Shop recommendation for bearings?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza 2.5 RS Midnight Black Pearl
Shop recommendation for bearings?

Wheel bearing went out on my 2002 2.5RS and I'm looking for a shop or person who can press the wheel bearings into the hub correctly. Anyone know of a shop or person? I'm sure there are tons out there that can, but I'd like to know of a shop that has worked on Subaru's vs a random repair place.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
FW Motorsports is your local Subaru shop.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM

I went to them for some recommendations before (machine shop to take care of my heads before I do a head gasket, and also for my LCA bushings on my Legacy GT), but they were less than willing to help since they weren't doing the work. They just said they have a shop that does it and wouldn't tell me who it was so I could just take it there. Instead I had to drop it off, wait for their delivery truck to pick it up the shop to do the work, then deliver it the next day, so it was at least a 2-3 day turnaround.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
PM me if you're still looking to get this done.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
They use a shop in Auburn I believe. It could be a guy working out of his own shop that doesn't want to be bothered with walk-in customers.

Truthfully, any shop can work on Subaru heads, and most shops have a 2-3 day turnaround anyway.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jdblock
They use a shop in Auburn I believe. It could be a guy working out of his own shop that doesn't want to be bothered with walk-in customers.

Truthfully, any shop can work on Subaru heads, and most shops have a 2-3 day turnaround anyway.
The heads I understood (that's a bit bigger of a job), but the LCA bushings I got done at a different machine shop with a 1 day turnaround.

That's why I wanted to ask around, since I'm sure someone has done it before and maybe someone local just has a press and the right tools to do it in their garage. Not like I'm asking for it to be done for free.

As for FW, they could have SAID that. Sadly, I just haven't had a great experience with FW any time I've come in, and that is crappy because they are the closest shop, and everyone else seems to rave about them. Similarly, I have the same issue with Rob (or most employees) of Sac Black Rifle. They think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Being humble, knowledgeable, and courteous goes a long way, versus making me seem like I'm just taking up time in your day.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by DDMan
As for FW, they could have SAID that. Sadly, I just haven't had a great experience with FW any time I've come in, and that is crappy because they are the closest shop, and everyone else seems to rave about them. Similarly, I have the same issue with Rob (or most employees) of Sac Black Rifle. They think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Being humble, knowledgeable, and courteous goes a long way, versus making me seem like I'm just taking up time in your day.
Plenty of people have similar feelings as you about FW. I have noticed that many of the specialty shops in northern CA don't place importance on customer service/satisfaction unless you walk in with a wad of cash.

It's against the rules to bash vendors outside the vendor section, so people don't usually express their negative opinions unless they can back it up with a long drawn-out thread if they are questioned by the vendor or I-club fanboys.

I have had positive experiences at Joes Alfa-Subaru, but I just took my hubs to the dealer and had them press new bearings in.

Last edited by Superusdm; 11-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Superusdm
Plenty of people have similar feelings as you about FW. I have noticed that many of the specialty shops in northern CA don't place importance on customer service/satisfaction unless you walk in with a wad of cash.

It's against the rules to bash vendors outside the vendor section, so people don't usually express their negative opinions unless they can back it up with a long drawn-out thread if they are questioned by the vendor or I-club fanboys.

I have had positive experiences at Joes Alfa-Subaru, but I just took my hubs to the dealer and had them press new bearings in.
Wow... it's against the rules? Jeez. Well if this is considered "bashing" then I wonder what it would be called if I really was unhappy with their shop. I know I just don't go there anymore. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious if Maita would do it if I brought the hubs in. I doubt Roseville Subaru will. I also contacted a few on this board by suggestion.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 AM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
DDMan, if you are looking for a great shop that is extremely "customer first" based, check out My Auto Surgeon; its right in Rocklin next to you.

I know the owner (Justin) of the shop extremely well. My suggestion isn’t just coming as a friend of his but a customer. I started out as a normal customer about three years ago and through his superior knowledge, advice, customer service, and quality of work, we have become good friends. He is the only mechanic I trust whole heartedly to give me a 100% truthful diagnosis, legit advice, and to do the right thing when no one is watching. If you don’t believe me, check out his reviews on Yelp and Facebook.

He works on all my cars, including my autocross STI (corner balancing, suspension set ups, tire advice, etc). Justin knows his stuff and isn’t about just the “big ticket” jobs; if he has the ability to do it, he usually does. Give him a ring, tell him Will Wade sent you and I have no doubt he will take care of you.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
I had my front wheel bearing replaced at FW and had a good experience, but I don't recall the turnaround time on the job. That said, I had my 120k service done at Joe's Alfa-Subaru and had a great experience. Great service and well priced.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 FXT, 2015 Legacy
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
DDMan, if you are looking for a great shop that is extremely "customer first" based, check out My Auto Surgeon; its right in Rocklin next to you. I know the owner (Justin) of the shop extremely well. My suggestion isn’t just coming as a friend of his but a customer. I started out as a normal customer about three years ago and through his superior knowledge, advice, customer service, and quality of work, we have become good friends. He is the only mechanic I trust whole heartedly to give me a 100% truthful diagnosis, legit advice, and to do the right thing when no one is watching. If you don’t believe me, check out his reviews on Yelp and Facebook. He works on all my cars, including my autocross STI (corner balancing, suspension set ups, tire advice, etc). Justin knows his stuff and isn’t about just the “big ticket” jobs; if he has the ability to do it, he usually does. Give him a ring, tell him Will Wade sent you and I have no doubt he will take care of you.
Is this the justin from tire pros Folsom? I've been trying to find out where that guy went
Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by DDMan
Wow... it's against the rules? Jeez. Well if this is considered "bashing" then I wonder what it would be called if I really was unhappy with their shop. I know I just don't go there anymore. Lol.
I wouldn't say you were bashing at all.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 2009 subaru impreza 2.5i
Radial tire on fulton and cottage can do it just give them a call a day in advance and they could have it done that day in an hour or two
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
Originally Posted by dbangs
Is this the justin from tire pros Folsom? I've been trying to find out where that guy went
Haha, yes it is. He works on all my families cars. We make the drive from Folsom all the way out to his new shop in Rockline, just to have him and his crew do the work.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2005 FXT, 2015 Legacy
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Haha, yes it is. He works on all my families cars. We make the drive from Folsom all the way out to his new shop in Rockline, just to have him and his crew do the work.
Good to know will.. I'll be doing the same from now on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shop recommendation for bearings?