Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX-SW-kartboy SS-Dynamat-JazzyBoard
road noise

I was thinking about starting to sound proof my 06 WRX SW.

I searched and read a lot of posts on the subject, checked different methods and products, but I still have doubts.
The car is fine when traveling over smooth new rubberized asphalt, as we have on some parts of HW 680 here in the bay, but back on the concrete it feels like having wheels made out of wood. Terrible.

I checked the trunk and there is actually a thick layer of styrfoam type insulation under the wooden panel, around the spare tire. I was thinking about either luxury Liner from secondskin or a double layer of dynamat IN the spare tire weel, the doors with SSkin as well and the floor with some sort of close cell foam....camping sleeping pads came up to mind as a cheap option.

Question is is the difference worth it? Dynamat/sskin are pretty expensive, and the project looks quite time consuming, I do like working on the car, but I'd like to know if someone did it alreay on a 06 SW, how much it cost and if it was worth it in the end...
I figure that changing tires will probably improve the ride a lot more, but I can't do that now, besides the tires are stiill new.

thanks!

Update....

Cound't resist..bought 2 rolls of Dynamat at Fry's...I'll do the doors this weekend.

this stuff looks interesting too to fill gaps. http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/diy/why.htm spray expanding insulating foam.

Last edited by BlueBlurr; 11-09-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 AM

i've tried tackling this issue myself (second skin audio sludge).

i have probably the worst setup for it with a stage 2 wrx sedan (tanabe exhaust/ dowpipe, 18" rims and lowered) it definitely adds to the road noise.

fortunately i have a company car every other month and just throw my wrx on jacks to work on it in the garage.

so far i've used the sludge and coated certain parts on the bottom of my car inluding the heat shields (non-reflective side) and some of the essential sections. i plan on doing the same to the interior and using some mat for the doors in time. i've also added a silencer to my exhaust.

expensive? not too bad for the sludge and i estimate the mat to not be too bad.

its definitely time consuming if your going to do it yourself but leaving it with someone else isn't as much fun and its damn expensive.

so cost isn't to bad but you have to wonder if your ever going to want that time attack monster out of your sw. it does add significant weight over time with all the layers.

good luck.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
to notably reduce noise by adding mass (sludge, deadener) you have to double the mass.

i used luxury liner in my Vette... works very well. But NO holes! 10% opening lets in 90% of sound...