Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 05 Impreza WRX Sti (Silver)
What's a "Bar Sticker"?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by gortiz3
What makes a stock car not street legal? Like the above post, some mods are okay. I know this can lead to numerous answers and topics, but is there a general rule of thumb?
Reality : General rule of thumb is anything they feel like giving you a ticket for that they feel is out of place

Legally : Most of of the mods done are illegal especially exhaust
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Talking

my responce that went here got posted twice. so i'll edit it to b!+ch about DSL...

...DSL sucks!

the end

Last edited by newyorkreload; 12-17-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Talking

What makes a stock car not street legal? Like the above post, some mods are okay. I know this can lead to numerous answers and topics, but is there a general rule of thumb?

When it comes to modding a car it's best to remember CA is one of the most strict places in the world. the California Air Resource Board is the prime thing to worry about. From the intake to the tip of your muffler it needs to be CARB approved. Many aftermarket place have tried. most have failed and the CHP are the enforcers of the land. but then there are other things to consider. headlights (how many, how bright, where located on car) Tint of windows. (front doors) Width of tires (remember to mud flap it up if it's past the fender) the noise of the exhaust (law changes almost every year) height of car (has to do with the bumpers in case of collision) and of course gun turrets, turns out you can have them just no gun mounted to the turret.

Blame street racing for the resent uprising in enforcement. and be polite with your words on the boards we have a few Poe-poes around here from time to time. even they think some of the laws are dumb

Last edited by newyorkreload; 12-17-2005 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:32 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by newyorkreload
and be polite with your words on the boards we have a few Poe-poes around here from time to time.
Lol, thought that was kinda funny.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
From the intake to the tip of your muffler it needs to be CARB approved
actually it's intake to final catalytic converter. a cat-back is perfectly legal as long as it's not overly loud. a cat-back is a big red flag though.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
What's a "Bar Sticker"?
Bureau of Automotive Repair is in charge of the SMOG program. a BAR sticker is a label that says that a car has had an engine swap and has been approved by the BAR. It's a big neener neener neener to the popo when they start popping hoods.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
already a post about it a few months ago
Old 12-17-2005, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
Bureau of Automotive Repair is in charge of the SMOG program. a BAR sticker is a label that says that a car has had an engine swap and has been approved by the BAR. It's a big neener neener neener to the popo when they start popping hoods.

So i get this right, if one were to get a JDM EJ20 swap these are the peeps to deal with?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Car Info: The ladies wild
yea, I was pulled over for my exhaust a few weeks back. My exhaust is a fujitsubo power getter with two resonators, not loud at all, in fact, it's about around the stock exhaust db level, just a little deeper toned. Basically the officer said that my exhaust wasn't loud, but it didn't pass california emissions standards, just by looking at it. So he told me to get the vehicle smogged and then get the ticket signed off. But I looked up the violation online and the code says that I got the ticket for the exhaust being too loud. By this time, I don't have time do get anything fixed or sound tested, so I'm forced to pay the late fee of $60 on top of the ticket which is $110. Not too much, but just a lot of hassle for nothing. I completely understand chp wanting to stop illegal drag. It's stupid, dangerous, and ridiculous. But where do we draw the line when it comes to stopping cars just for driving?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
Well it appears to be random, no major stings goin on or anything. Betcha they don't pull over the muscle cars though. Probably not even audi's or bmw's. Whatever.
You would be correct here. I run no front plate, and my Camaro can set off Car alarms at about 50 feet with it's exhaust and I never get any crap over it. Doesn't hurt that I am a 34 year old white guy either. On the other hand, I drive pretty sane, so much that I even took the radar detector out of the windshield the other day, I realized that I don't even really need one the way I drive...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by omygata
yea, I was pulled over for my exhaust a few weeks back. My exhaust is a fujitsubo power getter with two resonators, not loud at all, in fact, it's about around the stock exhaust db level, just a little deeper toned. Basically the officer said that my exhaust wasn't loud, but it didn't pass california emissions standards, just by looking at it. So he told me to get the vehicle smogged and then get the ticket signed off. But I looked up the violation online and the code says that I got the ticket for the exhaust being too loud. By this time, I don't have time do get anything fixed or sound tested, so I'm forced to pay the late fee of $60 on top of the ticket which is $110. Not too much, but just a lot of hassle for nothing. I completely understand chp wanting to stop illegal drag. It's stupid, dangerous, and ridiculous. But where do we draw the line when it comes to stopping cars just for driving?

Makes as much sense as the "Patriot Act" does on the war vs terror.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
So i get this right, if one were to get a JDM EJ20 swap these are the peeps to deal with?

Umm, by it's very nature, a JDM engine/ECU will never be legal.

Engine swaps are only legal if it's from the same year or newer car, with all the emissions equipment from the donor car. Hence, WRX swaps are legal, but you might have problems with a JDM setup unless you can get it to report as a USDM WRX to the OBD2 stuff.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sybir
Umm, by it's very nature, a JDM engine/ECU will never be legal.

Engine swaps are only legal if it's from the same year or newer car, with all the emissions equipment from the donor car. Hence, WRX swaps are legal, but you might have problems with a JDM setup unless you can get it to report as a USDM WRX to the OBD2 stuff.

If one were to bolt the heads of the JDM to the US block is it still a US EJ20? Or does it all come down to passing the sniffer.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by MBasile
already a post about it a few months ago
Actually this is a new news story and the first time we've seen them driving around specifically targeting vehicles under this new program.

Quick Reply: Highway Patrol initiates operation "Dragnet"