Aftermarket RIMs : Class Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 04:59 AM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
I've been changing my wheels for 3 years on my wagon... no problems.

You'd run in STX, SM, or ESP.

STX is street tire only whereas SM and ESP are allowd DOT Race compound (as does stock.. on the stock sized rims). In the beginning tho, even in higher clases, the whole idea of auto-x is to compete for the fun of it, as long as you're legal for the class.

Some regions allow some new guys to get away with minor things for a little while and then when you start showing up more often, they expect that you start playing by the rules. Nothing wrong with that.

--kC
Old 10-27-2003, 11:34 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
for 17" wheels with 215 tires you should still be able to run in d-stock since it is a factory option to have 17"rims. and i have seen people run in d-stock with 17s
Old 10-27-2003, 11:57 AM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Originally posted by wrx ish
for 17" wheels with 215 tires you should still be able to run in d-stock since it is a factory option to have 17"rims. and i have seen people run in d-stock with 17s
'Shoud' That's you're opinion, and I wholly agree wiht allowing 17s to run in Stock.

However, the 'rules' for SCCA state that you cannot. Dealer installed items are not legal to run in any stock class. Until someone can prove that 17s are Port-Installed, then it's an uphill battle with those that do make the rules.

Sure, you've seen people run locally with 17s. 1) They don't know better. 2) Their competitiors don't know better. 3) Their competitors don't care/are cool with it or 4) they're not at national events (which is really where the rules come into play).

This has been a battle since 2001 when the WRX hit the shores with the available BBS rims. Year 3, same arguement, same response.

However, just like the 17s in DS on the WRX, I had to let an STi owner know that removing the gaudy wing techincally isn't legal either (if he was going to do national events, or if someone else in AS wished to complain)

So it's not just picking on WRXs with the rules. Every car has certain things that 'would be cool to have' but when it comes down to it, rules is rules (again... on a nationial level... or if your competitors want to say something).

--kC
Old 10-29-2003, 08:58 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
yeah thats what pisses me off, local regions don't follow the rules, cause then you never know what you can and cannot have

i have noticed how different the regions are and they all do things differently and classify things differently, i wish they would all just be uniform, that would make things a lot less confusing when it comes to nationals and stuff

having done stuff with the san francisco region, arizona region, and las vegas region, they are all different.