ideal solution.

Yes, an MBC can be used in moderation but I wouldn't use one without an EGT gauge to let me know if things are getting a little out of hand. It would probably be okay to use at a drag strip where the ECU will see throttle position at max, but I'd be concerned about everyday driving.

--
0==WW==0
Thank you for clarifying that for me, Alan. I knew it was bad but couldn't remember why and I was entirely too lazy to do a search on it
Old 02-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Admin v2.0

You buy a stock WRX. You get about 160hp to the wheels. Then, you spend $650 and get a re-map. You get + ~ 20hp to the wheels.

I think this is uber cool. Now, I have seen cars with gobs of mods (exhaust, intake, EBC's) that made less power than stock or barely over which "feeling" like they were making power.

Engine management is the key. I thank God everyday that Subaru crowd knows that and there are GOBS of people with re-maps and few people with silly AFC's. Thats how Subaru enthusiasts were brought up.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Admin v2.0

Yes, I consider UTEC to be a true engine management.

UTEC, XEDE, all the re-flashes and few others.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSM modifying mentality?