Advice from my Denver friends

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Advice from my Denver friends

Hey everyone, I'm from Denver but i am stationed in El Paso for now. I bought a 2005 rs down here and i haven't had to drive it in any bad weather yet. I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for protecting my car and getting the best all weather performance. I have painted Subaru splash guards on now and i am trying to find a place to do a clear bra. Can you all think of anything else that would benifit me? I don't plan on doing any mods that will void my warrenty, especially powertrain, but i would consider suspension mods, as long as i don't loose any winter drivability. THanks
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I'd say a good wax helps a lot in keeping off that mag-chloride ****. Other than that, a clear bra makes a big difference.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Are there any problems with suspension mods that would make winter driving more difficult? Also, has anyone had problems with cai due to the snow and rain? Thanks
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
You can run what ever suspension you want during the winter. I never thought there was any difference. A good set of tires will help out a lot.

cai???
Old 02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Well, suspension-wise just be aware that when you stiffen your suspension (to eliminate things like, say, body roll), you're essentially transferring that energy down to the tires, which in turn puts more stress on them. However, in snowy conditions, you're seldom driving at the limits, so you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. I would certainly ditch the stock all season tires, as they seem to be pretty bad at just about everything.

As far as the CAI goes, I have not heard of any problems due to the weather here. However, I wouldn't recommend getting one for your particular car. The newer subaru's have a pretty good intake system, and you won't be gaining near as many HP's as you think you will. Instead of dropping all that cash on a CAI, I'd say just get a KN drop in filter and call it a day. You'll get about the same gain, and you'll never have to worry about warranty/weather problems.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks for all of the help. I should be taking a road trip up to denver next week and I'm kinda hoping the weather is bad, just so i can play a little. I'm trying to set up an appointment so that i can get a clear bra put on, and not be without my car for too long. Does anybody know of a good place for this?