CARB certified parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:13 AM

CARB certified parts

I'm not too familiar with any CARB certified goodies such as intakes, exhausts, headers, and etc. so please excuse my ignorance. If an aftermarket product is CARB certified, does that mean that even if I have added other aftermarket products, I can't get busted?

For example, if I've got a CARB certified intake and CARB certified exhaust, I'm ok right? For those of you with CARB certified products, could you please enlighten me.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
CARB = suckage

To answer your questions, if one thing is legal and there others are not it will not justify the illegal parts. So if I have a CARB certified Catback, but I take out the cats then I know have an illegal turboback. Just because the catback part is legal doesnt mean the hole turboback will be legal.

Now if you have a CARB legal intake and a carb legal exhaust you shouldn't have any problems, if a cop wants to be an a$$hole just because he still might give you a hard time and write you a ticket but you can get out of it by going to court and showing a CARB certification.

To add, the California Air resource Board is there to be an extra step for Aftermarket Corporations to make their product street legal. If someone does make their product CARB certified such as GReddy or some of MRT's, they are basically paying for your tickets that you will receive as the process they go through costs a lot of money.

More info on CARB here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

Last edited by WRX-pilot; 02-15-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was because on some catbacks that meet the 95dbA noise limit, there's a stipulation that for as long as the headers or intake hasn't been changed, the catback is guaranteed to meet the limit, otherwise, it won't. So I wanted to know if there was such a stipulation for CARB certified parts.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:36 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
I would think that once you throw on a GReddy CB and a louder header that you won't pass the noise test. I would imagine a cop would complain about the exhaust being too loud. You might be able to slip by saying it is carb certified, as long as he buys that and doesn't think to check any other exhaust parts you would be ok. But truthfully just because the CB is at CARB and noise regulations doesn't mean another part is ok. In simpler words, I would imagine it would be the same rule for non CARB products carries the same for CARB products. If something is within legal limits its ok, otherwise its not. If you get a ticket for your exhaust being too loud, the term "exhaust" doesn't just mean catback, it can be anything from the exhaust manifold or header to the exit of you cb or axleback.

Hope that helps, for some reason I felt like I had a hard time explaining If not ask again.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:15 PM

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to help me make a better decision. I recently got a modified exhaust ticket and am going to fight it. I was also considering going to a State Certified Smog ref to certify my exhaust (it's a custom, but I know it'll pass...I've tested it and I barely make it).

What I'm afraid of is that what if in the future, I get pulled over again for my exhaust. I show my certificate, and the cop decides to be a ***** and looks at the engine bay. My intake isn't CARB certified nor are my headers, so I'd be screwed.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether or not it'd be worth it to get certified (since it's still free) and risk having the cop look under the hood. I could get it certified, and if I get pulled over, just accept the ticket and fight it again, but I don't wanna get crap from a judge asking me why I didn't have the cert. w/ me at the time.