ISP DSL CABLE nerd talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Car Info: oh seben lay-gah-C
Metered Internet access is a fact of life for many broadband users around the world, but has been largely a nonfactor when it comes to wired broadband in the US. That may change, according to a memo leaked to the Broadband Reports forums. If the memo is to be believed, Time Warner Cable will be rolling out what it calls "Consumption Based Billing" on a trial basis in the Beaumont, Texas area.

Under the proposed scheme, new customers will be able to choose from a couple of different plans with varying bandwidth caps. They'll be given online tools to monitor usage and will be able to upgrade to the next higher tier of service to avoid charges for exceeding their monthly bandwidth limit. If the trial works well, Time Warner would then roll out bandwidth caps to current customers: "We will use the results of the trial to evaluate results for possible future nationwide rollouts," reads the memo.

Bandwidth caps have been a sore subject for some users who have found themselves bumping into mysterious, undefined limits. This past fall, a number of Comcast subscribers complained that their service was cut off after having reached Comcast's bandwidth limit. The problem is that Comcast (and other ISPs) do not publicize what limits they have in place. Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy, for instance, offers users only a vague warning against "generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information."

Absent hard, publicized bandwidth caps, broadband providers' only alternatives are implementing the kinds of nebulous caps Comcast has been criticized for, engaging in traffic shaping to lighten the burden on the network, or making their networks robust enough to handle demand (I'll take door number three). Both Comcast and *** have been pilloried for using forged reset packets to thwart P2P transfers. *** defends the practice, saying that it's necessary to "ensure the best possible online experience for customers."

Putting caps in place as is apparently planned by Time Warner would remove the uncertainty for high-volume users, and would force the heaviest consumers of bandwidth to pay accordingly. The downside is that companies with bandwidth caps could find themselves at a marketing disadvantage to ISPs without set limits.

Time Warner Cable did not immediately respond to a phone call requesting comment on whether the memo is legitimate and it is indeed planning to instituted tiered bandwidth caps.

Update

Although we have been unable to connect with a Time Warner spokesperson, the company has since confirmed the plans to Reuters.
D'oh?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx
cable sucks
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by theheckwithyou
cable sucks
how so?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by silentkry
how so?
uhh

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...ostcount=10119

i believe u posted about a data cap for cable services

thats why it sucks
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
Metered Internet access is a fact of life for many broadband users around the world, but has been largely a nonfactor when it comes to wired broadband in the US. That may change, according to a memo leaked to the Broadband Reports forums. If the memo is to be believed, Time Warner Cable will be rolling out what it calls "Consumption Based Billing" on a trial basis in the Beaumont, Texas area.

Under the proposed scheme, new customers will be able to choose from a couple of different plans with varying bandwidth caps. They'll be given online tools to monitor usage and will be able to upgrade to the next higher tier of service to avoid charges for exceeding their monthly bandwidth limit. If the trial works well, Time Warner would then roll out bandwidth caps to current customers: "We will use the results of the trial to evaluate results for possible future nationwide rollouts," reads the memo.

Bandwidth caps have been a sore subject for some users who have found themselves bumping into mysterious, undefined limits. This past fall, a number of Comcast subscribers complained that their service was cut off after having reached Comcast's bandwidth limit. The problem is that Comcast (and other ISPs) do not publicize what limits they have in place. Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy, for instance, offers users only a vague warning against "generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information."

Absent hard, publicized bandwidth caps, broadband providers' only alternatives are implementing the kinds of nebulous caps Comcast has been criticized for, engaging in traffic shaping to lighten the burden on the network, or making their networks robust enough to handle demand (I'll take door number three). Both Comcast and *** have been pilloried for using forged reset packets to thwart P2P transfers. *** defends the practice, saying that it's necessary to "ensure the best possible online experience for customers."

Putting caps in place as is apparently planned by Time Warner would remove the uncertainty for high-volume users, and would force the heaviest consumers of bandwidth to pay accordingly. The downside is that companies with bandwidth caps could find themselves at a marketing disadvantage to ISPs without set limits.

Time Warner Cable did not immediately respond to a phone call requesting comment on whether the memo is legitimate and it is indeed planning to instituted tiered bandwidth caps.

Update

Although we have been unable to connect with a Time Warner spokesperson, the company has since confirmed the plans to Reuters.
You're kidding right? you did not know about this? this is such old news.
They offer different bandwidth packages long time ago. All ISP have bandwidth cap to restrict upload and download speed unless you're talking about T1+

cable sucks
T1> cable > DSL
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kenji815
You're kidding right? you did not know about this? this is such old news.
They offer different bandwidth packages long time ago. All ISP have bandwidth cap to restrict upload and download speed unless you're talking about T1+

T1> cable > DSL
are we talking speed or how much data we can access? because i don't remember that i was limited to download certain amounts.,then again, been having poor memory lately.

+1 to T1>cable>DSL but that's only for services.

I'm happy paying for my 10m download for the past few years for 50 bucks with it going down maybe couple time than have to pay 300 for 1.5 up/down with guaranteed 98% up time.

