Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Can you do an ISO mount on a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Can you do an ISO mount on a WRX?

I was wondering if I could do an ISO mount for my kenwood headunit on my WRX? is it possible? has anyone done it?
Thanks,
zoeb
Old 01-22-2003, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sportwagon, MBP
Yes - the stock head unit is a double-din ISO standard mount. Scoobymods.com has instructions for removing the trim unit that surrounds the stereo. You will need a wiring harness and a Din pocket, assuming that the kenwood unit is a single-din unit. If it's a double-din unit, then you don't need the din pocket, just the harness

You can get both from crutchfield - just call them up and tell them you need a DIN pocket and wiring harness for a subaru WRX.

the wiring harness, and the one that came with your kenwood unit are color coded to an ISO standard. just match the colors, and solder everything together. (you can also use wire nuts, but solder/heatshrink is a lot cleaner) You'll probably only need 3-5" of wire between the back of the head unit and the wiring harness connector.

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON YOUR BATTERY BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW HEAD UNIT

drop me a PM if you have any other questions.

blitz
Old 01-22-2003, 03:32 PM
I <3 White Girls

what if my deck has the trim plate built on to it...can I still use my deck if that is the case???...like can I mount it w/o using ISO...like using the metal sleeve....I just thought about that right now..I wasnt thinking about it when I posted this question..
Old 01-22-2003, 05:08 PM

First, let me say the easiest thing for you to do is just take off the trim piece and see what's going on there for yourself. The stock stereo is mounted to the dash using two brackets. One screws onto each side of the head unit, and in turn, into the dash.

I just swapped out my head unit for a JVC KD-SH707... it came with a trim unit and a sleeve. The trim unit MIGHT have been usable, but it is unnecessary, and would have protrouded from the opening. The width of the stock unit, and the opening itself are both EXACTLY the width of an ISO DIN opening. Most trim pieces are wider than the head unit itself, so you aren't supposed to use them. The sleeve is completely unnecessary. You MUST you the factory brackets to attach the unit.

That being said, if the depth of the trim piece worked properly, and you had mounting holes on the kenwood unit that would let you line up the trim piece properly with the front of the dashboard, then it might work, but i doubt that will be the case.

check out this thread from scoobymods - it has a lot of good pictures of the brackets and the way everything is held together:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1132

hope all that helps.

Blitz

also - if you're looking to sell your stock unit once all is said and done, assuming you've got the in-dash 6CD changer, and it's in great shape, i've got a friend with a legacy who's looking to buy one, for around $150, shipped..

Last edited by blitzoid; 01-22-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:27 PM

the only other thing that occurred to me -

you MIGHT (and this would be a real stretch) be able to rivet the sleeve onto the stock brackets, and then use the sleeve, but i'm not sure if it would still fit in the dash opening. It's something to consider as a last resort, but ultimately, it would be a lot easier to sell your kenwood unit on ebay and buy something else. If you've got cash to burn, check out any of the following units:

Blaupunkt San Jose - plays MP3 CDs, but no real frills. It can be paired with a single-DIN 5 disc in dash changer. both are real cheap on ebay.

JVC KD-SH707 - the one i got - $230 @ sounddomain.com. I have no complaints, and it blends in really nicely with the trim colors. You can add a 12-disc changer on later, if you want.

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP - one of the sexiest players out there... has a really neat double display function, but read some reviews of it first.

Sony CDX-MP70 - it's a sony. great sound, great looks, and costs too much. (what else would you expect?) but you might be able to find it at a good price either on ebay or at a smaller electronics supplier.

really, just check out crutchfield for fitment, and then look elsewhere for better prices. Just to give you an idea of the savings to be had - the JVC unit i got for $230 is selling for about as much on ebay (one shipping is factored in) but costs $350 @ crutchfield.

Again, regardless of which unit you buy, you will need a subaru harness (~$5-10) and a DIN pocket (~$5-10) note - the DIN blanks sized for late-model toyotas should fit. Nissian ones will not, but you might as well order those two pieces from crutchfield, pay the extra few $$ and guarantee you'll get pieces that will work.

one last thing - test your wiring harness job with a circuit tester before you go taking your dash apart.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:55 PM
I <3 White Girls

actually the trim piece is ATTACHED on my deck...thats where the keys are built in...its a rare, high model kenwood thats why I want to keep it...I dont really have money to put into a NEW deck...I just thought that if I can put the deck I already have in I would do it...if not i'll jus have to save my pennies and get a different deck later on down the line....
Old 01-23-2003, 02:52 PM

Interesting...
Well, check out that page on scoobymods, and try to make it fit... i'd love to see a pic when you're done.

good luck.
blitz
Old 01-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I <3 White Girls

I just figured out that I can do the ISO Mount...I took off the bracked and there are a few things I had to remove..But it is possible..it looks like its gonna look pretty sweet in the opening...I cant wait to get it in...I need to go out and buy the harness now...

Thanks for all your help and I may be posting here later for install help.

-Zoeb
Old 01-24-2003, 08:02 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
i have a kenwood cd player i put into my 02 rs, the trim looks the same as the wrx, the only problem i had was that it, the cd player has to kinda sit behind or underneth the factory trim peice, the platisc silver thing that goes around the temp *****. it almost seems to wide to fit flush. but all you need to do is take the brackets of the stock radio, and use the mounting screws from the stock unit, and screw them onto the new one, and it fits fine.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:30 PM
I <3 White Girls

Originally posted by Bagin,DVS
i have a kenwood cd player i put into my 02 rs, the trim looks the same as the wrx, the only problem i had was that it, the cd player has to kinda sit behind or underneth the factory trim peice, the platisc silver thing that goes around the temp *****. it almost seems to wide to fit flush. but all you need to do is take the brackets of the stock radio, and use the mounting screws from the stock unit, and screw them onto the new one, and it fits fine.
Which Brackets do I need to take off the stock unit?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:11 AM

two brackets. The ones that those 6 screws went into.

One bracket is on each side of the unit.

AGAIN, CHECK THE SCOOBYMODS LINK. IT HAS GREAT PICTURES OF THE UNIT AND EVERYTHING. USE IT!!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 06:11 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
the side 0nes with the 6 screw holes. the other thing is you have to try different depthes of the head unit to get it to fit.