60k service done, what a headache!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
60k service done, what a headache!

The service wasn't actually the headache but what the techs found was very upsetting. First off, I have nothing but good things to say about Shingle Springs Subaru who did the service. Its was done in very little time and cost me only $395.

However, during the service the tech called me to ask if I had work done on the car recently or ever. I said yes: about 2 years ago my entire from clip was replaced minus the engine. He then told me that some bolts were loose that connect the steering column to the box. This would cost $90 to have him inspect the gears to make sure nothing is broken. I had been driving and racing with this. I say OK fix it.

He then tells me that he found chunks of metal on the transmission drain plug. The trans shifts perfectly and engages all gears without any problems. He recommends to tear the thing apart to inpect. I say NO don't touch it.

I know I can get reimbursed for the steering issue from the insurance company that dealt with the collision.

When I picked up the car I saw the peices that were on the trans drain plug. They look flat like they had been mashed through the gears. They looked like peices of a bushing. Also, the tech stripped one of my lugs.

So should I stress over the transmission or should I not worry about it? Again the car drives and shift perfectly normal.

Overall the car is amazing. Since tightening the steering column the car feels much better than before. Thank you Shingle Springs Subaru.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
you're thanking them for stripping your lugnut?

i hope you had them fix that at no charge.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
Of course its no charge, but I am not thanking them for that I am thanking them for everything else.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
i've thought about using them (since i have to drive by there every day) but i normally do all my services myself, and anything major i'll prolly give to paul.
taking my car to the dealership just scares me.
my butt tries to escape the moment i pull in the driveway.
it doesn't like being treated so harshly.

haw is their parts department?
i think i need to stop in there and grab a few misc crappy things.
do they sell at flat retail or do they offer up some deals on pricing?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
who was your service writer? the guy Ryan thats there about 20 years old, short, skinny, red head dude is a friend of mine. ill probably make the drive up there if i need stuff done, that or ill go to Paul.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Is it out of warranty? If it is then maybe they have those pieces on hand to get people to pay more for a service they don't even need?