Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Car alarm/fuel pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Question Car alarm/fuel pump questions

Okay, here's the summary. I went to restart my car (04 STi) and didn't hear the fuel pump. Got it towed to a Subaru shop. They said it was the "main relay" for the fuel pump. They replaced it, said it started again, but on subsequent starts it would only work intermittently. The tech said he shook the car alarm's control system (Clifford IG850) and it would work correctly. So they said no warranty coverage to the tune of $286. Alright, so I took it to a car alarm installer (not the original shop as I moved cross country). The installer tested the electrical connections and thought it was all good. He said there might have been a loose connection on the ignition/starter wires. He also showed me where to reset the car alarm, but there was no need to do that. He also added that the original installers did a careful job. So it seems unclear where the problem is.

So, my questions are:
1. If the problem happens after the engine is running, is the engine going to stop? I'm concerned because I do mostly highway driving in the Bay Area (in the left lane).
2. Is the main relay at risk again of being damaged? (Is it even possible or was the relay's condition initially misdiagnosed?) It would be nice not to go through this again.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
It's hard to say without knowing exactly how the alarm is wired. If the installer connected the alarm to the main or fuel pump relays and said connection is intermittent or otherwise unsound, then yes there is a chance that the car could stall while driving. You need to get this checked out more thoroughly and resolved 100% before driving the car in traffic. It would be a good idea to contact the original installer to confirm exactly what they did so whoever looks at it now doesn't have to "reverse engineer" the installation.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks Mulder. I'll try contacting the original installer.

The Subaru manager suggested I get the factory alarm installed (presumably so that the electrical system is all under warranty).
Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
I'm not surprised that Subaru suggested that. However it's probably a bit late for that now that an aftermarket system has been installed. Also you should be aware that the factory alarm, unless enhanced with additional layers of protection, is not all that effective at preventing theft. A large number of WRX's and STi's equipped with the factory alarm have been stolen in the Tri-State area (NJ mostly).
Old 01-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I agree about the factory alarm. I was tempted to say to the manager's suggestion, "Are you serious? For an STi?" Before buying the car I read too many stories of WRX's getting stolen with the factory alarm. I got the Clifford because I was living close to Newark NJ. Got my car from Oradell in fact.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same related problem but a friend of mine have a Clifford Avertguard 4 (2yrs. old). when he first installed it in his 03 WRX, his car would die in the middle of the freeway or street after drving for a week and had to bypass the alarm system. He called DEI (clifford owner). Because the alarm has starter kill and iqnition kill (fuel cut) and there is only one ignition wire from Subaru, usually theres two (main ignition and 2nd ignition - this is for heater & AC. He had to add a 30 amp relay to bypass the ignition out put from the alarm. This is how the starter kill and ignition kill system is set up. You have one starter wire and one ignition wire, both get cut in half and gets connected to the alarm. Now the starter and ignition has to pass through the alarm to get to the car side. Subaru ignition system burned out Clifford's ignition resistor, so thats why his car killed because there was no igniton going through the alarm to the engine. Clifford alarm has a very low resistor for the ignition, like 10amp and Subaru has like 20-30 amps going through the alarm. The reason Subaru have so high of a amp because it only have one ignition wire, usually other car makers have at least 2-3 ignitions. I had the same set up on MY04 WRX and I have no problem with it. I would first ask a shop first. Hope this helped out and that you guys understand it.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by Eric94501
I'm not sure if this is the same related problem but a friend of mine have a Clifford Avertguard 4 (2yrs. old). when he first installed it in his 03 WRX, his car would die in the middle of the freeway or street after drving for a week and had to bypass the alarm system. He called DEI (clifford owner). Because the alarm has starter kill and iqnition kill (fuel cut) and there is only one ignition wire from Subaru, usually theres two (main ignition and 2nd ignition - this is for heater & AC. He had to add a 30 amp relay to bypass the ignition out put from the alarm. This is how the starter kill and ignition kill system is set up. You have one starter wire and one ignition wire, both get cut in half and gets connected to the alarm. Now the starter and ignition has to pass through the alarm to get to the car side. Subaru ignition system burned out Clifford's ignition resistor, so thats why his car killed because there was no igniton going through the alarm to the engine. Clifford alarm has a very low resistor for the ignition, like 10amp and Subaru has like 20-30 amps going through the alarm. The reason Subaru have so high of a amp because it only have one ignition wire, usually other car makers have at least 2-3 ignitions. I had the same set up on MY04 WRX and I have no problem with it. I would first ask a shop first. Hope this helped out and that you guys understand it.
The Avantguad5 uses a relay. But I'm not sure if the heater/AC are a relay. The source now uses a 30amp fuse.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
The Avantguad5 uses a relay. But I'm not sure if the heater/AC are a relay. The source now uses a 30amp fuse.
Oh yeah, maybe I should upgrade mind.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 AM

I caught some of the explanation. What is the alarm's ignition resistor used for? Shouldn't the alarm use relays to turn on/off the ignition and starter?

I did notice the fan wouldn't work when the fuel pump wouldn't work.