Planning to move here, have a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Planning to move to Sac, have a few questions..

Hello everyone,
I've lived in the Bay Area for all my life, and I'm planning to move to Sacramento for school, at CSUS. I just have a few questions while I browse for an apartment.

1. After looking at the crime map, is crime really bad in Sacramento/surrounding areas?
2. Are there places I definitely should avoid or try to avoid living in/going to?
3. If you know, how are cops up there? Are they pretty strict or pretty mod friendly?
4. Any recommendations on an apartment <$900, preferably near campus would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by theoutbackdream; 03-07-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Apartment under 900 solo is going to be rough. Crime is spotty - good areas and bad areas are block by block. The La Riv area, for example, right by campus - some is fine, some is ghetto. Lots of apartments around there that are decent-ish. If you can swing it, campus commons is a way nicer area than La Riviera. Stay away from Rosemont.

LEO's are LEO's - it depends on how loud (visually or audibly) your car is. There are a lot of bike cops, and if you're loud, tinted, or driving like a jackass, you're gonna get popped. If you're generally respectful, not tearing around, and quiet you're ok-ish.
Welcome!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Depending on what time your classes will be, and if you dont mind driving in a bit, there are other surrounding areas that are decent as well.

I lived in Citrus Heights when I went to Sac State, it was about a 20-30 min drive with light traffic depending on the time of day.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by sybir
Apartment under 900 solo is going to be rough. Crime is spotty - good areas and bad areas are block by block. The La Riv area, for example, right by campus - some is fine, some is ghetto. Lots of apartments around there that are decent-ish. If you can swing it, campus commons is a way nicer area than La Riviera. Stay away from Rosemont.

LEO's are LEO's - it depends on how loud (visually or audibly) your car is. There are a lot of bike cops, and if you're loud, tinted, or driving like a jackass, you're gonna get popped. If you're generally respectful, not tearing around, and quiet you're ok-ish.
Welcome!
I figured 900 is going to be hard.. I actually went to Sacramento today to see what you mean't, and it makes sense by what you mean't know.

Campus Commons is where i'd like to stay, but it looks pretty competitive to get a spot.

Good to know, thanks for that information!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Depending on what time your classes will be, and if you dont mind driving in a bit, there are other surrounding areas that are decent as well.

I lived in Citrus Heights when I went to Sac State, it was about a 20-30 min drive with light traffic depending on the time of day.
Driving to school was a 3rd option of mine, since I read how bad parking can be at Sac State. I was hoping to either 1) bike to school 2) public transportation via lightrail or bus 3) drive in the worst case scenario.

How was Citrus Heights for you though? Didn't look there...
Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
My aunt might have an apartment for rent at T and 47th in that price range. I will ask for you.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Driving to school was a 3rd option of mine, since I read how bad parking can be at Sac State. I was hoping to either 1) bike to school 2) public transportation via lightrail or bus 3) drive in the worst case scenario.

How was Citrus Heights for you though? Didn't look there...
While I was going there I lived a couple miles from highway 80 and the Antelope exit, it wasnt bad. The other side of the overpass gets worse.

Im still in Citrus Heights just a little bit away from where I was. Been here in CH for about 10 years now.

The light rail station is about a 7-10 min drive from here, but you would need to take it to a station, then hop onto another line to get to Sac State. Buses are pretty avail. With tuition at CSUS you get free public transportation, assuming you already knew that tho.

There are also other surrounding areas that would work (like any place they have good and bad areas). Orangevale, Fair Oaks, Roseville, Folsom might be a bit far and probably too expensive.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
My aunt might have an apartment for rent at T and 47th in that price range. I will ask for you.
Thanks Walker!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 PM

While I was going there I lived a couple miles from highway 80 and the Antelope exit, it wasnt bad. The other side of the overpass gets worse.

Im still in Citrus Heights just a little bit away from where I was. Been here in CH for about 10 years now.

