Site Suggestions and Feedback Submit your input and suggestions - help us make i-Club a better place.

Introducing Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Introducing Experience!

Hey everyone,

Internet Brands launched experience on myg37 last year & on CivicForums early this year. It seems to have been a great success with the membership.

The system is now here on I-Club as well.

So, what is vBExperience??

vBExperience is an advanced Level and Activity System (with Shop - currently not enabled, but it's our goal to set this up too), Awards & Achievements. It calculates an activity and experience score for every user based on their activities on the forum. Members will see how their level is increasing by participating within the community.

Communities are not only defined by post count, there are many more parameters that matter: Are the postings the user creates helpful? Are the threads frequently read? Does the user participate within the community by posting pictures, attachments, leaving visitor messages, tagging threads?

I'm sure you get the idea...

Before the doubters shout 'this is going to promote spam'... No, it shouldn't! The system only looks at posts made within certain forums... so if we find posting spam all day in the off-topic forum we will simply remove that forum from being included in the calculations

The system is setup to promote use of some aspects of the community, which get ignored, or which are not utilized to their full potential. In that sense, the introduction of this system 'may' improve your experiences within the I-Club community. You are also free to ignore it, and carry on as usual.

The way it looks... that can be changed. So bear with us as we're launching this for the very first time on I-Club!

Hot links can be seen in the top navigation bar and also within the quick links drop down... info in displayed within user profile pages and also via advanced stats and league tables.

Have a look around the system before judging... it's pretty fun once you check out everything that's covered. Also, if you have ideas for other awards of achievements, by all means, let's hear them!

The key difference between Awards & Achievements are: Achievements are like mileposts, which anyone can get, and then hold on to, provided they still meet the requirements. Whereas Awards can only be held by one person at a time.

'Some' of the things this system is scoring are as follows... (points per item purposely not discussed!)

Included into calculations are these things:

Threads

- Created threads
- Thread views of own threads
- Thread replies of own threads
- Thread votes of own threads
- Thread tags
- Replies to own threads
- Sticky threads

- Created posts
- Views on attachments
- Deleted posts
- Edited Posts
- Final post in a thread

User

- Days since registration
- Referrals
- Received infractions (points deducted!)
- Reputation / Use of reputation system
- Visitor messages on profiles
- Members of own social groups
- Albumpictures
- Friends

Misc

- Infractions given & received
- Raising a thread from the dead
- Creating Calendar Events
- More to come...

Calculation of user activity
The system calculates the activity by taking the average post count of the ten most active users and comparing it to the individual users post count. This can be set to count only the last X days, e.g. last 28 days.

Colored Bars Explained...

Three bars displaying user experience can be seen in the postbit beside each members' posts.

The red bar indicates current experience points and graphically represents user level on a range of level 1 to level 100.

The blue bar represents your current percentage of the number of points required to progress up to the next level. ie, if you are promoted to the next level up, your blue bar will start close to zero and slowly increase as your experience points increase.

The green bar indicates your activity within the community, bench marked against the average activity of the top ten most active members. (see above)

In a nutshell,

This system attempts to promote constructive use of the community. (so that we all benefit)

If you reply to peoples threads, make use of social networking tools, use the attachment system, use friends area, submit thread tags, etc, etc (things that enrich the community) your experience score will be higher.

I hope that you guys find this to be fun, and engaging, we've spent lots of time trying to 'get it right'.

As I mentioned above, if you have ideas for new awards etc, please, let us hear them, and we'll do our best to incorporate them. This is the first time we've done something like this, so lets have some fun with it

-The I-Club staff
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
dont know if i like it
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
What difference does it make? Your stats are maxed out...
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hey everyone,

Internet Brands launched experience on myg37 last year & on CivicForums early this year. It seems to have been a great success with the membership.

The system is now here on I-Club as well.

So, what is vBExperience??

vBExperience is an advanced Level and Activity System (with Shop - currently not enabled, but it's our goal to set this up too), Awards & Achievements. It calculates an activity and experience score for every user based on their activities on the forum. Members will see how their level is increasing by participating within the community.

