Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

September's Photography Assignments: "Labor" and "Copy Cat"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
September's Photography Assignments: "Labor" and "Copy Cat"

Please be sure to read the rules before posting your contributions! Muchos gracias folks.

Theme #1: "Labor"
Well, jobs are scarce in the current economy, but Labor Day is coming up on us! "The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5,1882 in New York City. In the aftermath of the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the US military and US Marshals during the 1894 Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland put reconciliation with Labor as a top political priority." Ideas for shots? Anything work related, whether its your job or someone else's.

Theme #2: "Copy Cat"
So I've been thinking about this theme for a while. Pick one of your favorite photographs of another photographer (famous or not) and try to recreate, in your own shot, the aspects that make the original a great photograph. If you can, please provide a link to the original photograph, or at least the name of the image and the photographer.

Rules:
  • Photo must be taken within the given month. This is because the purpose of the assignments is to get people out and about taking new pictures, not digging through previous shots.
  • Photo must be your own work
  • Please only submit ONE photo per assignment
  • If possible please post all the photo info such as lens, f/ stop, shutter speed, etc.
  • All photos are open to C&C unless otherwise noted by poster

Ending Date: September 30th

This isn't a competition, just a themed assignment for those who wish to participate. The only reason there is a due date is to keep the thread from going on and on. Feel free to PM me with options for other themes.

Constructive Criticism
The point of limiting criticism to Constructive Criticism to to keep people from just going "wow, your photo sucks" without offering a means for improvement. You could go "The composition just isn't doing it for me, maybe try moving the subjects face to the left a few inches." It would also nice and helps people receive CC better if you balance a negative with a positive such as "Well the lighting is nice, but the composition just isn't doing it for me, maybe try moving the subjects face to the left a few inches." or "I like the composition overall, but the busy background distracts me from the subject's face.'

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-02-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Car Info: 07 STi
Awesome themes, thanks Matty!
I am particularly interested in #2
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Hmmmmmmm....those pictures of Mrs Paul giving birth gotta be around here somewhere...
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
One time I had labor pains after eating a fat burrito.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Here's the link to the Gallery page of a photographer whose work I really admire.

http://www.donjackson.com/Gallery.html

I tried to copy his "River of Gold" shot once before (3rd shot down on left) ... if I can find the right lighting I've give it another go after I pick up my camera this w/e.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Here's the link to the Gallery page of a photographer whose work I really admire.

http://www.donjackson.com/Gallery.html

I tried to copy his "River of Gold" shot once before (3rd shot down on left) ... if I can find the right lighting I've give it another go after I pick up my camera this w/e.
Thats a cool shot! I can tell that you'd need pretty specific conditions to pull that off. I'm thinking of two shots by Ansel Adams that I like. Otherwise I may browse Flickr and see what grabs my attention.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Thats a cool shot! I can tell that you'd need pretty specific conditions to pull that off. I'm thinking of two shots by Ansel Adams that I like. Otherwise I may browse Flickr and see what grabs my attention.
Definitely special conditions! I know exactly where he took the shot, what time of year and under what light conditions ... a rest area on Hwy 95 in Southern Utah in the Fall with the late afternoon sunlight on the Aspen reflected in the stream.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Definitely special conditions! I know exactly where he took the shot, what time of year and under what light conditions ... a rest area on Hwy 95 in Southern Utah in the Fall with the late afternoon sunlight on the Aspen reflected in the stream.
Are you trying to recreate at that exact spot? Or here in California? If you're going all the way out to Utah, thats what I call dedication

I think I'll be able to do both of my shots for this month down in Salinas. The ideas are in my head, I just need to get them in the camera!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Are you trying to recreate at that exact spot? Or here in California? If you're going all the way out to Utah, thats what I call dedication

I think I'll be able to do both of my shots for this month down in Salinas. The ideas are in my head, I just need to get them in the camera!
I'd love to recreate at the exact location ... and I'm supposed to be in Southern Utah in early October ... but no, for this assignment I will look for somewhere closer to home!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

I suppose the others have been as disgustingly unmotivated to do photography these past few weeks as I have?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM

I suppose the others have been as disgustingly unmotivated to do photography these past few weeks as I have?
Not really unmotivated ... more a case of free time ... rather focused on healing a back injury. I got as far as picking up my repaired SLR, but have yet to put the lens back on or pop a roll of film in it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
+1 on the lack of time and unmotivated. Been too busy managing my daughter's soccer season. Now you start talking sports pics and I'm there!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

**** this has been a rough month! Looks like I have 3 days after the weekend (which is pretty much my work week) to get the shots I want!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Only one day left for all you late stragglers!

I'm headed down to Salinas tomorrow to work on mine.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

woohoo! one submission for this month!

"Labor"

Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
Exposure: 1/250
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 280 mm
Exposure: 0.00
ISO Speed: 200

Quick Reply: September's Photography Assignments: "Labor" and "Copy Cat"