Is it a problem to run a tires 1/4" taller in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Is it a problem to run a tires 1/4" taller in the front?

I'm trying to piece together a temporary solution to replacing the front tires until my new rims get here in a month or 2. I've found a pair of Toyo T1-S that I could mount on the front, but the Toyo specs say the tire height is 25.1 vs. 24.9 for the factory Potenzas... both tires are 225/45/17's. Could running tires with different heights (by 2/10ths of a inch) cause problems with the center differential or any other related parts?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
on wrx with the open diff in front i don't see it being too bad but on STi things are different
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by newyorkreload
on wrx with the open diff in front i don't see it being too bad but on STi things are different
the front is open, but the center is not. With tires larger in the front then the back, you are constantly causing the center diff to work outside of its normal 'idle' range.

You should get all four tires the same size. More the 1/4" is bad for the center diff in the long run of your vehicle (plus I'm guessing its actually more then 1/4" because your stock potenzas are probably worn a bit).
Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 PM

That's what I was worried about. I Pm'd Luke at the Tire Rack to confirm, but what you guys are saying is what I was thinking. Maybe I could have them shaved down to almost nothing and get my 2/10th's of an inch back LOL. I only need a solution until my new rims and tires get here in about a month. It looks like I may be driving on of our other cars and looking at an STi with a temp tire on the front for a few weeks unless I can find a used RE070. Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited by iceman302; 08-01-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
1/4" is supposed to be the max you can run. wish I had a set of wheels you could borrow :\
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
1/4" is supposed to be the max you can run. wish I had a set of wheels you could borrow :\
I thought 1/8" or 1/16" was out of spec.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Thanks, bro... I think I've got it all figured out if these Toyos aren't too tall. The specs only vary by 2/10ths so I'm hoping they will. I'm waiting to hear back from Luke at the Tire Rack.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 AM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
uhhh the front being open diff has nothing to do with it. we are worried about the center diff here. the front tires are rotating at a different speed than the rear, not left to right as an open diff in the front would be concerned about. having different sized tires front to rear will increase the heat levels in your center diff as it has to compensate for the mismatched speeds. this heat CAN cause damage, it certainly puts wear on the part. whether or not this will matter in the lifespan of the car i cannot say. i beleive the 1/4" is circumfrence, not diameter. could be wrong on that though. i would not risk it, but thats just me.
________
Mazda 323f picture

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by svek
uhhh the front being open diff has nothing to do with it. we are worried about the center diff here. the front tires are rotating at a different speed than the rear, not left to right as an open diff in the front would be concerned about. having different sized tires front to rear will increase the heat levels in your center diff as it has to compensate for the mismatched speeds. this heat CAN cause damage, it certainly puts wear on the part. whether or not this will matter in the lifespan of the car i cannot say. i beleive the 1/4" is circumfrence, not diameter. could be wrong on that though. i would not risk it, but thats just me.

how are both front wheels effecting the center... if it's open?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 AM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
how are both front wheels effecting the center... if it's open?
center diff isnt open. its a viscous type. the front of a wrx is open, the center and rear are a 'limited slip' type diff.
________
Eagle Medallion

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by svek
center diff isnt open. its a viscous type. the front of a wrx is open, the center and rear are a 'limited slip' type diff.
yes i under stand that, so how does one tire in the front being different then the other three become an issue?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM

Car Info: puppy hauler
Originally Posted by iceman302
That's what I was worried about. I Pm'd Luke at the Tire Rack to confirm, but what you guys are saying is what I was thinking. Maybe I could have them shaved down to almost nothing and get my 2/10th's of an inch back LOL. I only need a solution until my new rims and tires get here in about a month. It looks like I may be driving on of our other cars and looking at an STi with a temp tire on the front for a few weeks unless I can find a used RE070. Thanks for your help guys!
I have a set of mounted snow tires that you could run they're not studded and they won't work through another winter all the little grippy tread is worn off. I know it's not ideal, but the offers there if you need it. PM me if you really need something. Of course if you have an 05 STI I can't help you, unless you got the wheels mounted on something else.

Deede
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
yes i under stand that, so how does one tire in the front being different then the other three become an issue?
He's going to have two front tires that are larger in the front. That's how the center diff is affected, and not the front. Still, even with an open diff, I wouldn't recomend it.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
how bout you try it and report back the results
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
how bout you try it and report back the results
"Hey guys, I think I have seat heaters in my car, but how do I turn them off?" :rotfl:

Quick Reply: Is it a problem to run a tires 1/4" taller in the front?