Sheehan Again Pilots Audi In Watkins Glen Grand-Am Cup

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:46 AM

Car Info: '16 GTI, '02 Miata SE
Originally Posted by go go go
...Gary is a gentleman...
I guess I gave the other driver the benefit of the doubt that he was a gentleman also. In both amateur and professional racing, how drivers interact with one another really depend on the reputations they have built for themselves. They can push and block, or they can yield and give. The fine balance between the two would be ideal, but how do you get there? Sometimes one bad pass can get you labeled as overly aggressive, or if you give someone room in a corner, you can get marked as too relaxed. I have yet to find that balalnce. I guess I am more of the latter working towards the former.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:23 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
It's one thing to give someone a gentle nudge in a corner to intentionally spin their car out or give a little love tap from behind to let someone know you're there, but the following facts prove only one thing:

>Jep was in the process of pulling nose-to-nose beside Gary and had just pulled a couple feet ahead when he moved over and forced Gary off the track;
>Jep's car moved over too quickly to gently force Gary's car off the track without instantly causing his own car to lose control and crash;
>Gary had moved over, given Jep as much room as possible to pass, and was already at the very edge of the track when the collision occurred.
>Gary's steering wheel was actually turning to the left, winding out of the right hand turn, AWAY from Jep's car, when the collision occurred.

Jep erroneously allowed his car to track out too far before completing the pass and/or wasn't paying attention to his mirrors, therefore the blame for this collision rests squarely on the shoulders of Jep Thornton. I would love to hear his explanation of how it was not his fault.

Tim
Old 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
main thing you are okay!
adrenaline sure does help eh?(in regards to injury)
but i wonder, for people on your level
how much adrenaline rush do you feel?
wish you the best in upcoming...

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
Great question. None. Well, almost none. At the start of a race, I'm a little bit nervous. But there is no "rush" that I feel when driving a race car. Actually, I don't even think I can say I'm actually having fun when I'm driving. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing I like to do more than drive race cars. But during the event, there is very rarely a time I am ever thinking "Wow, this is a blast!" Occassionally something will happen on track that will work it's way into my consciousness and I'll be aware that something was cool. Like up at Mont Tremblant when I finally was able to pass David Murray in The Race Site Porsche. It took several laps of close racing. When I finally got in front of him I gave him a thumbs up, because it was hard, tight, clean racing. But that's about it.

Afterwards is when I really get to enjoy what I do. I guess that's why bench racing after the race is so much fun. It's because that's when I get to allow the emotions to catch up to my actions. A lot of times I'll be amped up after talking about parts of the race when during the race I felt little to no emotion at all. I got the chance to talk with David Murray about our battle on the track and we were both so animated and laughing and fired up about it.

I guess it's more than just the driving. It's the living to tell about it as well!

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 07-10-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
A lifestyle...