Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Custom Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 09:02 PM

Talking Custom Door Panels

I found this picture on vivid racing’s forums. Does anybody have any idea where I could get door panels like these? Has anybody ever seen them? I want to know why the F*** the OEM panels aren’t like this in the first place!
Attached Thumbnails Custom Door Panels-wrx-door-panel.jpg  
Old 12-11-2002, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I would guess that they are just the stock door panels. The only difference is that they just cut out the stock speaker grill area and put in a better speaker with a much better grill.

But, why does that look photochopped?

They are not like that because it is cheaper to produce the original grill which was molded as a piece to the panel.

Last edited by ImprezaRSDriver; 12-11-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:41 AM

those are oem panels with some fiberglass work on them to make it so that the deep speakers will fit. a very nice job if u know how or get someone to do it.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
nice looking setup, but if you were going to go to all the trouble to glass a door panel, why would you leave the tweeter in that crap location?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Look at the 05 STi door panels, it looks like someone took the lower portion off that and put it on 02-03 top portions.

My .02

Austin
Old 10-30-2005, 05:12 PM

i see, that makes sense...very creative of them.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
I'm in the process of finishing up a second set of panels for my car. i wasn't happy with the imaging of the first set so i'm making another. i'll post some pics when im done. it isn't too hard to make a set like that. its just takes some practice and paitence.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 PM

Door panels or kicks? Did you fiberglass them? I'd love to see pics of the process you go through as well as the finished product. I'm planning on doing a project like that myself.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jaydwil
Door panels or kicks? Did you fiberglass them? I'd love to see pics of the process you go through as well as the finished product. I'm planning on doing a project like that myself.
I'm making door panels. Kicks wouldnt work too well with me b/c i would proabbly step on them every time i get in and out.
I started by laying down a flat single layer of fiberglass on the area where the stock speaker grill is to stiffen up the area. then i glued some dowels to a ring that i made and played around with the direction the speakers would be facing. next you have to lay down some fleece over everything and soak it in resin and lay a layer of fiberglass mat over that once it starts to dry. the rest is just shaping the panedl with duraglass and some other bondo like products.
i know it hard to see it just by reading it but check out this website that shows you how to create projects.

http://slakin.net/SubBox/
http://ccs.exl.info/frame_installation.html
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

i'll post up some pics when im done with my door panels.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to see your door panels.

One of the links shows my car!
http://slakin.net/SubBox/

I'd llike to do something like this, but with a JL 10w7. I think I'd also like to either do kicks or change the door panels. The door panel sounds a lot more difficult, though, so I'd be interested in seeing your design.

J
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jaydwil
Thanks for the info, I can't wait to see your door panels.
I'd llike to do something like this, but with a JL 10w7. I think I'd also like to either do kicks or change the door panels. The door panel sounds a lot more difficult, though, so I'd be interested in seeing your design.
Did you already buy the W7? they are nice but require alot of space and don't offer the best sound reproduction. there are alot of W7 fanbois out there b/c they but out alot of power but its alot of raw beat rather than really good tight bass. listen to them first. you might be able to find a slimilar sub with less space reqirements.

if you plan to make one send me a PM and i'll write up some instructions to follow along with some of the turorials in thoes links.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

too bad you cant make a tweeter pod right above the woofer opening...

or can you...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ldivinag
too bad you cant make a tweeter pod right above the woofer opening...

or can you...
its possible.. just more work. the stock tweeter location is pretty good but not as bass *** looking.

hmmmm..... clean or badass????
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by DLUX WRX
Did you already buy the W7? they are nice but require alot of space and don't offer the best sound reproduction. there are alot of W7 fanbois out there b/c they but out alot of power but its alot of raw beat rather than really good tight bass. listen to them first. you might be able to find a slimilar sub with less space reqirements.

if you plan to make one send me a PM and i'll write up some instructions to follow along with some of the turorials in thoes links.

I've had one now for about 8 months in a prefab factory box. I've got to disagree with you about the bass reproduction, i find that it's clean and musical. That being said, if I adjust the gain on the amp just a little, I can probably blow the windows out of my car. I've seen a few different w7 configs in these forums, and I'm sort of up in the air about whether I want to go ahead and make it work in my car. If I were to find a normal sub (or pair of subs) that compared well with the w7, and wouldn't require so much enclosure space, I'd sell mine and buy it. I've also considered getting an 8w7 instead.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by DLUX WRX
its possible.. just more work. the stock tweeter location is pretty good but not as bass *** looking.

hmmmm..... clean or badass????

a true artist will do both...

i dare ya... i double dare ya!

take a look at the q-logic kick panels...

Quick Reply: Custom Door Panels