i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Auto X (https://www.i-club.com/forums/road-racing-auto-x-51/)
-   -   Stuff Needed for a Track Day (https://www.i-club.com/forums/road-racing-auto-x-51/stuff-needed-track-day-173927/)

darkonion 11-09-2007 10:25 AM

Definitely!!

WrbImprezaSti 11-30-2007 09:03 AM

how much is the event and is it too late to register? im leaving mid january for the air force so i kind of want to go race at a track one time before i go. My buddy Justin was talking about this last night, maybe i'll convince him to go.

darkonion 11-30-2007 10:42 AM

I believe that there are still spots available. I read on NorCalEvo that someone is trying to sell their spot because they have a wedding to attend. I'll PM you the link to NCE thread.

WrbImprezaSti 11-30-2007 11:38 AM

i'll contact him this weekend, i wanna be in the novice class since it will be my first time to.

darkonion 11-30-2007 12:24 PM

Actually, you might want to contact him ASAP. Just like in the PM I sent you, the beginner slots are extremely limited.

nicknaz 11-30-2007 05:12 PM

what you listed is good. you don't need the lawn chairs or tent or whatever.. i just sit in my car or sit on the benches.. and i pack sandwiches.. seems like a hassle to have all of that other stuff. you are going drive no to go camping... :)

and make sure you bring a lot of water and sunscreen also

also, i find that the air pressures i use for autox are unsuitable (too high) for track use. i ended up bleeding a lot of air out of my tires and when all was said and done it turned out i was running pretty close to 'manufacturer recommended air pressure' (32psi f / 30psi r) i am using kumho mx in 225/50/16 size on stock '02 wrx wheels

what brake pads are you using? if you use the same pads that you use on the street i recommend using your first lap to perform the bed-in procedure again, and use the last lap to cool down the brakes before going back in the paddock. i did not re bed-in my pads and i got uneven pad deposition (using brembo sport brake pads and brembo blank rotors with stock '02 wrx calipers)

have fun!

sigma pi 12-01-2007 09:11 AM

im a mooch

i bring water oil and paper towels

the rest i have in my car
tire wrench
pressure gague
sunglasses

the rest i mooch

pwn 12-07-2007 04:47 AM

After being out on the track, just coming off and parking your car, leave it in gear rather than put the parking brake on. Let it cool down a bit before you engage it, because at the high temperatures induced from tracking it, you can tweak the hat.

Also don't hold down the normal brake for long while stopped either. The reason for this is when things are that hot, your pads can leave spots where pad material essentials welds to your rotors, or you can just warp them straight up.

:eek:

Not really a what to bring, but I figured it should be mentioned.

wombatsauce 12-14-2007 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=pwn;2048013]After being out on the track, just coming off and parking your car, leave it in gear rather than put the parking brake on. Let it cool down a bit before you engage it, because at the high temperatures induced from tracking it, you can tweak the hat.

Also don't hold down the normal brake for long while stopped either. The reason for this is when things are that hot, your pads can leave spots where pad material essentials welds to your rotors, or you can just warp them straight up.

:eek:

Not really a what to bring, but I figured it should be mentioned.[/QUOTE]

I usually use chocks (or a rock, a brick, my head, a large sammich, etc) to keep the car still and leave it in neutral. I have this thing about hanging the weight of my car on my engine/trans mounts.... Also I move the car a little every few minutes for the first little while so the rotors cool evenly and the same spot isn't in the caliper for the whole cool-down.

Also, I use a good quality tire pressure gauge (you can get them at Sears Point too in the $tore there) and a tire pump like you would use for your bike. Not sure why you need an air compressor - sure it would be nice, but just one more thing to lug along and the tire pump works fine (unless I am missing something).

Make sure you get enough to drink, and print out Egan's list cuz it's perfect.

:)

Evo duster 12-18-2007 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Egan;2023400]Here's what I usually bring:

Helmet (some tracks rent them too)
Tools
Pressure Gauge
Air Compressor/Tank
Chairs
Sunglasses
Credit Card for gas
ID
Tech Inspection Form (filled out)
Wheel Chocks
Jack
Jackstands
Ramps
Brake Fluid
Oil
Water
Brake Pads
Camera
Lap timer
Gloves
Window cleaner

I think I might be forgetting a couple of things. I have all of my stuff in milk crates already packed for track day.[/QUOTE]

A couple of rags.

darkonion 12-19-2007 01:01 AM

Cool cool. Sounds good.

OakosAutomotive 01-16-2008 10:43 AM

Add blue painters tape to that list too (masking tape). You can use it to cover the fogs & headlights to protect them from stone/rock chips that can offten happen near run off areas....some folks even tape up the whole front end.

Happy track days!
Clayton
OAKOS Automotive

wombatsauce 01-16-2008 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=OakosAutomotive;2079663]Add blue painters tape to that list too (masking tape). You can use it to cover the fogs & headlights to protect them from stone/rock chips that can offten happen near run off areas....some folks even tape up the whole front end.

Happy track days!
Clayton
OAKOS Automotive[/QUOTE]

Be careful though and use the kind you can get off without leaving residue! I have seen people use duct tape before and learn the hard way. My fav stuff is that cloth tape you can get at hardware stores (the black stuff) and they also sell it at a few tracks - I know they do at Sears. I used to tape up the whole front of the Spyder for track days to save the huge lights and stuff.

darkonion 01-16-2008 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=OakosAutomotive;2079663]Add blue painters tape to that list too (masking tape). You can use it to cover the fogs & headlights to protect them from stone/rock chips that can offten happen near run off areas....some folks even tape up the whole front end.

Happy track days!
Clayton
OAKOS Automotive[/QUOTE]

Yup. I did buy some before I went out to the track the other week. I still need to buy a air pressure gauge. Going to need one for auto-x season.