Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Conspiracy against STI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
yeah the evo also has 2.0 and sti is 2.5
Old 02-11-2004, 07:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I would rather have the STi. Like you said, the EVO starts out running higher boost to make power, but the STi has more displacement. That extra .5 litre means a lot for drivability (lots more power down low - no waiting for the turbo to spool to get decent power). And as for the suspension, unless you're planning to auto-x, the STi will be more than adequate on the street. My .02
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
my only comment is this, have you ever seen a magazine that was unbiased in any way. i have not
Old 02-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
It all comes down to this. I was in my STi with a buddy in it, raced an Evo with one person in it, and I won. If you want a mitsu, go buy a DSM talon/eclipse. It will cost 1/10th of the Evo's price and is basically the same set up. Then throw in 10G in mods and whoop on Evo's.

Nick
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
The EVO wins the contests because all the testing is done on the track where the EVO's handling shines. The slightly better handling is what gives it that bit of edge over the STI on paper. I'd rather have an STI tho, especially in real world driving scenarios
Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 AM

This is America, you want the bigger motor and more power. The throw down a few hundred bucks on sway bars, etc. and out corner the Evo.

Nick
Old 02-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Personally I like the EVO better, I think it looks better and handles better. I prefer handling to power. Any idiot can stop on the Gas pedal and go fast but what seperates the men from the kids are how you tackle those corners. Plus its easier to do power mods on the EVO and not screw anything up, but tackling suspension is very tricky. You could do more harm to your handling due to incorrect suspension installs. Personally I feel just strut and sway replacements on the STi won't let you out handle the EVO. Yes you will reduce understeer but I don't think the Gs you pull on the skid pad would change, only the way the car turns would (meaning you probably won't be able to take the corner faster). Tire and strut would definately impact handling much more. Question is do you want to change out those parts on the $30K + you already spent on the STi to hopefully get close to an Evo's handling or do you want to put easy to do power mods on the EVO (not to mention cheaper) to get upto an STi's acceleration. That choice is your. What some people on these forums don't get is that while performance is everything to them, for others like myself and my friends looks and some amount of comfort also matters. They might tell you get the STi and smoke the others at stop lights .... to that I would say you may be faster but your 04' STi still looks like a turd and I will still laugh and point at your ugly car. Performance don't cure UGLY!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:42 PM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
The EVO engine is made of a cast iron block, much stronger than the cast aluminium block used on the WRX and STi. Iron is has less thermal expansion properties than aluminium, therefore withstands more heat and higher pressures (good for engines). That is why I think the EVO can handle more PSI of boost. The EVO engine (4G63) has been out there for 13 years but the STi 2.5 engine has yet to prove its worth.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM

The Evo and RX-7 have totally different powerplants. Evo is a inline 4, RX is rotary. The Evo is like a third gen Diamond Star motor (1G & 2G Talon/Eclipse). The 1G is a great motor. The 2G DSM motor BLOWS, that motor has had some issues. A bigger motor that is pushing less boost (Subaru) is a better spot to start modding. Subaru has the stronger drivetrain too. Magazines are not real life, personal situations where the Evo has fallen have already been posted. I personally hate the interior of the Evo. Either choice you will have a quick car.

Nick

Quick Reply: Conspiracy against STI?