Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

stereo noob advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
stereo noob advice needed

i'm thinking about upgrading my sound system in my car, and i'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a setup, system, and installer. i don't know what exactly would go into a process like this, but i imagine they would have to rip stuff out and put stuff in? a big priority for me is that whoever installs it does not damage the interior or messes anything up, so i'm willing to pay good money for quality work.

i'm just not that happy with the stock system, and i've never tried to do something like having the stereo system upgraded in my car, so i have no idea where to start.

thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Car Info: Audi Q5 aka "the old man wagon"
what I did to get good quality sound without spending toooo much was get a JL Cleansweep and a decent 4 channel amp. Its not too hard to install, but it does take some time to cut and splice all the speaker wires. I think it took me somewhere around 4 hours.
JL CS = $200
amp = $65 (used)
RCA cables = $200
Speaker wire = $60

Where in the Bay Area are you located?

Last edited by 1SIKBRU; 09-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 PM

i tried looking up the JL cleansweep, but it's got a lot of words that i don't quite understand lol. it's all a bit confusing because i'm not even sure what kinds of qualities make for good sound, but i'll try to start my research around this product. thanks!

i live in the peninsula. do you know of any good places that could install something like this in the area?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Subwoofers? If you're interested you should check out RE Audio SX series subs. They **** on Type R's and look great too. My 2 10's knock harder than 2 Type R 12's inside the car, even though you can hardly hear **** outside of the car.

I like Kenwood or Alpine decks, and for all of my interior door speakers I'll use Type R 6.5 w/ hifonics amps.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Car Info: Audi Q5 aka "the old man wagon"
I don't know of anywhere in the peninsula. I know of a couple places in the east bay. I wouldn't bother installing subwoofers unless you just want boom. You can get plenty of bass out of a good set of component speakers. Plus you still have the use of your trunk that way.
I understand the want for boom, used to have 6 JL 12w3's in my Accord running off 3600 watts, but it got a bit old after I lost hearing in one ear (It came back 6 months later).
Anyway the reason I like the clean sweep is that it essentially cleans up the signal from your stock deck so then an amp can do its job. If you are going to replace your stock deck then its useless.

How much are you looking to spend on everything?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
From my person experience with stereo systems, if you install any subs make sure that you get an amp for your mids and highs throughout your car. Also don't buy any cheap stuff, spend a little bit more money for a better product. Nor would I buy anything used unless you have it tested before hand...

Also a new deck makes things sound a lot better as well

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 08 kawasaki ninja zx6r
what are really looking for? you want the bass you want clean crisp sound or just all around? bcuz i do alot of car audio and idk every1 has they're own preference.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM

i guess i'm just going for a little bang-for-buck.

i'd like the sound to be a bit clearer. right now, it sounds kinda muffled or very low on treble(?). i don't if it has to do with the reception, but even CDs sound not that great. i don't need crazy amounts of bass. i think i'd be okay with the way it is now, but the biggest thing for me is the clarity of the audio.

i don't know how much these kinds of systems run, but i think i'd be willing to spend a few hundred dollars. maybe up to $500? is this something that can be done by simply replacing my speakers, or do i need to add a bunch of new components? i'd like minimal "invasion" of the car if possible.

thanks to all you guys for your help!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX STI Sedan
sound system

what do you have exactly for a system? do you even have a sub? or is it just factory speakers?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 PM

just the factory speakers. i think it's just the 4 on the doors
Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 AM

just get some components 4 your speakers and a 4 channel amp push all 4. you should be good to go. i myself prefer mb quarts theyre pretty good speakers. And if you decide to get abit of bass a 8 inch sub is enough like the bazooka tubes they got power as well
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 AM

here check this site out save u money if you decide to get car audio. this is where i go.
www.sonicelectronix.com
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by AFTERBURNER
here check this site out save u money if you decide to get car audio. this is where i go.
www.sonicelectronix.com
great. thanks for the info!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
pacific stereo in redwood city will hook it up if im there. a boston acoustic 6 1/2" component system with the right amount of power will sound great, maybe add in a alpine type s for great range and some bass. A new headunit is a must. Stockers suckkkk. If you're looking for installation I do plenty so hit me up, I won't charge much.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
Get a good set of speakers inside and go with a 5 channel alpine pdx amp. The Pdx amps run very efficient and very safe. Then get a nice little sub in the back...it will sounds great.

Quick Reply: stereo noob advice needed