STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

**Official thread for questions to the owners of Sti**

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Originally posted by acarguy
Mauijammer.....

Did you have to enlarge the openings in the rear doors? I haven't checked them out yet but I know the stock rear speaker size is 4". I'm planning to put Boston 5.25s in the rear doors but I'm trying to get an idea on how much work will be involved.
The door panel has an odd angle to it.. and when you fit in the rear speaker (I used Kenwood KFC-1377 5.25") in only three of the screw points line up flush... you'd have to enlarge it if you wanted to make all 4 points line up.

So like I said... I used thick double-sided foam tape, made it snug, and only screwed in 3 of the screws.

Worked like a champ.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by shingles
Also, what about that rear glass? real thin?
Well sorry it took so long to get back with this....

I looked at the glass today and yeah, it looks really thin.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 PM

Re: Re: **Official thread for questions to the owners of Sti**

My answers immediately follow your questions as **. Let me know if you need/want more details on anything. Lack of words generally means lack of first hand experience to answer on the question.

Originally posted by Janq
Essogas,

Good show old chap for getting this topic 'Reloaded' and kudos to Mach5WRX for responding to the various questions presented thus far. Things went sour as noted before but thats all in the past.

Myself as well as others (as per the PM's I've been getting lately) have unanswered questions that have not been asked or answered prior so I'm going to repost some of my original queries from that earlier thread I mentioned which went unanswered. I'm not expecting a big response of "20,000" characters nor for responders to spend a lot of time on this. But the following are questions myself and others have on our minds;

* How solid 'feeling' is the car itself and the ride overall?
What I mean by this is does the car feel like a normal or regular Subie/Impreza and that it'll last for the long haul (200K miles or more) or does it feel less so.

** It's feels as solid as my WRX. I'm pretty confident that I'll get a lot of miles out of it.

* Does it work well IYHO as a commuter car for day to day A to B to C to home use? You know, the Monday through Friday mundane travels where top speed & max handling ability are not emphasized but braking, top gear acceleration and lane change ability are most used.

** It's my daily drive to work and to pick up the kids from school and works as well as any other vehicle I've driven. The ride is a little bit rougher then your average car, but my wagon sports an STi suspension so I was used to it already.

* What has been your observed fuel usage/mileage city & highway and/or mixed?

**Most of my driving is short trips up and down hills (mountains) with lots of stop and go. I've been getting around 18-19 MPG. I know others are getting in the 20s but they most likely do a bit more highway driving.

* How does it do chugging along in 30 mph or less traffic? And what gear do you prefer in such case?

* How bright are the HID's at night? Do you find yourself having to adjust them down for upcoming traffic often or can you leave them at a setting (1,2,3, or 4) and forget it?

** I've been leaving them around setting 2. Since the car sits a little lower I haven't noticed any issues with oncoming drivers. I haven't really driving the back roads at night much and the front roads in Hawaii have a lot of street lights.

* Have you tried drving over non-paved aka 'soft-road' areas yet?
If so how did you find the suspension setup work for you? How harsh or complient is the ride? Now I'm not talking about a RallyCross event here. Just driving over non tarmac road such as dirt and/or gravel road such as what one might find at a state park or the local dump.

** Haven't been off road, but speed bumps require some care as expected.

* If not and/or you're worried about premature tire wear, have you driven over a less than well maintained stretch of road like in a city/town where there are potholes, sinkholes, surface blisters, speedbumps, etc? How is both the ride and cabin noise for this type of non-highway driving?

** I see these tires wearing quickly at which point I'll replace them with S03s or something else. They make a lot of noise. I thought my Falken Azenis were loud, but these win the noise contest hands down. No experience with potholes and as I said speedbumps require a little bit of caution.

* How beneficial/annoying do you find the red illumination of the gauges during the day and night? Audi does the same with their gauges and it seems to be a love/hate thing with owners I have talked to.

** I like the red illumination of the gauges other then trying to find matching gauges (boost, EGT, etc..). I ended up going with the Omori's which have red backlight. I figure nothing matches for a daytime driving, but at least they will match at night.

* Were you able to negotiate in any additional deals/items from your dealer considering you are paying MSRP against the car?
Folks are reporting a mandatory 22B package added on to their vehicles which includes various PIO accessories. I'm thinking we buyers should be able to negotiate price against these unexpected and often unwanted items.

** Our cars came with no dealer options installed. I think most of the folks here in Hawaii payed MSRP on the first shipment. There is talk about markup on later shipments.

Thanks to those responders/owners for your time and support!

- Janq

"Enquiring minds want to know." - The National Enquirer
Old 05-18-2003, 11:45 PM

Car Info: STI
Good job mehlt! That took some work
Old 05-19-2003, 08:06 AM

Janq,
If someone else doesn't answer first I'll check out the spoiler and/or take closeup pictures.

I was split between the Defi and Omori gauges. Went with the Omori's due to cost and imperial units (black face, white letters, red needle). With red backlight at night they should match pretty well. We've had folks email both Def and Omori to see if they plan to do anything special for the STi and the answer at this point is no.