The light rail station is about a 7-10 min drive from here, but you would need to take it to a station, then hop onto another line to get to Sac State. Buses are pretty avail. With tuition at CSUS you get free public transportation, assuming you already knew that tho.

There are also other surrounding areas that would work (like any place they have good and bad areas). Orangevale, Fair Oaks, Roseville, Folsom might be a bit far and probably too expensive.
Good to know. So i'm going to assume that anywhere in between 80 and 50, is relatively safe, with some dodgy areas?

That's exactly why I was thinking of taking public transport, it's free. And it might just make getting groceries or school supplies, etc. much easier..

I actually got to drive around the cities along the 50, east of CSUS. The cities you mentioned would be too far for my liking. The one area I wanted to stay in was La Riviera/Rancho Cordova. The issue with La Riviera/Rancho Cordova from my quick scouting was that it's the hood, but I did only look along Folsom Blvd, since there were apartments that I was interested in looking at.

BTW, you mentioned that you've been in CH for 10 years, did you reside in the Bay Area at one point? If so, could you compare which cities in the bay are like the ones in Sac so I have a better general idea of the area?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Thanks Walker!
My cousin is renting it at the moment.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
The Folsom corridor through Rancho/La Riv/Rosemont is a little rough - the neighborhoods back in a block or two are better, but if you're stuck in apartments, you're, well, stuck in apartments and where they are.

I lived in Santa Cruz (which honestly is not as far off as you'd think, especially if you talk east side SC - there's a lot of hippies and counterculture stuff in Sac with all the colleges and government) for 5 years and have family and friends all over the bay. There aren't a lot of places that are as patchwork as Sacramento - partly because even hood places in the Bay cost a ****ton. It's probably most like Hayward, Fremont, Dublin, parts of Pleasanton, and parts of SJ - mix of direct residents and commuters, lots of different economic and cultural levels. EG will feel more like the more residential part of Milpitas. None of the areas you're looking at are like Oakland - the worst stuff is north of 80 and in the Arden area.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Churro Aficionado

I grew up in Roseville (since I was 4), which is just on the other side of CH compared to Sac. So ive been in the relatively same area (15-20 min radius) my whole life
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
My cousin is renting it at the moment.
Ah darn it. Well thanks for asking!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by sybir
The Folsom corridor through Rancho/La Riv/Rosemont is a little rough - the neighborhoods back in a block or two are better, but if you're stuck in apartments, you're, well, stuck in apartments and where they are.

I lived in Santa Cruz (which honestly is not as far off as you'd think, especially if you talk east side SC - there's a lot of hippies and counterculture stuff in Sac with all the colleges and government) for 5 years and have family and friends all over the bay. There aren't a lot of places that are as patchwork as Sacramento - partly because even hood places in the Bay cost a ****ton. It's probably most like Hayward, Fremont, Dublin, parts of Pleasanton, and parts of SJ - mix of direct residents and commuters, lots of different economic and cultural levels. EG will feel more like the more residential part of Milpitas. None of the areas you're looking at are like Oakland - the worst stuff is north of 80 and in the Arden area.
Gotcha.. no wonder why that area was a little sketchy driving through, but you are right.. they are apartments so I might have to just live there and deal with it in the worst case scenario.

Glad to hear that none of the areas i'm looking at are like Oakland.... I kind of had the impression that some areas of Sac, were similar to Oakland, especially when I saw the crime map, and scouted the area in person. But i'm glad to know it's not as bad as I had thought it was, and it's like Hayward, Fremont, Dublin, Pleasanton and SJ.

When you say Arden area, Is there a specific area I should avoid? Personally when I went, it seemed like anything south of Arden Way and West of Howe Ave/East of the American River seemed fine.. Didn't get to look around Fair Oaks Blvd at all though.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM

I grew up in Roseville (since I was 4), which is just on the other side of CH compared to Sac. So ive been in the relatively same area (15-20 min radius) my whole life
Oh haha

Quick Reply: Planning to move here, have a few questions..