So, how was your night?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Sedan
So, how was your night?

Mine sucked.

Was on the I-5S/80E interchange (that long, upward-sweeping turn) in the slow lane with my dad in the passenger seat. I see some headlights coming up obnoxiously fast through the turn and keep my eye on him while he flies by.

Next thing I know he's halfway in MY lane, tries to correct and slides to the left, overcorrects and slides to the right and slams into my front left corner. Not sure how, but I managed to avoid the wall on the right while he hit me. Thankfully no one was hurt and I was able to drive home (although I'm hearing a brand new high-pitch whine from my motor now ). All things considered, this actually ended up much better than it could have.

I've never been in an accident like this before. I have all his information and filed a claim online (they should be calling me tomorrow) and all that jazz. Anyone else deal with something like this? What should I expect to happen next?

Last edited by z0rz; 01-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
o man thats sucks, i hope it all gets taken care of fairly quick
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
You're gonna wait about a week before they can start the claim and what not, at least that's what happened with me. Then they're gonna ask a bunch of questions and finally have an appraiser take a look at the damage. Pretty straight forward, simple stuff. Finally, they'll give you an estimate and ask you if you want a check or for the shop to take care of it. Glad everyone is ok! Hoping it's nothing serious with the motor.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 AM

Car Info: 07 WRX Wagon SWP
My night was good because I finally finished the last coat of clear on my bumper and hood from an accident over 2 months ago, so I definitely feel your pain man. I was a big fan of your bugeye but at least you and everyone else is okay. Just be prepared for alot of phone calls and alot of time spent waiting. Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Damn, that sucks bigtime Jeff, glad to hear you & your dad are ok. Yeah, your car was clean too, guess we won't be seeing you anytime soon at our meets huh. My car was totaled in my accident, but it takes awhile for everything to get fixed, def an unfortunate situation. Hope everything goes smooth, GL bro, keep us updated bro!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Originally Posted by Guillermo
You're gonna wait about a week before they can start the claim and what not, at least that's what happened with me. Then they're gonna ask a bunch of questions and finally have an appraiser take a look at the damage. Pretty straight forward, simple stuff. Finally, they'll give you an estimate and ask you if you want a check or for the shop to take care of it. Glad everyone is ok! Hoping it's nothing serious with the motor.
I know exactly where this occurred. That ramp has a couple bumps around the apex that can throw off the car (bump steer and such).

All insurance companies are different in how they handle things. PLEASE ask for a second appraisal no matter what and have them put the car on a lift. The last thing you want is the shop to work on your car and find new things that are broken and the appraiser has to keep going back to allow extra funds (it can add weeks to repair times). When your car is finished by the shop, LOOK OVER EVERYTHING before driving off. Take pictures of any issues you see (the repair shops aren't always perfect or half *** things). If you see any issues, call your insurance company while you're still at the shop. And due to the area of the damage, check your battery (it may be cracked/damage) and make sure they pay for an alignment (anything near the wheels tells you to get an alignment on their bill).

I'm trying to look out for you so you get a car that is repaired 100%, some people get screwed over with this whole process. ALSO, a lot of people don't know this, but you can ask for extra reimbursement due to the devaluing of your car by being in an accident. Your insurance company will fight for you. If someone tells you otherwise, talk to a higher up (climb the ladder), insurance companies are tricky.

Good luck, glad everyone is okay.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
Damn Jeff!!!! Sorry to hear what happened bro I hope everyone is ok and to think we were talking about insurance coverage and what not two weeks ago at the meet :/. Hopefully the insurance isnt going to lag on you.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
sorry to hear that
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
im sorry to hear =/
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Sedan
Thanks a bunch guys, some REALLY useful information in here. I really appreciate it!

Where do you guys recommend I get my appraisal done? Subaru dealership? FW? Somewhere else?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
if the damage is more then 1,000 go see a chiropractor, go get bunch of estimate on your car dont go for one, and pick ur own shop, not theirs cuz they will use cheap stuff. dont agree on a price right away, make sure u know exactly how much you need to fix ur car. cuz some companies will give u $500 for something that u need $1000. if they start giving u hard time, get a lawyer. if u have anymore questions let me know i work with auto accidents. and im really sorry for ur car, glad it wasn't anything super big and know one was hurt.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Originally Posted by z0rz
Thanks a bunch guys, some REALLY useful information in here. I really appreciate it!

Where do you guys recommend I get my appraisal done? Subaru dealership? FW? Somewhere else?

I went to maita subaru shop when i got hit, and they did an awesome job.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
@i<3dirt I was involved in an accident earlier in the year where I rear ended a guy and he ended up flying forward and rear ending a car in front of him. Is it my fault that he rear ended the guy in front of him?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

if u hit him and he hit another car, then yes its ur fault, cuz u started it. unless the police report said something else. but most of the time the person that started it, is at fault.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
Dammit LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, how was your night?