Rife Plazapalooza Hollywood, Pron Valley and now Rife Plaza... SoCal's best...

You know you're from L.A. ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
You know you're from L.A. ...

(Hope this is not a repost - SIA if it is - enjoy)
You know you belong in this group if the follow things apply to you when you go home:

You have a 4-person family, but you own at least 6 cars

You're driving on the 101 and see a clear cut definition of where the smog begins and ends

You understand why some people call the 101 a parking Lot

You're sitting in traffic for at least an hour at any given part of the day

You go to the beach and see that real lifeguards actually do look like the lifeguards from Baywatch

You see purple and gold and the word "Threepeat" on every corner

You begin to "lie" to your friends about where you are (i.e. "Yeah I'm like 20 minutes away") - when you know that it'll take you at least an hour to get there).

You eat a different ethnic food for every meal

You make a conscious choice to watch Jay Leno over David Letterman

You mourned for Tupac and not for Biggie

You know it's best not to be on the 405 at 4:05 pm.

Getting anywhere from point A to point B, no matter what the distance, takes about "twenty minutes".

You know what neighborhood someone lives in by the degree of damage incurred during the riots.

In school, you did Earthquake Drills

You've inadvertently learned Spanish.

You've got to bring the cat/plants in when it drops to 55 degrees.

In the "winter", you can go to the beach and ski at Big Bear on the same day.

You've bumped into a celebrity at El Pollo Loco.

You know what "sigalert", "PCH", and "the five" mean.

If your destination is more than 5 minutes away on foot, you're definitely driving.

You have a gym membership because it's mandatory.

Your TV show is interrupted by a police chase.

You can't fall asleep without the lull of a helicopter flying overhead.

When tourists ask where they can get souvenirs, you direct them to Venice Beach.

You've trespassed through private property to get to the "Hollywood" sign.

You've partied in Tijuana at least once.

You know Hollywood has a "lake".

You don't stop at a STOP sign, you do a California Roll.

You've lost your car in the Century City Shopping Center parking lot.

You've ever bought oranges, flowers, cherries or peanuts on a freeway off-ramp.

You think that Venice is a beach.

You drive next to a Rolls Royce and don't notice.

You've started crossing a street and returned to the curb when the DON'T WALK sign started flashing.

Calling your neighbors requires knowing their area code.

You have a favorite Thai restaurant.

You think Johnny Rocket's is an accurate depiction of a diner.

You think Manhattan is a beach.

You've been to Disneyland more times than Downtown.

When giving directions , you follow up with the phrase: "With/Without traffic."

You classify new people you meet by their Area Code. An "818" would never date a "562" and anyone from "323" or "213" is ghetto/second class. Best area code: "310."

Driving along, you see a high-speed police chase approaching in your rear view mirror. You don't panic or even flinch. Instead, you call your friends on your car phone and tell them you're on TV.

You know that if you drive two miles in any direction you will find a McDonald's or a Starbucks.

Your cell phone has left a permanant impression on the side of your head.

You never, ever go into the water at the Beach. You barely touch the sand.

Everyone you know has 3+ phone numbers. Home, Office, mobile, pager, two-way, voicemail.....

It is not unusual for your waitress at a restaurant to have blue streaked hair, a dragon tattoo and tounge piercing.

You are awakened in the middle of the night by a moderate earthquake. Your reply: "That ain't even a 5-pointer" and go back to sleep.

You think you are better than the people who live "Over the Hill". It don't matter which side of the hill you are currently residing, you are just better than them, for whatever reason.

You live 10 miles from work. It takes you 60 minutes to get home.

Walking out of Jamba Juice, you see that a movie is being shot on-location across the street.
You are not happy, or even slightly exited that there may be a movie star there. You just say, " They f*ckin better not be blocking my parking space."

You have to yell at your bank teller through a 2 inch thick wall of plexi-glass.

That last one goes for your local convenience store man, too.

You go to Las Vegas for a weekend getaway and the whole trip cost you $50.

You personally know at least 5 people with agents.

You personally know at least 3 people who have been in a movie or TV show.

You know what In-N-Out is and feel bad for all the other states because they don't have any.

You know who the tinsel underwear dude in Venice Beach is.

You've gotten parking tickets from parking in the red zone in front of your house.

You say you live in LA when really you live in a subsection of a subsection of a subsection of southern LA.

The guy at 8:30 in the morning at Starbucks wearing the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney IS George Clooney.

You really can never be too rich or too thin.

The gym is packed at 3pm...on a workday.

The workday starts at 10am...or whenever you get out of your therapy session.

Any invitation comes with, "Starts at 8pm or as soon as you can get through traffic."

You have never met a waiter that wasn't really an "Actor."

It's sprinkling and there's a report on every news station about "STORM WATCH '99"

You call 911 and they put you on hold.

The three hour traffic jam you just sat through wasn't caused by a horrific 9 car pile-up, but by everyone slowing to rubberneck at a lost shoe lying on the shoulder.

A nurse can look at you in all seriousness and ask, "you don?t drink or smoke, right?"

All the "cool gyms" allow pedestrians on the street a full-view of those working out. Literally, you can?t drive by Wilshire without staring into L.A. Fitness. Perhaps a new form of window shopping?

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Los Angeles.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

My personal fave, especially since it's so VERY true:
Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
Lol
Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
alot is true

some is dumb

but yeah
Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by herrjr
My personal fave, especially since it's so VERY true:
and its called the ghetto bird n00b haha
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sigma pi
and its called the ghetto bird n00b haha
It ain't ghetto if you live in Santa Monica, lol.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: FORD PINTO
Originally Posted by herrjr
It ain't ghetto if you live in Santa Monica, lol.
that's cause sigma pi is from the ghetto
Old 02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by c279a
that's cause sigma pi is from the ghetto

actually mike lives in Bellflower

If you look at the demographics

Bellflower is about 12.8% of families and 15.8% of the population were below the poverty line while Ontario has 15.5% of the population and 12.2% of families were below the poverty line.

