Thunderhill HPDE 5/13 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 SRR WRX
Originally Posted by lowball
I think BobbyD tracked on RE92's for like 4 or 5 track days...must be just a driver related issue.
or just a willingness to track a car with sh**** tires or not. I'd rather wait untill I can have more fun with tires that actually grip.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:29 PM

Location: Just when I find the key to success, someone goes and changes the locks.
Car Info: "Why Warthog sir?"
Originally Posted by illy
The hardest part is going to be not staying up all night chatting with hot babes on the internet. That is some early morning driving...
:rotfl: WTF, aren't you married?

:rotfl:
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
Originally Posted by topnotchwrx
:rotfl: WTF, aren't you married?

:rotfl:
No I am not married, I had to get home to cook dinner for my girlfriend and my son. That is what those whipping noises I made were all about. Yeah I have to be up in 5 hours. bye!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by erip
i hate to be a pain but can somebody pm me some basic info on track days? never been to one but i'm very interested. price? prep? equip? all info is greatly appreciated.
Here are two popular clubs that offer track days in our area:

Trackmasters.

UnlimitedLaps.com.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 AM

Location: Just when I find the key to success, someone goes and changes the locks.
Car Info: "Why Warthog sir?"
Originally Posted by illy
No I am not married, I had to get home to cook dinner for my girlfriend and my son. That is what those whipping noises I made were all about. Yeah I have to be up in 5 hours. bye!!!!
oh ok, that was still funny as hell though.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by Killian Maynard
or just a willingness to track a car with sh**** tires or not. I'd rather wait untill I can have more fun with tires that actually grip.
I tracked my car 3 times with the stock RE-92's before I switched to 225 Michelin's. I think its actually better to learn with the stock tires than buying new tires. It really teaches you the driving line and when/how to push the car. You get a feel for how the car works, but the biggest benefit is learning the driving line for the WRX (which is different than a FW or RW drive car.)

Lets put it this way...don't start out with DOT-R's right off the bat....last time I was at the track, this guy put Dot-R's on his 911 turbo, and it was his first time on track. He was all over the place...missing braking zones, turning too late, too early...just completely all over the place....and then he would drag everyone in the straights. Probably naturally good drivers could get away with this, but this guy needed some work first.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2008 Red Alert Nissan Titan
hope everyone had fun...i'm sure I saw some of you though I didn't really meet anyone.

I was the blue sti (wingless) in the novice group parked next to a new porsche 997.

I had a great time...though I think I fried my RE070s on the last 15 minute run of the day

Dylan
Old 05-14-2005, 08:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by Seranin
hope everyone had fun...i'm sure I saw some of you though I didn't really meet anyone.

I was the blue sti (wingless) in the novice group parked next to a new porsche 997.

I had a great time...though I think I fried my RE070s on the last 15 minute run of the day

Dylan
Yeah Dylan! Saw you car a few times. I was wondering who you were but never got a chance to come over. There was another couple of guys parked in front of you and I did talk with them.

Glad to here you had such a great time. Hope you learned the track line and also learned to break early and smoothly (I seem to have a problem with this for some reason ).

How was your instructor?

The other guy "Illy" that came up with us from Sac was in your group in a silver 02/03 sedan. I'm sure you passed each other a few times out there.

Come on over next time and say what up!

Lowball (black wagon)
Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 AM

my main focus was memorizing the turns (and associating them with the #s)...since every time an instructor or another participant mentioned a particular turn it took me a bit to realize which one they were referring to.

I think I know which lines to take now, but being able to put that into action every time is another matter - I definitely need more practice I was nervous in the beginning but the last three sessions were fun ones for me (and yes, finally learning to brake soon enough to be able to take the proper line). I'll probably take the novice group again next day at thunderhill to get more instruction anyway...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
Hey there!

Seranin is this you in this photo?

I had a freakin' blast out there. My instructor, Jim Nix was awesome and pretty much let me do my thing and even encourage me to be more aggressive which I really liked. By the end of the day I was taking turn 8 at full power and no brakes which was seriously scary as you are essentially aiming at two seperate potholes for the correct line which your mind has trouble getting around.

I was amazed at the number of corvettes, M Coupes and other cars that had to wave me by. The WRX is really good in turn 2 and I was always catching big groups of cars there and at the start of 9 probably because I had so much speed coming out of 8 with no throttle lift.

One day with an instructer and you even start talking about stuff that didn't make any sense the day before. What an experience.

Thanks to Egan and Lowball for making me feel welcome there. I don't know a lot of you too well in person, but so far everyone has been super cool. Look forward to the next one!
Attached Thumbnails Thunderhill HPDE 5/13 Caravan-illy-seranin.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM

illy-

yeah, that's me

I agree - by the end of the day I was finally confident enough in turn 2 to be able to swing the back end out a bit, but given too much throttle i still felt like i didn't have enough control at the end. I know exactly what you mean about 8...the entire day I could not take that without braking. Coming into the turn it feels like it's sharper than it is...even after my instructor (Bill Ashurst) took me in his dodge stealth TT (awd, 3000GT VR4 clone) at full clip, I still had trouble getting over the panic reaction there...
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Turn 1 & 13

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Turn 1

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Turn 13
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
It scares me to hear that because I know that's about how loud my car is :|
Old 05-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 03 Blu WRX, vf 34, headers, catless, gc coilovers, f/r sways

Hey Logan, nice meeting you guys out there. I need to come back soon I think I was finally getting the line. I love that second vid, I am in the blue bug eye behind you (as usual).

When I get a chance I will post of few bumper cam clips of you guys passing me.

See you at the track!

Jim
Old 05-14-2005, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by WillysPU
Hey Logan, nice meeting you guys out there. I need to come back soon I think I was finally getting the line. I love that second vid, I am in the blue bug eye behind you (as usual).

When I get a chance I will post of few bumper cam clips of you guys passing me.

See you at the track!

Jim
Hey Jim,

It was good meeting you too finally. Can't wait for the bumber cam shots! I love that angle.

Late,

Lance (black wagon)

Quick Reply: Thunderhill HPDE 5/13 Caravan