i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   Congrats LARRY! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/congrats-larry-127346/)

omygata 02-27-2006 05:10 PM

*as he wipes the sweat from his brow! I just paid the fine when I got pulled for my exhaust. They sent me to a ref but I didn't have the time.

Rivers 02-27-2006 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=omygata]*as he wipes the sweat from his brow! I just paid the fine when I got pulled for my exhaust. They sent me to a ref but I didn't have the time.[/QUOTE]

when are you do for registration because that will go on your record and you won't be able to register your car until you get it smogged

Rivers 02-27-2006 05:15 PM

also if you look at the certificate of compliance note that is says exhaust system make/model basically if i went in there w/an aftermarket exhaust catback i would have gotten it certified to have it on the car :D

Rivers 02-27-2006 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=Cohnster]He betta put that fmic back on, I want my stock bov and tmic back!![/QUOTE]

whatever that why you kept shooting the hks bov off up and down my street:D

omygata 02-27-2006 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=Rivers]whatever that why you kept shooting the hks bov off up and down my street:D[/QUOTE]
i used to do that all the time!

Rivers 02-27-2006 05:36 PM

I forgot to mention the mods i had on left on the car
vf30
pinks
uppipe
ecutek reflash

I got real scared when they plugged into ecu to get the readings but 5mins later it was all gravy. :D

After my test was over i asked the ref what is the deal w/FMIC. he told me that the intercooler are legal its just the piping is not.

So I asked the guy if i where to put a FMIC on my car and carb sticker for the pipping would it be legal??,

He said yes to a certain degree saying that if it were to pass emessions but then I would fail on the visual saying that my car came w/tmic.

So then I asked what if i hide it really well to the point you couldn't even see it like the have it on volvos and mercedes, he then told me if i can't see it then it would pass the visual.

omygata 02-27-2006 05:55 PM

so technically, you could have left the core in the bumper, took the piping off, and then put the top mount on and it would have been fine?

bemani 02-27-2006 06:01 PM

Well if they can't see the fmic they wouldn't have pop your hood in the first place.

Rivers 02-27-2006 06:03 PM

yes as long its not connected but I wouldnt pass b/c no bumper beam :(

Rivers 02-27-2006 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=bemani]Well if they can't see the fmic they wouldn't have pop your hood in the first place.[/QUOTE]
it wasnt the fmic it was the exhaust

RussB 02-27-2006 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Rivers]I forgot to mention the mods i had on left on the car
vf30
pinks
uppipe
ecutek reflash

I got real scared when they plugged into ecu to get the readings but 5mins later it was all gravy. :D[/QUOTE]

that's ballsy.

soggynoodles 02-27-2006 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=RussB]that's ballsy.[/QUOTE]

That's how they roll in sacto.

once again.. congrats.

Rivers 02-27-2006 06:45 PM

well somebody had to be the guinea pig :D

doubleurx 02-27-2006 07:15 PM

Congrats. So what was the whole story. You got pulled for the exhaust, popped your hood and they sent you to the ref? It sounds like you only pulled the exhaust, intake and the FMIC?. Did you have it reflashed for stock or did you just run it rough?

Hmmmm why am I asking so many questions? Crap there goes another one.

Kostamojen 02-27-2006 08:05 PM

Not really, unless the smog shop knows turbos and knows the injectors arent supposed to be pink, or knows to look for the uppipe, you should be fine... Its all "bolt on" stuff that will pass visual, which they mostly look for wrong color piping or intakes/aftermarket exhausts/obvious modifications.
Plus, Ecutek reflashes don't show up on the OBD-II check from what I know, and I dont even think its technically an illegal modification anyway.

Ive been to the smog place like 4 or 5 times in the last couple years, I've got it about figured out what you need to pass and what definatly won't pass...

An interesting thing happened when I had my swaped L smogged, they completely missed the BAR sticker and were going to fail me because I had the wrong motor/emissions equipment (didn't match up to the hood diagram). As soon as they saw the BAR sticker, everything was hunky dorry and passed no problemo.