Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Downshift Into First?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 04:58 AM

Car Info: '03 Impreza WRX
Hmmm, I drove up and down both Rainier and St Helens last week and I never had to hit 1st, or 2nd come to that. (both twisty roads with a lotta switchbacks and often no crash barriers)

I learned to drive in England where the roads are narrower and just as twisty as anything around here (and the limit is 60, even on country lanes!) and I don't recall ever having to get down to 1st to make a corner. 2nd sometimes but not 1st.

WRX is geared a bit higher than my old Civic (or anything I drove back home) but I still have a hard time imagining the corner that'd force me to downshift to 1st.

City driving (or freeway in traffic) you might have to downshift to keep her rolling - those higher gear ratios makes it a little less tolerant - but with experience I've found that I can often baby her along in 2nd just like I would with my Civic. (Just don't expect to step on the gas and go - you have to ease the rpm back above 2000 first)

Shifting and city traffic are par for the course with manuals though - one reason so many people went to autos.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 03' WRB
2nd and third is all you need...

<))><
Old 08-13-2003, 07:45 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I drive in downtown chicago all the time and it's mostly 2nd & 3rd with a downshift to 1st just to keep the car rolling but 2nd holds well for most inner city driving.
Now I have a spec stage 4 clutch that sucks in the city till you get used to it.

Bottom line is I think the wrx is fine in the "twistys" but I'm no expert.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:45 AM

Car Info: '03 Impreza WRX
Sounds like you just need to try driving one to see for yourself.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
IMHO, downshifting to first is only desirable in a few situations:
1) you're at a complete stop
2) you're entering a tight corner on an auto-x
3) you're pulling into a parking lot
4) you're on a steep hill in slow traffic

In the latter three cases when downshifting to first while rolling is desired, I've successfully learned to double clutch and rev match. Ideally this would not be necessary, but hopefully we all realize that the world is not ideal.

The WRX does *feel* boggy in the low revs simply because it makes so much power as the revs climb. However, if you compare the power output of the WRX at say 1,800 rpm's I bet it is a little bit greater than the power output of my old Civic at 1,800 rpm's. The difference is the Civic doesn't make huge torque over any of it's rev range whereas the WRX does. Said another way, the torque curve climbs steeply on the WRX at low revs whereas it is much less steep on many NA engines.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
I rarely if ever downshift into first. Even if I'm rolling slightly coming to a light and it turns green, I'll just pop it into second and take the extra second to get the revs up(I could rev match it but I'm too lazy). I've noticed that alot of the time when you try to put it into first in a situation like this that there is resistance from the gearbox. That's just a signal to me that I shouldn't be trying it.
To a new stick driver, I'd say Subaru's aren't the best. They're very finnicky compared to other standards. Then again, I suppose if you're not used to a standard you're less likely to be jarred by the way the tranny is compared to others. Either way, practice makes perfect. I'd driven stick on an off when I got my car. I was ok but not spectacular at it. Now that I've had my car for a few weeks, i've really learned the trasnmission and drive smoothly all the time. good luck!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Truely all you need is 2nd and 3rd but if you are in that weird area where you do need to downshift into first, if you look in your cars manual they give all the speeds that you can downshift into what gears, I know in the -03 WRX you can downshift to first at 18 MPH. Its all knowing your transmission, If you don't you'll probally end up over-winding your engine, or damaging it. Good Luck

WRX Rush
Old 08-13-2003, 09:19 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Originally posted by WRX Rush
Truely all you need is 2nd and 3rd but if you are in that weird area where you do need to downshift into first, if you look in your cars manual they give all the speeds that you can downshift into what gears, I know in the -03 WRX you can downshift to first at 18 MPH. Its all knowing your transmission, If you don't you'll probally end up over-winding your engine, or damaging it. Good Luck

WRX Rush

What is over winding your engine? And also rev matching?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Quick Reply: Downshift Into First?