Random smog check in folsom today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 90 325is
Random smog check in folsom today

i dont know the details on these things but my GF just got stopped for one in folsom on riley. just a heads up.....
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
sweet, free smog tests.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
LOL thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone enlighten me on how this works. I mean I know how the machine works I have seen it but what are the legalities?

Is it like a breathalizer where you have the privlidge of driving so you must submit, can you refuse and make them get a warrant? What are your rights?

Also what is the punishment if you fail? do they tow your car or site you with a fix it ticket?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Enjoys his Ponies

Car Info: 2014 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
LOL thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone enlighten me on how this works. I mean I know how the machine works I have seen it but what are the legalities?

Is it like a breathalizer where you have the privlidge of driving so you must submit, can you refuse and make them get a warrant? What are your rights?

Also what is the punishment if you fail? do they tow your car or site you with a fix it ticket?
You fail you get a prostate exam courtesy of B.A.R.

It's a 2WD dyno, so if they are suspect, your AWD car automatically gets a prostate exam
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
that's the second within one week.
Faraco3 - speak for urself, maybe free smog check for you but for most of us - B.A.R.

Last edited by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac; 11-18-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
The state does these random spot checks to prove that the smog check program is working. If they notice a higher failure rate in the field then that means the program isn't working out so well.

There's usually a law enforcement officer there to assist with directing cars. The test is voluntary. I'm sure you will get pressure to submit.

Originally Posted by http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/Roadside%20Emissions%20Survey%20Information%20Shee t%20-%20Fina%208_10_2010l.pdf
The roadside survey is used strictly to develop a profile of the vehicles on California's roads. Participation in the survey is voluntary. A consumer's vehicle does not "pass" or "fail" the roadside survey emissions test. Therefore, there are no additional repair requirements for owners of high-polluting vehicles. At the conclusion of the inspection, the consumer recieves a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) detailing the results of the test. This report may not be substituted for a vehicle's official Smog Check inspection. However, the VIR does provide important information about the vehicle.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx love-wagon
Originally Posted by Double Phister
The state does these random spot checks to prove that the smog check program is working. If they notice a higher failure rate in the field then that means the program isn't working out so well.

There's usually a law enforcement officer there to assist with directing cars. The test is voluntary. I'm sure you will get pressure to submit.
so you can just simply say: "nah i'll pass on this today officer.. i have somewhere to be!"
and you're off the hook?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Enjoys his Ponies

Voluntary in the phone survey kind of way? or voluntary in the breathalyzer kind of way?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
No one can force you to do a smog period. Especially right out on the street. It is all Voluntary.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Enjoys his Ponies

Originally Posted by strider327
No one can force you to do a smog period. Especially right out on the street. It is all Voluntary.
Uhh... Yes they can
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX

Thank you for illuminating my life....
Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Originally Posted by TheLegend
Uhh... Yes they can

If you currently have good registration, then nobody can force you to submit to a smog (to my knowledge).

Now if you are driving around with expired registration.. you might get let go with a warning to get it snogged soon once or twice... but the third time that an officer pulls you over with out of state or expired tags, and he sees your previous tickets... he most likely will tow your vehicle.

At that point I am not sure what happens... I dont think the tow yard will let you drive it off the lot with expired tags... maybe with good out of state tags.

Basically it starts getting really expensive and a hassle... ask anybody who tries to bring an out of state car to california that wont pass smog.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Tell them your car isn't up to propper opperating tempatures and the results will be askewed and you think the whole thing is a joke and don't want to take part in the survey.

I want to know if ASE certified smog techs are performing the surrvey or if the officer is.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
Originally Posted by Harry Manuevers
If you currently have good registration, then nobody can force you to submit to a smog (to my knowledge).
ya no. sorry i used to work for CARB and if you operate a motor vehicle in the state of California you HAVE to submit. No opting out what so ever. like the Breathalyzer kinda way.. lol whether it is the new tunnel that you drive through and somgs the car on the go (yes this is real and is in development atm in Socal) or random police car with a "sniffer" attached they will and can pull you over and send you to the ref or to get smoged again. CA is cracking down on everyone and it blows. wait for the new laws coming out **** gonna get REAL fun lolZ
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Enjoys his Ponies

Originally Posted by Harry Manuevers

Now if you are driving around with expired registration.. you might get let go with a warning to get it snogged soon once or twice... but the third time that an officer pulls you over with out of state or expired tags, and he sees your previous tickets... he most likely will tow your vehicle.

At that point I am not sure what happens... I dont think the tow yard will let you drive it off the lot with expired tags... maybe with good out of state tags.

Basically it starts getting really expensive and a hassle... ask anybody who tries to bring an out of state car to california that wont pass smog.
An officer can if he feels your car has been modified and no longer meets smog standards.

Quick Reply: Random smog check in folsom today