SCCA E Mod Solo II suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Car Info: None.
SCCA E Mod Solo II suggestions?

I have a 98 4 door "L" that we dropped an '02 WRX engine / drivetrain into. Currently it has 01 RS springs and struts on it with an STi rear swaybar. I'm running the stock WRX split 5-spoke 16" wheels and the oh-so-not-performace RE92s. I am The Understeer.

I was going to sell my car, but now I think I've decided to keep it and make it more competitive in the class. I know a lot of my understeer comes from my ham-fisted driving (lack of) technique. I'm sure the tires and the full 30º roll Pirate Ship Suspension™ aren't helping either!

So - here's the deal. I want to fit coil overs on my car, but I don't want to spend the crazy money on 'em. I don't need top of the line gear, but I don't want a fly-by-night company either. Any recommendations on that front?

What do you folks think about the under brace (?) stuff on the front end? I know the WRX had a big brace that bolted under the subframe - right now my car doesn't have one. Rear (in-trunk) stuff? What would you do?

I have a set of the 6 spoke RS style wheels. I was thinking of getting some race rubber for them at a later date. Right now I want to concentrate on learning ... I don't need anything to throw my learning curve out of whack!

My thought on purchase progression was:
1. Coilovers
2. Front and rear braces
3. Stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear (?)
4. Better tires
5. More power (?)

The car is going to be driven daily most likely. I don't mind a stiffer suspension, but I also don't want to have to wear a kidney belt in the car on the way to work.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my RS hood to a friend and go back to the flat hood look with a FMIC. Going to ditch the "L" spoiler on the trunk as well...debadge the car, and then get it repainted in the factory red. (blue sucks)

...I get some sweet dive under braking also.

Thanks in advance!
-Andy

Last edited by Latka; 09-24-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Andy,
Cool car! I've been following the build over at HIIC. Good job.
I think Joltdudeuc and/or Darkonion can answer some of your questions since they have GC's and autocross too.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Hey.

I guess it really depends what you are looking for. My set-up kind of consists of... coilovers, front and rear sways, and a pulley. Joltdudeuc would probably be more qualified to answer your questions though.

But here is my set-up for your reference.

"Kevin M" would also be a good person to talk to.

17x7.5 Rota SubZero's, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 (215/45/17)
Stance Coilover, 8k front, 6k rear
19mm Front, 20mm rear.

It is nice, I can get the tail to slide out with little effort. People say that the tail seems to come out really easy when they watch me drive. Compared to the WRX, they also say it is a little easier to get the tail out.

I can't really comment on the underbody braces... just because I haven't experienced them. I do hear that the fender braces do help though.

1. Coilovers - Yes!! Call Mach III at (415) 594-0029 and ask for Henry if you are interested in the Stance coilovers. Tell DarkOnion sent you.
2. Front and rear braces - don't know, I think strut tower braces, at least for the front, are kind of useless, rear I don't know, but I am not going to put one back there. I like it the way it is already.
3. Stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear (?) Yes!! Go get yourself a set of stock WRX one's. Try those first and see how you like them. Fine tune from there. Even on my stock suspension, and 19mm front and 20mm rear, I was sliding and even some cases spinning out.
4. Better tires - always helps!!
5. More power (?) - Don't know if you really need more power. Ask joltdudeuc about that.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Car Info: None.
I can probably pass on the more power bit for now. That was my optimistic projection into the future.

Thank you for the recommendations and the comments. The car is most certainly quicker than it was with the NA 2.2L in there!

Oh - I do have the WRX fender braces on the car. Stock WRX swaybar up front and the STi one from the GC era on the back side. I have the later WRX and STi bars in the carport that I might have to try at some point. For now I think I need to concentrate on taking my foot OFF the loud pedal when I start my Ice Cream Truck demo in the corners.

I do look like Bowser in the car... I'm kinda hoooge.