Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Why does the stock stereo sound like poo?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
Why does the stock stereo sound like poo?!?!?!

Is it because of the head unit? Or is it because of the speakers? I have the upgraded system too, and i still think it sound like poo.

If possible, i'd like to keep the stock head unit and just upgrade the speakers, so that theives will more likely shy away from my stock interior. But if its the head unit that's the culprit, well then i just might be shopping for another stereo!

Eric
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
If you upgrade the speakers, then the stock HU won't push enough wattage to them to make them sound optimum. This would NOT be getting your $$$'s worth out of the speakers. So, IMO, replacing both at once seems to be the logical thing to do since they compliment one another. You should be able to find a decent deck that fits your needs for ~$200 (new), but once you start shopping, the amenities of the 300-400 range are quite tempting... I know about this myself

Anyway, I hope this of some help, and good luck with de-pooifying the sound of your stereo
Old 05-22-2004, 11:28 AM

Car Info: '04 Platinum Wagon
I agree with 98 that the head unit should be replaced but I'm not ready to give up the 6 disc for a 1 disc (besides, I probably will want to go with some DVD/Navigation thing). I have a 5 channel amp giving 75W to each stock door speaker and 600 to my sub and it sounds pretty good, but not great. Good enough for now. I'm using LOC's which is not the best way to do it but at least I don't have to spend $1500 on the new head unit yet. Definately get a real sub.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i just installed factor upgrade door speakers and sub im my wrx and i love it..

but then again to stock stereo imo was good enough already, now its better tho..
edgar,
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

That sucks, i wish to keep the stock stereo, but then again, i don't want a crappy sound system. I had a $1000 deck in my old civic, and it got broken into and the deck was stolen withing 2 weeks. After that, i've been kinda paranoid about getting a nice stereo, or anything that would have my car broken into again. Thats why i wanted to keep the stock head unit. I figured if i changed the speakers only, i might be able to get a better sounding system, but keep the stock look. How much power does the stock head unit put out to each speaker anyway?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
You can keep the stock deck and just run line out converters to amps and have the upgraded speakers powered by the external amps. The sound quality won't be quite as good as an aftermarket deck, but it will be better than running the upgraded speakers with the stock deck.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The stock HU puts out about 8W/channel. You can't push it too hard without getting serious distortion and this will blow aftermarket speakers more easily than excess power will. With the windows down at highway speed it just doesn't have enough power to keep up. Also the dynamic range is lousy (especially on FM) and there is an "auto loudness" function that artificially boosts the bass at lower volumes and cannot be turned off.
These are reasons why I swapped mine out for an Alpine. I still have the OEM sub.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
I don't know man... playin Human Beat Box on my stock speaks and head unit sounds pretty awesome.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Sorry for the noob question, but what's an LOC?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by MoodyWRX
I am in the same situation as DizzyWRX. I have a '04 WRX and want to keep the stock 6 disc in-dash changer, but add an amp and sub. I got an LOC and have everything set up except for the Remote lead from the head unit. Does anyone know where the remote/accessory wire is on the head unit? Does it even have one? If not, does anyone know of a good alternative? I would appreciate any help.
Check your seperate thread for the wiring diagram.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
well i guess it was either a really nice engine with a turbo and awd setup or a *****in stereo. I think the engine was a better choice
Old 06-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Car Info: GDA
there is no remote/power antenna lead on our wrx system. i tapped into the ignition line to get the lead. there are threads on this on the forums...

Originally Posted by MoodyWRX
I am in the same situation as DizzyWRX. I have a '04 WRX and want to keep the stock 6 disc in-dash changer, but add an amp and sub. I got an LOC and have everything set up except for the Remote lead from the head unit. Does anyone know where the remote/accessory wire is on the head unit? Does it even have one? If not, does anyone know of a good alternative? I would appreciate any help.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Zee

Car Info: 04 White Aspen WRX
get rid of the stock stereo and upgrade!

Quick Reply: Why does the stock stereo sound like poo?!?!?!