Would you change...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:16 PM

Car Info: 05 RSTurbo Wagon
Would you change...

Im just wondering...

Im in my 2nd year of college and I thought i figured out what I would like to major in, but ....I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!
What did you major in and what do you do for a living? If you are not happy about it...what would you change????

:marchmellow:
Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
meh i didnt need the degree for what i do

i like my job

i get to post like no other hehe
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Niki, its no biggie still to be confused, my girlfriend is just now finishing her first year and has no clue
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i graduated last year and i still have no clue
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by Niki2.5RsWgn
Im just wondering...

Im in my 2nd year of college and I thought i figured out what I would like to major in, but ....I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!
What did you major in and what do you do for a living? If you are not happy about it...what would you change????

:marchmellow:
I majored in mathematics and computer science and almost a minor in electrical engineering. I'm currently a slave, although I do enjoy my day to day work task. I'm happy about where I'm at now but there is always room for improvement.
If there is one thing i can change, i'd probably choose another school for my degree, something out here in Cali, NorCal or SoCal. I do wonder if I'd survive in pursuing in other degrees.

What you want to do is probably figure out what you're interested in doing or working as for living. You don't have to have a career that must be relevant to the type of degree you're going to earn. For example, two of my friends from Chicago majored in Computer Science at U of I. Currently one of them is a VP of Business Dev for a loan company. His first job was at General Electric Medical as a process engineer. That job has absolutely nothing to do with programming. The other friend with a computer science degree, is currently a security trader / broker. He loves his tasks and his job has nothing to do with programming nor computer science. A final example would be another one of my friend with an electrical engineering degree. He is currently a patent examiner in D.C. The job is easy going with easy tasks. He loves the fact that he gets every other Fridays off because he works for the government. He also has great benefit along with it, but the thing is, his job has nothing to do with electrical engineering nor circuit design, totally irrelevant.

The bottom line is, you can probably finish getting the degree that you think you can benefit from later on, then figure out what you're interested on and pursue your goal, while having a degree as a back up if your degree is irrelevant to what you want to pursue in.

If you like to take things apart and rebuild them with calculations and logics, be an engineer. If you like to talk out of your *** and persuade people, get into sales.

Last edited by hey1; 05-07-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx
when i applied to college i wanted to be an architect, but i was rejected however, i got in another program called urban regional planning, and now i'm a transportation planner.

my dad taught me that it doesn't mater waht you major in. the point is to graduate. Its always nice to have a major that u can pass classes with ease vs major that requires u do to tons of work with a very low chance of passing classes.

and theres always something called grad school.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
I started school as a Electrical engineering major, then spent three semesters undeclared. I finally realized that what I enjoyed was English, so that became my major. Then I set about finding a career in which I could use my degree that wasn't teaching. I graduated in Dec. '06 and am currently working as a Technical Writer for a high tech company. Two things I would suggest: choose a major you enjoy (classes won't feel like such a chore) and get an internship or some kind of work experience. I was hired by the company I interned for.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by theheckwithyou
when i applied to college i wanted to be an architect, but i was rejected however, i got in another program called urban regional planning, and now i'm a transportation planner.

my dad taught me that it doesn't mater waht you major in. the point is to graduate. Its always nice to have a major that u can pass classes with ease vs major that requires u do to tons of work with a very low chance of passing classes.

and theres always something called grad school.
It is important to pick something you can pass and it'd be nice to pass with ease. However, it all really depends on how driven you are on pursuing what you REALLY want. If you really want a nice body, you workout and apply discipline to yourself. If you really want a hot girl, you'll have to study on how and when to make your move.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
I changed my major 3 times
from Graphic design 1st year
to Mechanical engineering 1st year
to Computer information system 2nd year
to finally graduated with International business & Marketing
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Car Info: oh seben lay-gah-C
Started college as electronic engineeering then decided i wanna be a hacker instead so i'm in IT now and lubing it
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrb wrx wagon
I got a bs in physics, then became and IT guy , now im a bum
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
I started out in graphic design, then changed my mind at the end of my second year. I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and am currently an energy efficiency engineer. I love my job, but it really does depend on who you work with/for. I was doing the same kind of work at my previous company, but my boss was horrible (thus my quick move out of socal). Because of the late change in major, I had a lot of ME classes I had to catch up on. I transferred after my 3rd year at the jc and graduated in three more (6 total ).

Take your time and figure out what you enjoy doing. I stumbled upon ME after taking some classes that were completely unrelated to graphic design, but sounded fun. Don't feel like you need to pick now and graduate in 4.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx
Originally Posted by hey1
It is important to pick something you can pass and it'd be nice to pass with ease. However, it all really depends on how driven you are on pursuing what you REALLY want. If you really want a nice body, you workout and apply discipline to yourself. If you really want a hot girl, you'll have to study on how and when to make your move.
i think my dad told me that because he knew i was a lazy bum haha
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by shim022
I started out in graphic design, then changed my mind at the end of my second year. I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and am currently an energy efficiency engineer. I love my job, but it really does depend on who you work with/for. I was doing the same kind of work at my previous company, but my boss was horrible (thus my quick move out of socal). Because of the late change in major, I had a lot of ME classes I had to catch up on. I transferred after my 3rd year at the jc and graduated in three more (6 total ).

Take your time and figure out what you enjoy doing. I stumbled upon ME after taking some classes that were completely unrelated to graphic design, but sounded fun. Don't feel like you need to pick now and graduate in 4.

what a slacker seri
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrb wrx wagon
i was a super senior too, i took 4 years 2 quarters

Quick Reply: Would you change...