Granted that Ontario has a total population of 158,007 as of 2000 while Bellflower has a total population of 72,878 which is less than half.

In my opinion people are more poor in Ontario than in Bellflower

The median income in Ontario for a household in the city was $42,452, and the median income for a family was $44,031.

The median income in Bellflower for a household in the city was $39,362, and the median income for a family was $42,822.

Pretty close numbers but the fact that Ontario has the higher population by double, which mean more low income environments which is the term ghetto

Let me know if you guys want me to evaluate the crime levels or ethnic grouping?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
actually mike lives in Bellflower

If you look at the demographics

Bellflower is about 12.8% of families and 15.8% of the population were below the poverty line while Ontario has 15.5% of the population and 12.2% of families were below the poverty line.

Granted that Ontario has a total population of 158,007 as of 2000 while Bellflower has a total population of 72,878 which is less than half.

In my opinion people are more poor in Ontario than in Bellflower

The median income in Ontario for a household in the city was $42,452, and the median income for a family was $44,031.

The median income in Bellflower for a household in the city was $39,362, and the median income for a family was $42,822.

Pretty close numbers but the fact that Ontario has the higher population by double, which mean more low income environments which is the term ghetto

Let me know if you guys want me to evaluate the crime levels or ethnic grouping?
well if you took time to do this, then continue
Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Sure there real break down is where you judge the caliber of the crimes that are being done in each town.

Ruben, lets first identify the word you are saying Mike lives in.

Ghetto
a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.

The racial makeup of Bellflower was 46.09% White, 13.09% Black or African American, 0.92% Native American, 9.69% Asian, 0.70% Pacific Islander, 24.38% from other races, and 5.13% from two or more races. 43.23% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

The racial makeup of Ontario was 47.83% White, 7.51% African American, 1.06% Native American, 3.88% Asian, 0.37% Pacific Islander, 34.05% from other races and 5.30% were from two or more races. 59.88% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Now to the crime levels. I mean its, not Oakland but lets weigh out the good and the bad crimes (even though all crimes are bad)

Actual Reported Population and Crimes in 2005:
Ontario, CA Bellflower, CA
Population: 171,186 75,462
Murder: 12 9
Forcible Rape: 56 14
Robbery: 294 247
Aggravated Assault: 504 267
Burglary: 991 477
Larceny Theft: 3714 1170
Vehicle Theft: 2039 853

Given these valid statistics, Where you live actually is more ghetto than where Mike lives.

The ethnic backgrounds are almost equal, however your crime rate is way higher than Mike's town. Especially with the Forcible Rape which in many eyes is viewed as the most despicable crime.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Sure there real break down is where you judge the caliber of the crimes that are being done in each town.

Ruben, lets first identify the word you are saying Mike lives in.

Ghetto
a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.

The racial makeup of Bellflower was 46.09% White, 13.09% Black or African American, 0.92% Native American, 9.69% Asian, 0.70% Pacific Islander, 24.38% from other races, and 5.13% from two or more races. 43.23% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

The racial makeup of Ontario was 47.83% White, 7.51% African American, 1.06% Native American, 3.88% Asian, 0.37% Pacific Islander, 34.05% from other races and 5.30% were from two or more races. 59.88% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Now to the crime levels. I mean its, not Oakland but lets weigh out the good and the bad crimes (even though all crimes are bad)

Actual Reported Population and Crimes in 2005:
Ontario, CA Bellflower, CA
Population: 171,186 75,462
Murder: 12 9
Forcible Rape: 56 14
Robbery: 294 247
Aggravated Assault: 504 267
Burglary: 991 477
Larceny Theft: 3714 1170
Vehicle Theft: 2039 853

Given these valid statistics, Where you live actually is more ghetto than where Mike lives.

The ethnic backgrounds are almost equal, however your crime rate is way higher than Mike's town. Especially with the Forcible Rape which in many eyes is viewed as the most despicable crime.

if rape is so high up in ontario, then why don't I hear about it? as for vehicle theft that's easy, ontario mills is known for car thefts. all I see is a cop car cruise by every once in a while checking out the neighbourhood. I live in the south side of Ontario where it doesn't look like a ghetto place, that's the north side. Where there's always cops all over the place. and so far it looks like I won't be living in ontario much longer, my parents are going house hunting next month.

Last edited by c279a; 02-12-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by c279a
if rape is so high up in ontario, then why don't I hear about it? as for vehicle theft that's easy, ontario mills is known for car thefts. all I see is a cop car cruise by every once in a while checking out the neighbourhood. I live in the south side of Ontario where it doesn't look like a ghetto place, that's the north side. Where there's always cops all over the place. and so far it looks like I won't be living in ontario much longer, my parents are going house hunting next month.

I don't think you understand what I am saying.

Ontario is ghetto. So why call Mikes town ghetto where in many cases your town is by far worse.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Let's talk about gerrymandering.

North side of a town and south side of a town is still the same town. Unless north side of the town is recognize as north town and south side of the town is recognize as south town, then they're both independent of each other. You live on the south side of the town.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
LOL
cant believe what im reading, i swear if i didnt know better i would have thought it was a joke
Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BLITZSTI
LOL
cant believe what im reading, i swear if i didnt know better i would have thought it was a joke
I know! But I love this stuff. At least people here discuss using facts. People in the Bay Area talk out of their *** about everything; e.g. https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/wow-they-harsh-156661/

Quick Reply: You know you're from L.A. ...