Passing Laguna Seca's 92 db limit?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Passing Laguna Seca's 92 db limit?

Hi

I have Protuned Stage 2 with just a downpipe (Cobb catted) and was wondering if I pass 92 dB sound limit at Laguna Seca. Car is louder comared to stock but not much. everything except DP is stock (CBE, intake, etc.).
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM

I am an instructor with Hooked On Driving and we were just there a month or so ago. My '04 STi has a Cobb turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat, stage 2 access port pro-tuned by Mike Warfield at GST Motorsports. It's not too loud but sounds good and didn't get anyones attention at MRLS.

I'm sure you'll be OK. I was a little concerned when I was told about the noise limit but it wasn't a problem. As you come out of turn 5 and head up the hill there is a building on the right, that is where they measure the decibels. So if you're concerned, just ease into the throttle going up that hill until you hear of anyone else getting busted for noise, then try to compare your set up to them.

MRLS is an absolute blast, you'll have a lot of fun.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX, 99 FOZ
You wont have any trouble, as from past experience there I have heard cars much louder than our suby's with turbobacks. When I went last, PDX Tuning had their Suby their and had no problems with noise restrictions. Like jpdriver says you will have a blast and its fun beating the sports cars around the track. When are you going? I may sign up for one in May.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by T-REX133
You wont have any trouble, as from past experience there I have heard cars much louder than our suby's with turbobacks. When I went last, PDX Tuning had their Suby their and had no problems with noise restrictions. Like jpdriver says you will have a blast and its fun beating the sports cars around the track. When are you going? I may sign up for one in May.
T-REX133, thank you! I was thinking about signing up for June1 event with Hooked on Driving. Just wanted to be sure that I'll pass those sound limits

I know there will be LS track event with GGCBMWCCA. Are you going with them?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jpdriver
I am an instructor with Hooked On Driving and we were just there a month or so ago. My '04 STi has a Cobb turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat, stage 2 access port pro-tuned by Mike Warfield at GST Motorsports. It's not too loud but sounds good and didn't get anyones attention at MRLS.
Jpdriver, thank you! I was also protuned by GST/Mike. I remember that I asked that question and Greg wasn't sure if I pass 92db sound limit. He told me that they also have somebody walking there with a mobile unit and you never know where they measure. But yeah, my car doesn't seem to be loud at all.

MRLS is an absolute blast, you'll have a lot of fun.
I'm sorry but what's MRLS?

I'm thinking about June1 with HOD. Never been with this club before (I had NASA and GGCBMWCCA track days). I actually sent you a PM a few days ago. I have a few questions about run groups and etc if you don't mind...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM

MRLS= Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Sorry I didn't get your PM until just now, been pretty busy lately.

I'll PM you with my cell #. Feel free to call me and leave a VM if I don't pick up.

I'm sure you'll enjoy HOD. Very professional, great instructors. Go to www.hookedondriving.com and check it out.

Look for me when you go. I'll be in a Black '04 STi, if I don't sell it first. It's for sale if you know anyone in the market for a low mileage, mildly modded STi. If I don't bring it look for Doug in a White '04 STi. He's a good instructor and knows the track well, do a lead follow with him and you won't be disappointed.

BTW my car is a tad bit loud and they never flaged me for noise so don't worry, just come out and have some fun.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRC STi and a Brat
Laguna Sound

I have the same set up. O4 Sti Cobb tbe, catted downpipe, stock intake, stage 2 tune by Mike at GST and I'm 87-88 dbs as tested by Laguna Seca.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Car Info: '11 WRX DGM hatch
Sorry for the two-year bump, but I'm wondering how the OPs day went with regard to exhaust sound? I'm heading there in a couple weeks with a '11 WRX with CNT turboback and Cobb intake, and would like to be ready to make some modifications if need be.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by getkong
Sorry for the two-year bump, but I'm wondering how the OPs day went with regard to exhaust sound? I'm heading there in a couple weeks with a '11 WRX with CNT turboback and Cobb intake, and would like to be ready to make some modifications if need be.
I was OK, but with a stock intake and stock CBE. I don't know how noisy CNT CBE is. I know that AEM intake with COBB catted DP and SPT CBE passes (friend's car)... So if your combo is not louder than his you should be OK (I guess)...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM

is the intake a legitimate source of noise for the purposes of passing sound?? I always figured the exhaust would be 99% of the problem.

My Cobb is noticeably louder than my buddy's AEM, so I'm hoping that isn't going to be the straw that puts me over.

I guess I'll bring my stock intake, accessport, and maybe some 90 degree bend pipes if I need to attach them to my tips in a last ditch effort to not have to lift...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 99 Porsche 996
Originally Posted by jpdriver
MRLS= Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Sorry I didn't get your PM until just now, been pretty busy lately.

I'll PM you with my cell #. Feel free to call me and leave a VM if I don't pick up.

I'm sure you'll enjoy HOD. Very professional, great instructors. Go to Hooked On Driving - Leading National Performance Driving Program, High Performance Driving Experience, High Performance Driving School and check it out.

Look for me when you go. I'll be in a Black '04 STi, if I don't sell it first. It's for sale if you know anyone in the market for a low mileage, mildly modded STi. If I don't bring it look for Doug in a White '04 STi. He's a good instructor and knows the track well, do a lead follow with him and you won't be disappointed.

BTW my car is a tad bit loud and they never flaged me for noise so don't worry, just come out and have some fun.

HOD events rock. small run groups smooth transition's

since last july i've done every HOD event at Infineon.. and no u don't go over 92db i am uncatted with a borla hush and i'm under 92 db's
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

is the intake a legitimate source of noise for the purposes of passing sound?? I always figured the exhaust would be 99% of the problem.

My Cobb is noticeably louder than my buddy's AEM, so I'm hoping that isn't going to be the straw that puts me over.

I guess I'll bring my stock intake, accessport, and maybe some 90 degree bend pipes if I need to attach them to my tips in a last ditch effort to not have to lift...
We actually had a late model Ferrari get busted for sound from his intake at Laguna Seca. That big 12 cylinder really sucked the air.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM

godo to know. i'll bring my stock intake just in case.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM

godo to know. i'll bring my stock intake just in case.
Honestly, I doubt that you'll have any issues.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Just for future reference for anything else, I had zero problems with my CNT turboback and Cobb intake on my 2011 WRX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passing Laguna Seca's 92 db limit?