Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Big problems- Stereo install. Help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
Ok, I am no expert about stereo stuff but here is my .02. I just got my stereo installed in my suby and I could have done it but decided to let people who do it daily because they know what they r doing. When I was talking to them about what they were going to do for my car, one of the things they did was mount a separate breaker with a fuse in it from the normal fuse box. The reason they did this was one, because if I wanted to work on my stereo I would only have to pull that one fuse and it wouldn’t kill anything else in my car. Two, they said that it would cut down on noise or feedback (something like that). I can't really explain more because he got really technical on me.

Also, I have a 5 channel Sony running my door speakers and I have no problems with it. But I must add that ever since Sony started their explode series; their products have gone down the crapper. All there old school amps run better than there new stuff. wanna good amp? Get a Rockford Fosgate or zapco.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:52 AM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
I agree. But I am commited to trying to do everything that I can do to fix it now.

If after all my options are exhausted then I will take it someplace.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:54 AM

Thas cool.

I might end up doing that. Right now I am goign to try getting a new (good quality RCA cable) and see if that help. On top of that I am getting new low noise line out converters.

So lets see if any of that helps.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:36 AM

Well I ran RCAs outside the car this weekend. Problem stayed the same no matter what. SO I installed a better set of converters to go from line out to RCA. And this did not help. So I used the adjustments on the converters and turned them down. When I got to a ceartain level the whine went away. So I figured problem solved. However I went to play the stero and came to find out that with a lower setpoint on the converter you get more lower sounds.

I was getting all these bass sounds coming from my speakers when playing music even though I had the amp switched to high pass. So if I turn up the level on the line out converters I get better sound but I get noise. Where I turn it down I get poor sound but no noise. Son't knwo what to do.

Also another strange thing is this. The converter came with a 5th terminal for ground. Directions said not to hook it up unless it was nessassary for the amp to work. Well it is not nessassary but I tried it to see what it would do. When I hooked it up I immediatly got noise. However I found that the noise now stayed the same no matter how low or hihg I turned the converter up or down.

Do you think it is still just a poor ground? I am so confused about this. Need more help.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:40 AM

Guys I need your input.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:12 AM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
Go to a shop and get it installed. If you add up all the time and money you have spent trying to get the stereo installed, it would have probably been cheaper to get it installed professionally. It only cost me $400 for my deck, 2 amps, 4 door speakers, and a box to be installed. Plus high quality rca's, and a new phoenix gold breaker by the battery so when I want to work on it I just hit a button, which cuts the power to my system. Just get it installed at a shop man. Also, I had them run 4 gauge power wire through out my car.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:11 PM

Again you are missing the point. I have put time and effort into it. So I want to get it done. I do not have another 400 dollars to go spend. So that is not really an option.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 AM

I will take any suggestions at this point.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:42 AM

Been real sick and unable to work on the car in any way. Still is nto working properly. But I still have to try a new amp to see if that is the problem. If not then I assume it is the head unit and the lne out converters.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 00 rs GC8
hey here my opinion. as a professional installer told me, good clear, crisp sound is to have 1) the best grounding u can find, 2) always fuse the thing the right way( fuse within 12" of battery), and 3) BEST quality RCAs, like monster or something better. im currently running 2 12" competition sub bridged into a Lanzar 2000w competition amp into a 2 farad cap. running at 4 ga, and i brought these RCA cable for like $70, very high quality, never had a problem with interference or stuff. my spl and sq are high also. same concepted apples to all in one combo, iswhat i thinks.

the alternator noise, are the belt grinding on to something, really u should ask a mechanic to check that out, before it goes worst.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon.
I had the same problem in my Wagon.

I ended up running the HU ground and the Amp Ground to the same EXACT point in the chassis.. I skimmed through th posts, didnt see anyone commenting on this..

The floorpan is a terrible place to ground, If you look at it, there are many seams that may or may not be welded properly.. just run a ground cable up front preferably to the block, And then run the HU to the same spot I have an aftermarket HU, and kept getting stupid ground Loop isolation errors.. this was the only thing that fixed it after months..

just my toils with the car..

give it a shot, run a ground i know you should use the same gauge.. double a 4ga would be sick.. ridiculous, theres no need. as long as its the same gauge you should be ok.. I would try it out of the car first. also running clean power fromt he battery never hurt anything.

lemme know if this helps!

Quick Reply: Big problems- Stereo install. Help...