Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Very simple SQ-Lite system in a Sti :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Stage 2.5
Very simple SQ-Lite system in a Sti :)

even though i own a subby myself, i hardly ever get to work on subarus but as luck would have it, i manage to do a very simple SQ focused install in an Sti this past week.

This would be most likely the lowest budgeted SQ (active, pillars, dsp etc) install i have ever done...

goals:

1. good SQ on a budget2
2. simple and clean trunk with fake floor

lets get started.

the signal starts with a pioneer premier 800PRS headunit, we utilized its internal DSP for 3 way active. Many of you are famaliar with this unit, and i have installed a hanful of these and its prececessor 880 too. so its a nice simple headunit, even though i still think the TA function is a bit retarded and do wish a true parametic EQ...but it serves it purpose well:

being on a lower budget, you wont see $1k plus comps here, instead, we chose to use Exile Audio's Xtec 65 components. For an under $400 dollar comp, it is a good performer. I like it for its shallow mounting depth and ability to convert to a coaxial configuration.

here is the set for those of you who doesnt know:

the midbass were installed via spacers into the stock lower door location, from working on imprezas before, i know that the door itself, with its stock foam is mostly pretty sell sealed, i focused on putting damping on the problem areas, namly, around the speaker itself on the door, and also heavily aroun the sepaker area on the door card, as that tends to be the major source of buzzing in the impreza:

the tweeters were molded off axis into the stock A pilars, and then wrapped in dark vinyl:

here are three quick build up pics of the pillars.

first hte mold done and strengthend from the inside:

then sanded smooth:

and finally wrapped:

anohter major source of rattle for this particular car was the plastic divider piece behind the seats. this STi has a crossbrace installed there, and when the bass hits, the plastic rattles heavily against the brace, generating a ton of buzz. so i took it out, and on the outter side (where it contacts the brace) placed a layer of ensolite and then trunk liner:

and on the inside, a layer of dampning to prevent nay vibration of the piece itself:

the rear deck also recieved some foam dampening, and the result is prety good, no major buzzing and rattles back there.

moving onto the trunk, as mentioned, the goal was for a simple and stealthy fake floor set up, and here is the normal view, a fake floor in trunk liner with a cutout:

pop open the grille and a offset opening, trimmed in black suede (similar to the inserts in the interior), is a zapco Ifroce 5100.7 7 channel amplifer, and also an idq10. the amp powers the entire system, and sends closer to 200 watts to each midbass, and 35 to the tweeter, the sub receives 600 watts from it as well.

the offset cutout is from the off centered spare tire well of hte impreza:

and one final look at below the floor, with its series of supports and wiring:

overall impression is pretty good. if you are curious on the XT65, here is a quick overview since htis hte first time i have used them in a true active sq oriented set up. what i am most impressed by it is its midrange and highs, very smooth and refined, especially for its price. when i first powerd it up, with just gains set and rough xover set, even with zero eqing, the set did not present any major faults, no obvious tonality problems. with a little ibt of eqing, it sounds pretty darn good. midbass, is not as strong as i am used to, but then again, the ones i am used to, are in general costing 3-4 times as much as this set. so overall, i would reocmmend this set to people who are looking for a lower cost sq set, and espeically to those who have limited mounting depth and/or can use a good coaxial. i thin kif you use it as a midrange and tweet, and then put in a dedicated midbass, you can achieve very nice results by low passing hte midbass pretty low.

sound stage is nice and high with decent focus on the center...and subbass fills the car well...the car, as you know, does have some rattles on the exterior, namly the big wing and various parts of the exterior, mostly from underneath the car...but cant do much about htose

cheers...taking a two week break from now on...time to relax a bit...
Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
heh, can't wait to hear it. Looks beautiful!

Great work, too bad my goals are much less substantial...I wish I could have you do my car too!

I know you're pretty much booked out...

Great job
Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Car Info: 2004 Carbon Black M3
Follow-up

Just to let everybody know, I sold my STi...only after 4 months of putting the system in.

Bing was really helpful in getting the stuff out before I sell it so I can reuse it in my...M3.

Thanks Bing!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
looks good how much did everything cost?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Much less than I expected with the amount of labor and work he put in. The SQ was incredible too. If it weren't for my too loud exhaust, it would've been perfect.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Sorry about the vague reply earlier. I didn't want to quote anything wrong.

I just found the receipt. It was around mid-2K.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
wow thats not that bad at all! the work looks great. How do you like the m3?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Umm...it's very different. Both are great cars but come from a completely different philosophy.

With Subies (I had a WRX Wagon before the STI), it was very simple and really no frills. I mean, how many buttons and ***** are there? Like 10 total?

In the M3, I think there's like 10 things just on the steering wheel and I have no clue what half the controls do.

Having said that, I think my STI felt much faster because of the boost but I feel the M3 handles much better in general because of the RWD...although I was really missing the AWD in the rain yesterday!