JC Meynet/Harmanmotive continue win streak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
JC Meynet/Harmanmotive continue win streak!

JC Meynet/Harmanmotive continue undefeated streak in Street tire class at California Speedway with Redline Time Attack 7-20-08

Following our challenging multi-race-win at Miller Motorsports Park 3 weeks ago, we realized that the competition is starting to really heat up in both the Street and Modified awd classes. Miller was the first (and only) time that we didn't qualify on pole as fastest Street tire qualifier. This definitely sent us a message that we need to work even harder on our already very aggressive car/driver development program. Fortunately, we made the correct decisions with some setup changes due the excessive temperatures and elevation to end up winning every Street tire category and almost won Modified as well in our Street tire class car (with simply a tire change).

We realized that engine heat and aerodynamics would be our main issues at this high speed "Roval" course at California Speedway with top speeds expected to approach 170mph. With that in mind, we designed a new aero setup to better control the airflow to/thru the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator. We also added a lower section to our front splitter in order to help reduce air from getting under the car (in order to reduce high speed "lift"). From our previous testing, we also knew that we would be as slow as mid 40mph in 4 other sections of the track which calls for a totally different setup and approach. It's always about compromises.....

We decided to sit out the Saturday practice session as we knew our car was strong and I had just recently spent time on this track. Instead, I spent time with helping some other drivers and watching the competition. After a carnivorous rib dinner at "Claim Jumper" with the cool GST/Subaru crew and a good night's sleep, we felt ready for raceday.

On Sunday morning, we did our usual plan of warmup sessions while watching gauges with ride along's with Subaru guru Adon and racers Eric and Ryan, all from Harmanmotive. We felt strong and competitive so we sat out the 4th and final practice to preserve the car. We qualified on pole in the Street tire class and near the front in mod with our worn out practice tires and a passenger in each session. "Confidence is high, repeat, confidence is high!"

As predicted, we knocked a bunch of time off our practice pace now that I was running fresh tires, no passenger, lighter fuel load, and no traffic to deal with. My opening lap of a 1:50.xx was fast enough to lock in the win in Street tire All Wheel Drive class and also the fastest Street tire time overall. This also is the new track record in both of those categories. I was also about 4 seconds ahead of the 2nd place awd car, an eternity in racing.

After a phenomenal 1st pit stop by the Harmanmotive crew to get me on my "R" compound tires, I ventured out for the 1st Modified class race session. I managed a good but not necessarily great lap time and much to my surprise, I had the fastest Modified time as well! I had hoped to be near the front with my powerful but heavier and much less modified car but to be at the front was an unexpected surprise!

We sat out the mid-day practice session to make some more aero changes for better top speed knowing that the competition wouldn't be sitting still during the lunch break but instead, they would be doing whatever they could to get me as I was now carrying the target on my back!

Our aero changes definitely made the car faster in top speed but also resulted in a severe "loose" conditon with the rear of the car. While this was "exciting" to drive, it was overall slower and our lap times suffered. Fortunately, my previous Street tire lap times held strong and we clinched that win.

After another stellar pit stop by the Harmanmotive boys, I took to the track again for the final Modified race session. As feared, our loose condition continued an we didn't improve on our lap times. Unfortunately for us, several other teams made changes in the form of fresh tires, more boost, and who knows what else. Surprisingly, not 1, but 4 teams managed to set times slightly faster than my 1st round best time and put me back to a season worst 5th place in Modified! OUCH!!!

Oh well, dominating Street tire class is our main goal and any success in Modified is just icing on the cake! We also know that the winning driver/team was using Unlimited class BFG tires worth a couple of seconds per lap over the typical Modified class legal tire (somehow wavered into Modified...???), had a claimed 700+ horsepower, a thoroughly prepped to the limit of the rules car, and a talented "hired gun" driver. All of which is allowed so congrats to them for their victory! Coming close to the Modified win in my heavy Street tire class prepped car still makes us feel great and we know that wins in Modified will be had when we take the next steps allowed in Modified once we are out of the Street tire class. Also, the top 5 cars in Modified were just over 1 second apart which shows how tight this class has become (Street and Unlimited were won by about 4 seconds). We are already one of the fastest Modified class cars and we have a lot of improvements allowed that we haven't taken advantage of, yet......

