f-u sac county

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally Posted by BigGreg
The county is on strike because they lowered their health benifits. Their taking away what they already had. That is why they are on strike. I don't blame them. If my boss lowered my pay just cause I would strike.
Have you ever stopped and wondered why the county wanted to lower their benefits? The county doesn't have shareholders, so there is no profit incentive there. The reason is that the county is running out of money. The county can barely provide adequate services as it is, and projects to only get worse as time goes on.

The communities that become cities are the ones with the retail tax base. As these funds leave the county, they have less money to provide services. Did you realize that at most times there is a single sherrif covering from Rancho Murietta all the way to Rosemont? There simply isn't enough money to provide the services that other areas provide. Just wait until Arden-Arcade becomes a city. It is going to take Arden Mall, Birdcage, and the Auto Dealers on Fulton with it. That will be a scary day in the county offices.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
Yeah it is. Based on your response, I'm under the school of thought that you feel it's okay for someone to pick up other peoples crap all day long but they are not justified the same level of quality of life and commodities as others, merely because they "drive a truck"?

Where the value of the career based on the social necessity? Our modern day consumption based culture puts high value on amenities such as public sanitation, but there's to be no consideration of whether or not members of that career field can afford to live in the community he or she serves?
Agreed. Besides, $18/hr really isn't that much money. I sure as hell wouldn't be a garbage man for that.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Yeah it is. Based on your response, I'm under the school of thought that you feel it's okay for someone to pick up other peoples crap all day long but they are not justified the same level of quality of life and commodities as others, merely because they "drive a truck"?

Where the value of the career based on the social necessity? Our modern day consumption based culture puts high value on amenities such as public sanitation, but there's to be no consideration of whether or not members of that career field can afford to live in the community he or she serves?
I have a feeling that there are a sanitation engineers that own houses
Old 09-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx blue lowred, vf 34, fmic
Only cause their wives have nice jobs or they bought them long ago.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
BanHammer™

sounds like if people cannot afford what they like at the current salary, then said people need to find new jobs.

thats what I love about this country. If you have people that do not want to do the work, they can move along and you will find people that will at that wage.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I'd advise you to reread the thread. I never put down any of the striking employees for the work that they do. I dislike unions because of their bull**** and how they tend to protect people who are worthless employees. Unions also seem to protect their employees to the detriment of their employers. Look at the big three auto makers right now, they're in all these messed up situations because of the knots the unions have tied them in to. When they want to close a plant, it costs them millions because they have to pay out all these people for years. They're in a bad financial position, and when they need to cut benefits/pay to stay aloft, the unions strike and make things even worse. If my employer cut my pay or my benefits, I'd either roll with it or find a new job. My "school of thought" is that you work hard to have what you do. You don't just tell someone "hey, I want to afford this, so you have to give me a raise", you work hard for the opportunity to make more money and when the opportunity arises, you take it. I take responsibility for myself and hold myself accountable - what I make I earn, what I don't, I didn't. I don't expect people to just give me handouts because my chosen proffession doesn't pay me enough to live the way I want.

Originally Posted by NewYorkReload
It's all about demand. There's a certain point at which paying for the service no longer justifies the cost, the consumer stops paying for the service, and then the service provider closes it's doors. The pay wage for garbage men, myself, you, or other employees is set at a level that should be sustainable to the employer.

Last edited by nachomc; 09-12-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:35 PM

If you cannot afford a house on two salaries at $18/hr then you have issues with money management

Two people making $18/hr is almost $75k/yr. That is easily enough money to afford a nice house, and is well above the median for the area.

It is no longer possible to afford a house on a single blue-collar income. That is the reality in which we live, and people need to realize it.

There are customer service reps making $18/hr. It isn't a LOT of money.

edit - In most cases Unions do not get their workers more than the company would give them without the union. Autoworkers in non-union plants get comparable wages/benefits. Customer service reps in CWA call centers usually get worse wages than non-union sites. All unions do is suck up dues, and cause hassles when it comes time to renegotiate.

Their time has passed.

Last edited by chri5; 09-12-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
holy crap, a garbage collector gets $18.00 per hour? my wife is an office worker for a nearby city and barely makes that much, and that's after cashing out her benefits.

to me, it's not about their "worth to society" or any of that other bs. it's about getting my damn trash picked up.

if i ran sac county waste disposal, i'd be on the phone with WM, Atlas, or any of the other local waste pickup companies that serve the various incorporated areas and firing all my employee's that don't want to work.

oh btw, my trash didn't get picked up today again. that means no pickup till next tuesday at the earliest.

here is a response i received to an e-mail i sent the county in regards to adjusting my billing:
Originally Posted by county *****
The Board of Supervisors would need to approve of any credit.

No decision will be made regarding a refund for the service missed until it is known how many weeks garbage pickup may be missed.

Last edited by RussB; 09-12-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
if you wanted a ******* box older house, you'd be paying around $2000/mo here.

this calculator says $1000/mo on that income. ($160k house): http://bankrate.com/brm/calc/newhouse/calculator.asp

Last edited by Sky92x; 09-12-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
1. Quit yer *****in' about garbage piling up. A real man would burn it at night.

2. dbtuned does not drug test.

3. In most municipalities, you must pay for garbage service, even if you don't use the pick up service.

4. A real man would organise a protest & dump trash on the yards of the county supervisors or trash haulers, depending on your political leaning.

5. dbtuned does not drug test.

6. Most people spend waaay toooo much money on pointless **** instead of buying a house, or even better, modding their car at dbtuned.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by Sky92x
if you wanted a ******* box older house, you'd be paying around $2000/mo here.

this calculator says $1000/mo on that income. ($160k house): http://bankrate.com/brm/calc/newhouse/calculator.asp
hello.. I am the declining california housing market that is going down faster then a $2 *****...

have we met ?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
hello.. I am the declining california housing market that is going down faster then a $2 *****...

have we met ?
its still far from affordable.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by Sky92x
its still far from affordable.
I make 50k+ a year and we will be able to afford a house next year, and not using a garbage interest only loan to boot.

We have no car payments and no credit card debt, so its a matter of sacrifice of what is really important to you.

Do you want a house or do you want multiple cars and loaded up in CC debt from buying stuff you dont really need?

As soon as the wifey goes back to work when my Daughter is a bit older, then we will be able to get a new car, but right now, I rather buy a house and drive our current cars then own new cars and continue to live in an apartment.

Owning a home in California is not hard, and with builders throwing new houses at people with 50-100k off of prices, its getting easier and easier now.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I make 50k+ a year and we will be able to afford a house next year, and not using a garbage interest only loan to boot.

We have no car payments and no credit card debt, so its a matter of sacrifice of what is really important to you.

Do you want a house or do you want multiple cars and loaded up in CC debt from buying stuff you dont really need?

As soon as the wifey goes back to work when my Daughter is a bit older, then we will be able to get a new car, but right now, I rather buy a house and drive our current cars then own new cars and continue to live in an apartment.

Owning a home in California is not hard, and with builders throwing new houses at people with 50-100k off of prices, its getting easier and easier now.
dude, i don't even know you anymore. :rotfl:
Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by RussB
dude, i don't even know you anymore. :rotfl:
hahah.. sorry.. parenthood changes your views on life

Quick Reply: f-u sac county