Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

'05 9-2X in Norcal Flood

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM

'05 9-2X in Norcal Flood

So, my 6 month old Saab 9-2X wagon was a sitting duck in the floods we just had here in Northern California. The water came about halfway up the door. Inside the car, it looks like it came to the base of the shifter, not quite up to the center console electronics. The keyless entry still works but I am afraid to try to start the car for fear of further damage. Luckily insurance said that they will fully cover any work that needs to be done, and the car will not be totalled. I am weary of taking it to an independent body shop so I was going to take it to the dealer (since insurance is covering it, the cost doesn't bother me). My questions are, what is the dealer going to do to get it back to working condition, should I be suspicious of them cutting corners, what should is important to check on the car after I get it back to make sure that I don't have any problems in the future? (rust). Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Jerms
Attached Thumbnails '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood-7c00.jpg   '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood-abe0.jpg   '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood-ad30.jpg   '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood-d2a6.jpg   '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood-f73d.jpg  

Old 01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
oh no.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Disconnect the battery. It may be too late anyway but you want to interrupt all current flowing through the car. The damage to the wiring and electronics is worse when there are live circuits at the time of the flood.
The ECU is located behind the passenger footwell so it is probably damaged or destroyed.
If the car is to be repaired and not totalled, the entire interior should be stripped and everything that got wet should be replaced- seats, carpet, trim etc. Any electronics that got wet should go, and all harnesses and connectors should be inspected. Ideally the entire body harness should be replaced. One of the problems with repaired flood cars is hidden damage to wiring or electrical components that may not cause problems right away but may do so months or years later. You should insist on having as much as possible replaced, definitely everything that was below the water line.
This was presumably a fresh water flood and not salt water? If it were salt water the car should be totalled because the salt gets into everything and causes corrosion (especially any live circuits as I mentioned). Fresh water isn't nearly as bad if it's dried and repaired quickly.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
man, that sucks. Glad to hear insurance is going to step up.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Sorry to see a wagon brother down. Keep us posted on the cars situation.

Just spent the last 3 hours with out power down here. This damn storm is a biatch.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
having water in the vehicle sucks. been there done that. not fun
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Holy crap! Dude that sucks. Is this type of thing covere by insurance?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Holy crap! Dude that sucks. Is this type of thing covere by insurance?
comprehensive insurance, just like theft is.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:12 PM

I hope this dealership has comprehensive then.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
damn that sucks...
Old 01-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Wow... That sucks big time. How fast did the water rise? And how much is it going to cost to repair? I just got my window busted out and it cost $1800 to repair (damaged door panel runs $350).
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM

It's been ugly out here. We've had so much freaking rain, it's ridiculous. At one point we had 3 major freeways closed and 1 highway cloase. Good thing I wasn't working because I don't think I could get to half of my location due to high water and road closures.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dypeterc
Wow... That sucks big time. How fast did the water rise? And how much is it going to cost to repair? I just got my window busted out and it cost $1800 to repair (damaged door panel runs $350).
I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and the water was above the bottom of the door, so I didn't open it, I was going to climb in through the back (since it wasn't above the back bumper yet) and try to drive it to higher ground, but the water rose another 1-2 feet in about 30 minutes and there wasn't really anything I could do. I hate the feeling of being helpless. Believe me, I am going to be so paranoid EVERY time it rains from now on. . .

Jerms
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
damn the water got in... im amazed really

i mean the seals should have kept the water out, i had a buddy that got caught in a flash flood and the water didnt get in at all...

it was a integra btw
Old 01-03-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
damn the water got in... im amazed really

i mean the seals should have kept the water out, i had a buddy that got caught in a flash flood and the water didnt get in at all...

it was a integra btw
i dunno man, not with that much water. My friend has an 02 bmw, and he came home from a week in tahoe and his trunk/ carpets were filled with water, his interior is deterioating like the stereo ***** and steering wheel etc... and electrical problems too. His car is a lemon pos and has had millions of problems. keep in mind this was no flood or anything just rain. Nice xmas present ehhh... long love subaru except mine smells like a moldy fart after all the rain

Quick Reply: '05 9-2X in Norcal Flood