Gary Sheehan in the GST Subaru won the Unlimited class with a blistering lap about 4 seconds ahead of the competition (Tyler McQarrie/C-west S2K, Tanner Foust/Crawford STI, Billie Johnson/M-works Z, etc). Also, props to my team mate Stephen "Tipper" Ruiz for his 3rd place in Street tire awd.

Well, another successful weekend thanks to the Harmanmotive crew and all of our supporters:

Harmanmotive
Yokohama Tires
Cosworth engines
Stoptech brakes
ACT clutch
Enkei wheels
COBB
AEM
Motul oils
Kognition designs
Deatshworks injectors
Garrett Turbos
Whiteline
Cusco
Hose Tech
Subaru

And an especially big thank you to Nik, Chris, and the entire Redline crew!

JC Meynet #15
Harmanmotive STI
Harman Motive Shop

Pics to come soon.
1st & 1st St & Mod @ Superlap, 1st UMS Time Attack, Firebird 5-24-08
1st new TTU record @ Buttonwillow, NASA 4-27-08
1st St awd , 1st St overall, 2nd mod awd RLTA, Buttonwillow 3-30-08

2007: 4-1sts, 3-2nds, 2-3rds

*No DNS/DNQ/DNF, Fastest STI in 22 of 23 races!*12 track records*
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
congrats...sounds like you have a good thing going for you.

keep it up.

-freddie
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I'm going to bump this. Not enough credit is being awarded here.

You guys continue to kick *** every event. You keep going faster every race. Finally after meeting all of you and having dinner and a chance to chat it up a bit, a damn cool bunch of guys as well. I look forward to seeing you guys at the next outing.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks Jeff!

I have to say that my only real dissapointmt all weekend was dinner with the GST crew. I had hoped for the reported drunken brawling, waitress assaulting, food fights, and general mischief....

Unfortunately, you guys were polite, well mannered, and professional. What a huge dissapointment from the rumors.........

Congrats again for your incredible victory!

JC Meynet
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Next time brother, next time...
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by mxpop
I have to say that my only real dissapointmt all weekend was dinner with the GST crew. I had hoped for the reported drunken brawling, waitress assaulting, food fights, and general mischief....

Unfortunately, you guys were polite, well mannered, and professional. What a huge dissapointment from the rumors.........
Hey JC,

That was because I was not there! I stayed with a good friend of mine on Saturday so we took off before dinner because he had plans setup for us. Next time me and you will get good and drunk

-Greg
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh and once again, CONGRATS!

-Greg
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by mxpop
Thanks Jeff!

Congrats again for your incredible victory!

JC Meynet

Definitely sounds like something that Greg would do.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Car Info: WRB "Ricer Edition"
Stephen "Tipper" Ruiz was damn near ready for some 'waitress assaulting'.

Congrats again on the win JC
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by EJ257
Stephen "Tipper" Ruiz was damn near ready for some 'waitress assaulting'.

Congrats again on the win JC
I was actually hitting on the waitress. lol

-freddie
Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1WRX2NV
I was actually hitting on the waitress. lol

-freddie
Yea we all know that Freddie, problem is the waitress was male....

Congrats JC.

Mike
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM

^^ Give him a break, it was a "she-male"........

Thanks Mike, right back at ya!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM

JC/Harmanmotive "nose-cam" video.

1:50 (street tire track record)
160+mph on banking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FkRJjyRjd4
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Cool. Got a question... what are the rules for street tire classes? Minimum treadwear rating of 140?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 PM

check here:

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-2.html

and also look at the street class specific section.

Hope to see you out there!

JCM

Quick Reply: JC Meynet/Harmanmotive continue win streak!