I also noticed I forgot to answer the question about cruising in 30 MPH traffic. I've only been in traffic a few times. I find it much more enjoyable then in the WRX. The lack of low end power/torque in the WRX makes it a chore to drive in traffic. I really hate traffic with a stick shift, but the STi makes it livable. I'd say 2nd is a good gear for 30 MPH though I tend to throw it into 3rd at which point 30 is hard to maintain.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: **Official thread for questions to the owners of Sti**

[B]

* How solid 'feeling' is the car itself and the ride overall?
What I mean by this is does the car feel like a normal or regular Subie/Impreza and that it'll last for the long haul
It feels very solid, although I have had no real experience with the longevity of subarus. I dont think the build quality is on the same level as Honda or Acura, but im happy with it.

* Does it work well IYHO as a commuter car for day to day A to B to C to home use? You know, the Monday through Friday mundane travels where top speed & max handling ability are not emphasized but braking, top gear acceleration and lane change ability are most used.
I use my car as an everyday driver, without the radio it is kinda noisy, but very bearable. Once the radio goes in, you cant hear any road noise. Lane changes on the freeway are effortless, in 5th gear 1/4 throttle 3k rpms...doing about 60 mph...just go to 1/2 throttle and you should be @ 80 mph in a blink of an eye. Top gear acceleration is great (6th is still kinda weak but hey whose isnt?). Brakes are great, took my friends on a test ride was kinda going through the gears and didnt see that stop sign until very late....thought we were going to go in to the intersection...slammed on the brakes and tires didnt even complain...stopped on a dime. We were doing over 60 mph, and stopped before the line. This car is the best for freeway on ramps, if your in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th (might have to be 1/2 throttle)...you will blow by traffic and merge effortlessly.

* What has been your observed fuel usage/mileage city & highway and/or mixed?
I drove mostly on the freeways (hawaii aint got long stretches of road) and cuise @ 60mph in 5th grear @ 3k ish. I get about 18-20 mpg. During the break in period i was getting like 25...but thats under 4k driving, once you start driving the car it is no way staying under 4k unless you have no pulse.

* How does it do chugging along in 30 mph or less traffic? And what gear do you prefer in such case?
When I drive home from my daily commute (all of 9 miles) there is pretty heavy traffic. Im usally driving 30 mph or less...so most times i find myself in 3rd gear....then 2nd and then 1st. for all of you who own a standard car know the deal about clutching, up shifting and downshifting in traffic. The gearbox is nice and smooth compared to the WRX one, but it doesnt feel like my rsx or an s2000.

* How bright are the HID's at night? Do you find yourself having to adjust them down for upcoming traffic often or can you leave them at a setting (1,2,3, or 4) and forget it?
The HID's start of real bright, but it doesnt seem to be blinding. I drive around with um on the 0 setting and never once have been flashed high beams from oncoming cars. Although when i drove around with my friend in his g35 we get flashed all the time.

* Have you tried drving over non-paved aka 'soft-road' areas yet?
If so how did you find the suspension setup work for you? How harsh or complient is the ride? Now I'm not talking about a RallyCross event here. Just driving over non tarmac road such as dirt and/or gravel road such as what one might find at a state park or the local dump.
Took it to the autocross this weekend and we have some gravel areas to park....the tires pick up every single rock that it can find. I can see how much fun it would be to drive it rally style. just drive slow, cause i kringe every time i hear all those rocks getting kicked up.

* If not and/or you're worried about premature tire wear, have you driven over a less than well maintained stretch of road like in a city/town where there are potholes, sinkholes, surface blisters, speedbumps, etc? How is both the ride and cabin noise for this type of non-highway driving?
The ride over crappy roads does get kinda jarring, but if your used to driving a dropped car, it should be nothing new (my rsx on teins is much harsher). Its not a luxuary car, and the ride wont compare to a g35, so dont expect it to ride like that.

* How beneficial/annoying do you find the red illumination of the gauges during the day and night?
the red illumination can be dimmed with the dial on the gauge cluster (left hand side dial) so you can adjust it to your liking. My RSX has the same color and adjustment, but the STi's is much brighter and vibrant....when i get back in my RSX it looks dirty and dull.

* Were you able to negotiate in any additional deals/items from your dealer considering you are paying MSRP against the car?
not really, i got hit with a 2k markup, but they threw in a protection package and free oil changes for life, every 3 months or 3k miles, which ever comes first. I couldnt get around it...so i figure it was ok.

-Snuff
Old 05-19-2003, 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear about the $2K markup though... <ack!>

- Janq

its not to bad...after breaking it down it comes out about even...and i dont have to get all dirty or go out and buy all those oil change things....and if they mess up, i have someone blame hehehe.

-Snuff
Old 05-19-2003, 04:05 PM

After driving this morning I realized I'm usually cruising 30 MPH in 3rd at around 2500 RPMs or so.

I took a closer look at the spoiler/wing and it looks like there are screws that hold the top half to the bottom half (2 on each side). I guess if you uncrewed them (phillip head) you'd have a wing that went up half way with no top. Is that what you were asking about?

Suffyrsx purchase his STi from another dealer (5 Star) and some of us purchased ours from Schuman Subaru. The Schuman Carriage company actually brings in all the Subaru's (I understand they brought in 15 in the first shipment), and then they distribute to 5 Star and their own dealers. I think the Schuman dealers pretty much sold at MSRP on the first shipment, but may be marking up on the next shipments.

If you want to see some pictures of Snuffyrsx's STi at AutoX I posted them in this forum at the end of the thread of more Hawaii pictures.

Last edited by mehlt; 05-19-2003 at 04:10 PM.