Comaros are teh s uck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Mad Ra88it
It has to do with resale value of the car, since now on carfax it will show up that it has been hit. And new buyers (should you wanna sell it) will see that and offer you less.

Some insurance companies are known to compensate you for the difference.
When I wrecked my bugeye, it didn't show up on CarFax when I ran the reports using a paid account, however when the dealership ran the CarFax (unfortunately for them it was after they'd paid me for the car and taken ownership), it did show up for them.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Car Info: Sline
carmaxpwn3d them.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by nachomc
When I wrecked my bugeye, it didn't show up on CarFax when I ran the reports using a paid account, however when the dealership ran the CarFax (unfortunately for them it was after they'd paid me for the car and taken ownership), it did show up for them.
Is carfax just looking up claims from the insurance cos. or is it some bigger reporting thing through the DMV?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Double Phister
1. Is it a JDM/EDM light?
2. 04-05 fitment?
3. Is it Ion (aka multicolor)?
4. how much are you asking for?
5. I don't remember if they were specific for each side or not.

All I really need are the lights. I'm sure the surrounds can be fixed up by the shop.
It is NIB JDM ION drivers side fog light. I broke the passenger side light and had to buy a complete set to replace one light. $100 bucks.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Double Phister
Is carfax just looking up claims from the insurance cos. or is it some bigger reporting thing through the DMV?
I don't know what it was. I have this feeling that there are different tiers of service available with carfax and that car dealers get a bit more thorough check than the average user. That's just speculation on my part though.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
Originally Posted by nachomc
I don't know what it was. I have this feeling that there are different tiers of service available with carfax and that car dealers get a bit more thorough check than the average user. That's just speculation on my part though.
makes sense.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
carfax or not, a dealership will be able to tell that you car has had extensive repair work. when i blasted a deer with my infiniti, it got a new bumper cover, new grill, new hood, etc... anything the deer touched got replaced with new OEM parts. all the work was done at cooks, and i could not tell afterward that anything had happened at all. AFAIK, it wasn't on carfax.

i went to trade it in on my truck and the used car inspector knew within minutes of looking at it. he said they had a "paint thickness meter" that somehow can detect different paint thickness from body panel to body panel.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RussB
i went to trade it in on my truck and the used car inspector knew within minutes of looking at it. he said they had a "paint thickness meter" that somehow can detect different paint thickness from body panel to body panel.
That's pretty high end. The only time I've seen someone use one of those, is when a guy was detailing a Bugatti. I can't remember off the top of my head what task he was using it for (repainting or what).
Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by jvick125
That's pretty high end. The only time I've seen someone use one of those, is when a guy was detailing a Bugatti. I can't remember off the top of my head what task he was using it for (repainting or what).
it was when they were restoring the horrible condition of the paint and the dude checked the thickness around the area that needed to be buffeded to make sure there was enough paint available

If they use thickness as a scale if the car has been repaired or not, then any Subaru will show repair with as horrible of paint jobs come from the factory
Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
if they use thickness as a scale if the car has been repaired or not, then any Subaru will show repair with as horrible of paint jobs come from the factory

what's funny about that statement is that any car forum you read for long enough periods, that comment will come up.

when i was on a rsx site, those cars had the worst paint evar. on the g35 site, worst paint evar. here, worst paint evar. i'm sure if i went to a tundra site, they would have the worst paint evar.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
well, it was a 1.5 year old car that had a trade-in value of 90% of the purchase price...

side note, don't ever buy a used g35c from any dealership. they go for the price of a brand new one.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Father Time

My coworker's Dad works for the BAR. I'm gonna have him look at the car afterwards. He has the paint thickness gauge.

According to him and carfax the frame damage isn't anything to worry about unless it wasn't repaired to specs. You can have an independent frame inspection done (with fricken laser beams) that will tell you if it's good or not. That's all that really matters in my mind. I might do that just to show any future buyers (I've never sold a car private party). If it's not to specs then that's a warranty issue at teh repair shop.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Father Time

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/ftp/pdf...Inspection.pdf
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM

when you said The BAR, I thought you meant in legal terms.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Father Time

I never thought I would look forward to a BAR technician looking over my car. I feel dirty.

Quick Reply: Comaros are teh s uck