Communities are not only defined by post count, there are many more parameters that matter: Are the postings the user creates helpful? Are the threads frequently read? Does the user participate within the community by posting pictures, attachments, leaving visitor messages, tagging threads?

I'm sure you get the idea...

Before the doubters shout 'this is going to promote spam'... No, it shouldn't! The system only looks at posts made within certain forums... so if we find posting spam all day in the off-topic forum we will simply remove that forum from being included in the calculations

The system is setup to promote use of some aspects of the community, which get ignored, or which are not utilized to their full potential. In that sense, the introduction of this system 'may' improve your experiences within the I-Club community. You are also free to ignore it, and carry on as usual.

The way it looks... that can be changed. So bear with us as we're launching this for the very first time on I-Club!

Hot links can be seen in the top navigation bar and also within the quick links drop down... info in displayed within user profile pages and also via advanced stats and league tables.

Have a look around the system before judging... it's pretty fun once you check out everything that's covered. Also, if you have ideas for other awards of achievements, by all means, let's hear them!

The key difference between Awards & Achievements are: Achievements are like mileposts, which anyone can get, and then hold on to, provided they still meet the requirements. Whereas Awards can only be held by one person at a time.

'Some' of the things this system is scoring are as follows... (points per item purposely not discussed!)

Included into calculations are these things:

Threads

- Created threads
- Thread views of own threads
- Thread replies of own threads
- Thread votes of own threads
- Thread tags
- Replies to own threads
- Sticky threads

- Created posts
- Views on attachments
- Deleted posts
- Edited Posts
- Final post in a thread

User

- Days since registration
- Referrals
- Received infractions (points deducted!)
- Reputation / Use of reputation system
- Visitor messages on profiles
- Members of own social groups
- Albumpictures
- Friends

Misc

- Infractions given & received
- Raising a thread from the dead
- Creating Calendar Events
- More to come...

Calculation of user activity
The system calculates the activity by taking the average post count of the ten most active users and comparing it to the individual users post count. This can be set to count only the last X days, e.g. last 28 days.

Colored Bars Explained...

Three bars displaying user experience can be seen in the postbit beside each members' posts.

The red bar indicates current experience points and graphically represents user level on a range of level 1 to level 100.

The blue bar represents your current percentage of the number of points required to progress up to the next level. ie, if you are promoted to the next level up, your blue bar will start close to zero and slowly increase as your experience points increase.

The green bar indicates your activity within the community, bench marked against the average activity of the top ten most active members. (see above)

In a nutshell,

This system attempts to promote constructive use of the community. (so that we all benefit)

If you reply to peoples threads, make use of social networking tools, use the attachment system, use friends area, submit thread tags, etc, etc (things that enrich the community) your experience score will be higher.

I hope that you guys find this to be fun, and engaging, we've spent lots of time trying to 'get it right'.

As I mentioned above, if you have ideas for new awards etc, please, let us hear them, and we'll do our best to incorporate them. This is the first time we've done something like this, so lets have some fun with it

-The I-Club staff
Great Avatar!! We'll be looking to add another this year!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Not trying to bash someones hard work on the new vBExperience I just think it is a little ridiculous that a one line post takes up 1/2 my screen. Maybe if the stats where displayed on someones user page and not on every post. Other than that is sounds like fun. Thanks for all the mods and everyone who makes i-club possible.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Churro Aficionado

I like the thought someone brought up in the other thread, seeing if we could have it as an option? Like how you can select to see avatars or not.

Would that be possible?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Appreciate the feedback on sizing ,we'll look at what we can do there.

Also, if you're worried about how long posts are, get Thomas to put a bit.ly link to his spam thread in his location instead
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by sybir
Appreciate the feedback on sizing ,we'll look at what we can do there.

Also, if you're worried about how long posts are, get Thomas to put a bit.ly link to his spam thread in his location instead
width > length
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
width > length
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
iswydt
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
iswydt
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
these don't usually get me... but good god this one got me. Made coffee come out of my nose. Thanks for that one.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I am down to give it a try and give it some time. If it is not working for us we can undo it.

But I love my know it all badge
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
is there way to turn it on/off? my **** doesn't show

Quick Reply: Introducing Experience!