Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Stereo / Headunit install - 2004 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:22 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i Wagon
Stereo / Headunit install - 2004 RS

I have a 2004 2.5RS and I'm trying to find helpful (newbie-friendly) DIY instructions for replacing the stock HU with aftermarket unit.

Please post if you can help.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
First go to Circuit City or a steroe shop of your choice get a Subaru install kit also get the wire harness will eliminate the cutting of any factory wires you will connect the HU harness to it then plug it into the harness coming from the car. Now as for getting the stock HU out I remove the cup holder just makes it a little easier to pull trim piece off. Next gentle pull off the trim bezel that surrounds the HU and AC controls you can either remove it completely or move it out of the way and there should be only four screws I believe holding in stock HU once it is out then you can do the steps mentioned above. Hope this helps it's a real simple instructions. You could try this but pictures are not very good but instructions are there http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159
Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 AM

Thanks.

I believe my aftermarket HU has the required wiring harness (bought it used from another Subaru owner).

The link you posted though is for the older Impreza's (GC8)... I have a 2004 and its quite different.

Originally Posted by silver satin
First go to Circuit City or a steroe shop of your choice get a Subaru install kit also get the wire harness will eliminate the cutting of any factory wires you will connect the HU harness to it then plug it into the harness coming from the car. Now as for getting the stock HU out I remove the cup holder just makes it a little easier to pull trim piece off. Next gentle pull off the trim bezel that surrounds the HU and AC controls you can either remove it completely or move it out of the way and there should be only four screws I believe holding in stock HU once it is out then you can do the steps mentioned above. Hope this helps it's a real simple instructions. You could try this but pictures are not very good but instructions are there http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159
Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
easy as cake.
Open cupholder, remove to screws, pull out cupholder.
Pull trim piece from upper right gently down.Move down and to the left side until the whole silver trim piece comes out.
Then remove 6 screws and the entire bracket comes out. Remove the screws on the stock unit, pop in the new one and reverse the process(but put the cupholder back in first before the trim piece). Shouldn't take you more than about 10 minutes.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by neptune
I believe my aftermarket HU has the required wiring harness (bought it used from another Subaru owner).
Ok I lied. Looks like its a JVC harness in the box, not a Subaru. And looks like the wires need to be soldered on.

Will buying a Subaru wiring harness eliminate soldering?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
you'll need to solder but not to the actual cars wiring. All you'll do is solder the JVC harness to the Subaru harness. Plug the subaru end into the car, the JVC end into the headunit and you're all set. Make sure you connect the power antenna wire otherwise your radio won't work well. The 04's have that in glass antenna and the power antenna wire triggers the built in amplifier for it.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:05 AM

Sounds good!

Went around to a couple of stores yesterday looking for the Subaru wire harness... nobody got them
Gonna keep looking...

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
you'll need to solder but not to the actual cars wiring. All you'll do is solder the JVC harness to the Subaru harness. Plug the subaru end into the car, the JVC end into the headunit and you're all set. Make sure you connect the power antenna wire otherwise your radio won't work well. The 04's have that in glass antenna and the power antenna wire triggers the built in amplifier for it.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:43 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
www.sounddomain.com has them
Old 05-31-2004, 08:26 AM

Well folks, the stereo went on this weekend on Saturday.

Pretty easy like most said - remove cupholder, trim, housing, remove stock headunit; install replacement headunit, screw in housing, pop back trim, screw back cupholder.

Thanks everyone!