stage 2 back to stock ecu

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM

stage 2 back to stock ecu

I wanna get a helix dp with accessport stage 2 eventually...but I was wondering if I could revert back to stock dp and reflash to stock ecu with no problems for smog? Thanks. Also...will the helix dp fix to the stock catback?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:02 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Originally Posted by prspect06
I wanna get a helix dp with accessport stage 2 eventually...but I was wondering if I could revert back to stock dp and reflash to stock ecu with no problems for smog? Thanks. Also...will the helix dp fix to the stock catback?
Depends what year your car is (MY05 then beware). At this time it looks like ECUtek shouldn't have problems reverting back to stock as in my discussions with Scott two weeks ago he said the hex codes can be re-written to the ECU. It is my understanding however that COBB uses a generic map for their stock map so in that case with a MY05 car the hex codes would not be re-written to the ECU and you would be in trouble. This could have all changed but mostly you should be worried if you have a 05 onward MOdel as these are the ones with the three different codes on the ECU (and previous years have little fear of reflashing and using a generic map).

Anyway, that is my understanding of it. I would mention to anyone who is going to reflash you ECU that you are concerened with smog and ask them to explain to you how it will still be able to flash back to stock.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Exactly.

Basically, there are 3 components that '05 cars now have to adhere to for smog issues. The ECU contains a VIN, CVS, and CIN. Here's the breakdown.

There has been some legislation implemented in some parts of the world stating that all Model Year 05 vehicles from all manufacturers must be capable of displaying three pieces of data.

They are:

VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. This is effectively the chassis number and is unique to each vehicle. This will not change when a an ECU is reprogrammed.

CIN - Calibration Identification Number. This is an identification number stored in each ECU that shows which calibration file should have been programmed into this particular ECU. This will not change when the ECU is reprogrammed with Ecu TeK tools.

CVN - Calibration Verification Number. This is a number which is the result of a calculation carried out based on the calibration data in the ECU. This number will change when the ECU is programmed with anything other than the factory data.

The legislation also states that these numbers must all be capable of being read by proprietary OBD readers and the numbers may be check during routine emission tests against data which has to be supplied by law from the manufacturers.

The purpose of this legislation is to enable the tester to establish if the ECU has been modified in any way or has been changed from car to car.

This mail is to explain that only the CVN will change after the ECU has been re-programmed using EcuTek software. However although it does also store additional information in the ECU, if the original factory calibration is flashed into the ECU the original CVN will also be restored although there will still be an EcuTeK license stored within it.

So, basically, the CIN and VIN stay untouched,and the CVN is a hash based on current values in the ECU. ECUtek provides its dealers with the different variations of the stock ECU's, so we can return a car to a fully stock map, thus restoring the CVN hash to factory as well (as it's calculated from factory values).

It's unknown at this time how Cobb plans to work with this issue, since, as stated above, they use a generic parameter set to flash back to stock (this resulted in issues early on with '03 WRX's reporting that they were 02's when flashed back with an AP.)

ECUtek is the only reflash product I'm aware of that has addressed this issue.

Obvioulsy, a full replacement (like a Link) or piggyback solution like a UTEC will bypass this issue, but that brings up other issues like cost, and the removal of factory safeguards.

We'd be more than happy to discuss the different tuning options available if you want to swing by the shop.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:23 PM

I have an '03 wrx. I wanna do a TBE (installed myself) and I was wondering how much it would be to get my car tuned? I'll be seeing your shop soon.

thanks,
Daniel
Old 12-27-2004, 08:27 PM

I'm actually a noob when it comes to tuning in general so could you please describe what tuning involves?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Tuning, if you have your own tuning solution, is $180 an hour (for dyno tuning).
If you want to go with an ECUtek solution, the non-drive by wire cars are $650, and that includes a tune; after that initial fee, the normal tuning prices apply if you want to get retuned (you add/remove parts, etc.)

Tuning, with a reflash, involves putting your car on the dyno, getting a baselines, thne optimizing your car's timing, fuel, and boost maps to maximize the safe power you can get out of the car. All of the factory safeguards remain in place, so it idles like stock, starts like stock, runs like stock, only much faster and with much better drivability. Any componenet failures are handled by the factory ECU, so if it detects a problem it can compensate to keep the car safe. We're not "fooling" the ECU like some of the piggyback setups, so the ECU can use all the data it gathers from its sensors to keep your car safe under any conditions.

More extensive questions would be better answered by Nate at the shop, but let me know if you have any questions and I'll see what I can do
Old 12-27-2004, 10:32 PM

What do you mean by "if you have your own tuning solution"? And how long does it typically take?

appreciate it,
Daniel
Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Originally Posted by prspect06
What do you mean by "if you have your own tuning solution"? And how long does it typically take?

appreciate it,
Daniel
In other words, we can only retune your car, if you have something that allows us to make changes to it somehow. We sell ECUtek as one option. If you have some other form of standalone management or piggyback, like a UTEC, we can do that too. An Accessport, by it's very nature, cannot be tuned, until Cobb actually releases their software, so we cannot tune it.

A reflash would usually take 1-2 hours, depending on how your car responds (every car is slightly different; we don't just load a map and send you on your way)
Old 12-27-2004, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
reflash

very good info, i'll definately keep you in mind when it comes to dyno tuning my car