Last edited by silentkry; 01-18-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

bandwidth cap = speed cap
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 AM

bandwidth cap = speed cap
A bandwidth cap, also known more precisely as a download cap or bit cap, limits the transfer of a specified amount of data over a period of time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_cap

you can think of it as like minutes for your mobile phone.

bandwidth - is the amount of data that can be transfer at one point not how fast it can be transfer.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_cap

you can think of it as like minutes for your mobile phone.

bandwidth - is the amount of data that can be transfer at one point not how fast it can be transfer.
One type of bandwidth cap, administered by an Internet service provider (ISP), simply limits the bitrate or speed of data transfer on a broadband Internet connection. The purpose of bandwidth capping is to prevent individual users from consuming the entire transmission capacity of the cable, a shared resource.

Speed cap^^^ bandwidth cap.
so in a way you can also think of bandwidth cap as capping the speed, which i know they are doing already
Time warner offer several high speed plans for cable which you can pay to increase your down and up speed.

hmm i don't think bandwidth cap will happen. In such case internet will turn into usernet newsgroup where they limit you to X number of GB of d/l a month.
That's a ridicious proposal. No one in the world has that. I think limiting speed is enough to control that.

Last edited by kenji815; 01-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM

T1> cable > DSL
Sure T1 is fast but cable sucks, want an example? look at ed cable service. yes cable has higher speeds. But what happens when ur area uses all the internet capacity? Your speed suffer, Ed lags while playing COD4 so what good is it?

DSL vs Cable - Real-World Speed
In practice, cable's speed advantage over DSL is much less than the theoretical numbers suggest. Why?

* Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in your neighborhood access the Internet simultaenously.
* Both cable modem and DSL performance vary from one minute to the next depending on the pattern of use and traffic congestion on the Internet.
* DSL and cable Internet providers often implement so-called "speed caps" that limit the bandwidth of their services.
* Some home networks cannot match the speed of the Internet connection, lowering your performance
So what good is speed when its slow when everyone else is on?

DSL on the other hand its consistent every single day regardless if everyone in your neighborhood is online
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

my cable never slows down.. i guess not many user in my area? My speed test is always around 700 kb/s down and 150 kb/s up.
Up is sorta weak but it's decent.

DSL isn't any better
it suffers from same problem and also from issue of distance from your main hub
the further you are from the main hub the slower the speed is.
Which in my case i'm the furthest possible distance from my DSL main hub to get DSL service
My friend that live few block away from me. His DSL SUCK compare to my cable.
you may be lucky you have good DSL speed if your location is close to the main hub.

Plus US phone line infrastructure suck. Copper phone line = poor speed

Last edited by kenji815; 01-18-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 AM

my cable never slows down.. i guess not many user in my area?
DSL isn't any better
it suffers from same problem and also from issue of distance from your main hub
the further you are from the main hub the slow the speed is.
Which in my case i'm the furthest distance possible from my DSL main hub and my friend that live few block away from me. His DSL SUCK
what same problem? I defined why cable sucks due to inconsistent connection speeds caused by increased usage based on your neighborhood. how does DSL suck, is it because its slower than your cable service?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

A DSL connection works better when you are closer to the provider's central office. The farther away you get from the central office, the weaker the signal becomes.
The connection is faster for receiving data than it is for sending data over the Internet.
it suffer from poor phone line infrastructure because it just piggy back off exisiting phone line.
Also depend on your distance from your main hub your signal gets weaker if you live far away from main hub.
Copper line loses signal strength over distance.
Like I say, you may be lucky that you're close to the central office. but Cable upload > DSL upload speed.

you're right cable speed depend on neighthood (So does DSL, it suffers from distance). If area has heavy usage you may experience slower speed.
Good thing i haven't experience that in Diamond bar. My cable has been pretty consistant over all.

Last edited by kenji815; 01-18-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

it suffer from poor phone line infrastructure because it just piggy back off exisiting phone line.
Also depend on your distance from your main hub your signal gets weaker if you live far away from main hub.
Copper line loses signal strength over distance.
Like I say, you may be lucky that your close to the central office. but Cable upload > DSL upload speed.

you're right cable speed depend on neighthood (So does DSL). If area has heavy usage you may experience slower speed.
Good thing i haven't experience that in Diamond bar. My cable has been pretty consistant over all.
what did you expect from an infrastructure that was created before the internet was created? Unless you have digital Cable, those cable wires are still copper
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

what did you expect from an infrastructure that was created before the internet was created? Unless you have digital Cable, those cable wires are still copper
digital cable internet. @@ huh?? digital cable TV still uses cable line except it receives digital signal instead of analog signal.
Unless US decides to put in fiber optic like korea. DSL and cable is all the same.. they both suffer from certain issue.
In the mean time, I still prefer cable over DSL. Now if the central office for DSL was closer to my home. I might have picked DSL.
The good and bad is totally area based.
cable wires carries signal better than phone line.

Last edited by kenji815; 01-18-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: ISP DSL CABLE nerd talk