Help with Helix uppipe/downpipe install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Question Help with Helix uppipe/downpipe install

I need help installing my Helix Uppipe and downpipe. Anyone in the San Diego area wanna lend me a helping hand? I am looking to do the install on Sunday. We can do the install at my place. I have most of the tools that are needed, except for the O2 sensor wrench. I'll be more than happy to supply ya lunch and beer. Just let me know.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Blue wrx 03
Dude one word of advice let someone else do it. its a ***** of a job to do
Old 03-20-2004, 07:36 AM
dhc

Car Info: 2004 WRX Java Black Pearl
I need the same thing done, and I'm in so cal as well, any recommended shops down here, that would have performed this already? I have a spanking new 04, id hate for a muffler shop to hack the car up into pieces...

TIA
Old 03-20-2004, 06:13 PM

muffler shop? Both pipes are easy enough to do with 2 people. www.scoobymods.com. Save yourself from being overcharged on labor. Do it yourself.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:13 PM

Car Info: Blue wrx 03
I would recomend getting someone else to do it i had a bad experience doin it with a freind who knew a lot about cars. GT motorsports in Rancho cucamonga sorted my nightmare out for a reasnoble price. Remember if you do it yourself you better do it right the first time with no exaust leaks, if you dont you will be veeeeeeeeeeerrrry pissssed of!! just my 2 cents
Old 03-20-2004, 09:08 PM

Yeah...if there was a recommended place here in San Diego, I would have taken it there to get it installed. I have a few buddies that are gonna lean me a hand with the installs. I just hope the mechincal Cel fix works.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:49 PM
dhc

Originally posted by SubaruStu
I would recomend getting someone else to do it i had a bad experience doin it with a freind who knew a lot about cars. GT motorsports in Rancho cucamonga sorted my nightmare out for a reasnoble price. Remember if you do it yourself you better do it right the first time with no exaust leaks, if you dont you will be veeeeeeeeeeerrrry pissssed of!! just my 2 cents
I'll try those guys, some guy recommended XS engineering too, do you have GT Motorsports #? I can do the dp myself but it's the up pipe i don't want to deal with. The V2 header looks easy also.

THanks guys.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02 AM

Car Info: black 02 wrx
You should do it yourself. It may be time consuming but its still better than paying over $200 at a local shop. All you need to do is study different instructions on the same install.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:33 AM
dhc

Originally posted by 02silversuby
if u had a couple days to do it i would say go for it, but if it somehting ur working on sunday but u need to drive it to work on monday i say **** it.

-Adam
The downpipe looks easy enough, it's the up pipe I am worried about, it's kind of tight under there. They say the flex pipe is easier to install, but I need more convincing

I'll try removing the covers underneath to reveal more.

The headers look easy as well, but if the shops charge a reasonable price for all three or just the up pipe, and have experience I'll let them handle it.

I don't want to run into a situation where I don't have all the right tools and parts needed during the install as well. Those tools will probably cost me half the install.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 08:33 AM

All I can say about the install is the uppipe. That was the hardest part of the install. But everything is installed now. Man what a difference in power...my butt dyno almost shat itself when I went for a test drive. LOL Its gonna take me sometime to get use to the hearing the turbo spool up .
Old 03-22-2004, 10:53 AM
dhc

Originally posted by greddy5
All I can say about the install is the uppipe. That was the hardest part of the install. But everything is installed now. Man what a difference in power...my butt dyno almost shat itself when I went for a test drive. LOL Its gonna take me sometime to get use to the hearing the turbo spool up .
So did you do it or have someone do the up-pipe? What was the hardest part about it?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 AM

I had help from a few friends for the install. The hardest part of the uppipe install for me was removing the old uppipe from the engine...That part took us a little over an hour to remove.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
dhc

Originally posted by greddy5
I had help from a few friends for the install. The hardest part of the uppipe install for me was removing the old uppipe from the engine...That part took us a little over an hour to remove.
IC, could you have done this by yourself? I wont have any help unfortunately. Will I really need an o2 sensor wrench or crescent wrenches would do? Any CEL's afterwards?

Sorry for the interrogation.

Thanks

-dc
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 AM

I would recommend using a O2 socket. I dont think this is something that you can do yourself...especially if its the first time doing an uppipe install. So far no cel yet. I didn't go with the eletrical cel fix that most people used. I used a mechincal fix (i didn't want to have to splice any wires) for my downpipe.

PS...Try to keep track of which screws went where. I think I spent about an hour just trying to figure out which screws went where. LOL

Quick Reply: Help with Helix uppipe/downpipe install