STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

Bugs sucked into the hood scoop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 03' WRB
If your worrying so much about rocks and debris from the hood scoopi damaging your intercooler then i hope u never get a front mount intercooler.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 AM

Car Info: 03' WRB
i'd be more worried getting a rock sucked into my turbo. or hmmmm a nuclear winter??

<))><
Old 06-08-2003, 07:35 AM

Car Info: STi Stage 1
Intercooler screen

Originally posted by Janq
As for birds and stuff, when is the last time you ran into a bir mid-flight? Anything is possible but I sincerely doubt you have to worry about such an issue.
- Janq
Four years ago, I had a 1993 Grand Am. A friend and I were returning from hunting for birds down in SW Kansas. We both got blanked but had a good time. I am doing 85 or so on a two lane highway when I see a small bird flush out of a bush on the right. He hit the front of my car before I could blink. I pulled over and there was a fist sized hole in the front plastic grill. I open the hood to see bird guts all over my fan shroud and a big red smear on the underside of my hood. So technically I did not get blanked, but there was not much to show for it.

I am thinking that the IC screen is easy and practical. Putting a screen over the scoop is a little more difficult. I think if that bird hit a screen over the scoop......you might be scoopless.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Instead of paying 35 dollars for a carbon fiber intercooler screen you can just go to home depot and buy a roll of1/4 wire mesh (like the stuff you make rodent cages out of). All you do is measure the intecooler's dimensions, add 2cm to each side, cut out the rectangle from the mesh with some wire snips. Cut out the corners (IE 2 cm square from each corner), bend down the edges of the mesh to make the sides, and when all is said and done you have a 1/4in mesh screen that drops into the intercooler and sits flush.

Also, another popular thing to do is cut out another rectangle of mesh that is the same size of the intercooler (IE dont add 2cm to each side this time), place that in the underside of the screen you just made, offset it an 1/8in from the the other mesh, then ziptie it in. This way you now have an 1/8in mesh screen.

Link: Directions with pictures can be found here

Mine actually turned out alot cleaner than this guys. Instead of making the "legs" 1 1/4in square long, I made it 2, so it sits flush, and when I put in the second piece to make it a tighter mesh I cut of the extra bit on the side and put the zipties a couple squares in. Turned out really well, cost about 3 dollars total, and catches so much stuff its crazy.

Last edited by Br1t1shguy; 06-08-2003 at 01:46 PM.