H.o.d.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 08 AW WRX STi
H.o.d.

Has anybody run with Hooked on Driving? Please share your experience whether you are a first-timer or expert.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Car Info: '06 STI
I've run with them a few times and they have all been good fun events. You get a mixed crowd and never had any negative incidents. Instructors are always on hand for those looking to improve and I would definitely recommend them. I also run with CFRA, Green Flag and NCRC.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks, I was wondering how they treated first timers. There is a video running around from HOD at Thinderhill with a real rude instructor.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...772863eDyzH94y
Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM

That's a pretty strange video.

I'm a coach with HOD and the whole conversation almost sounds staged. The driver wasn't that far off the line, other than apexing turn one on entry, I didn't see much poor driving behavior. And frankly how smooth they shift coming out of the hot pit isn't a big deal.

I'm also curious what run group they were in. Obviously, from the angle of the sun, that was the first session of the day and in the A Group coaches drive first for two laps then switch with the car owner for the rest of the session. Group B will usually have a coach on request for the first session and they don't switch.

I was coaching that day and did not hear of any issues. We coaches do chat amongst ourselves throughout the day about how our students are doing and, again, I never heard anything like that going on.

Please don't judge the program from one subjective video. We try very hard to put on a first class event with good coaches. I guess occaisionally there may be a coach that doesn't meet our high standards so then we need to know about it. If this driver was offended by that experience I certainly hope he brought it to someones attention.

We have an event this Thursday at Infineon then Thunderhill on Friday, March 12 and Laguna Seca Mazda Speedway on Monday, March 15.

BTW HOD coaches are volunteers. We do this because we like to share our love of driving. Plus we get to hang out at the track all day with like-minded folks and look at and ride in some really cool cars...for free!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by jpdriver
That's a pretty strange video.

I'm a coach with HOD and the whole conversation almost sounds staged. The driver wasn't that far off the line, other than apexing turn one on entry, I didn't see much poor driving behavior. And frankly how smooth they shift coming out of the hot pit isn't a big deal.

I'm also curious what run group they were in. Obviously, from the angle of the sun, that was the first session of the day and in the A Group coaches drive first for two laps then switch with the car owner for the rest of the session. Group B will usually have a coach on request for the first session and they don't switch.

I was coaching that day and did not hear of any issues. We coaches do chat amongst ourselves throughout the day about how our students are doing and, again, I never heard anything like that going on.

Please don't judge the program from one subjective video. We try very hard to put on a first class event with good coaches. I guess occaisionally there may be a coach that doesn't meet our high standards so then we need to know about it. If this driver was offended by that experience I certainly hope he brought it to someones attention.

We have an event this Thursday at Infineon then Thunderhill on Friday, March 12 and Laguna Seca Mazda Speedway on Monday, March 15.

BTW HOD coaches are volunteers. We do this because we like to share our love of driving. Plus we get to hang out at the track all day with like-minded folks and look at and ride in some really cool cars...for free!!
Thanks for the input. I am off work this Thursday, Maybe I will come out and and look around. I would like to look you up, what kind of car should I look for?

Joe
Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM

I have a Java Black '04 STi. Unfortunately it's getting new 4th and 5th gear synchros this week so I won't be able to give demo rides until the 12th at T'hill. You can still catch a ride with one of the other coaches this week, just sign the waver and look for a loaner helmet unless you have your own. If anyone asks about your status just tell them you are very interested in HOD and it won't be a problem.

I'll be around if you want to chat. My name is Jon, I'm 6' 4" and will have my nametag on. I'll either be driving a green Mazda Tribute or a dark blue '91Mazda RX7 convertible, just not on the track.

The weather will take a break so come on out Joe, it's always a good time.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM

In response to the above video (BTW that instructor is no longer with HOD =) here's an excellent example of what HOD is really about. This is at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with one of our most experienced coaches who is also an accomplished racer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YErqpGX6s

Enjoy!