Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

PS... Subaru chop

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM

Car Info: MY99 2.5RS 2 door
PS... Subaru chop

Okay. This is me going out on a limb. This is a Subaru concept of my own design... If you like it, fantastic, if you don't... be nice please, constructive criticism only. This is still a WIP, still needs stuff like door handles, body panel lines, lug nuts (lol) and other stuff. Yes I know the reflections are too bright... I also know it's too low and doesn't look like a Subaru.

On another forum I frequent, a member said he would love to see Subaru unleash a Mid-engine, AWD Lotus-killer.

It made perfect sense: a relatively inexpensive car to compete with the likes of the Elise wouldn't undermine Subaru's everyday appeal to normal people. Likewise the current economic crunch and gas price fiasco would send the mid-life crisis demographic searching for something fast that sips gas (in comparison to say, a V8 wielding Corvette) and has legendary Japanese reliability. It would also appeal to Subaru owners and even Mitsu owners looking to move upmarket to something less boyish and more... mid-engined. The kicker is that it would loosen Lotus' stranglehold on the MR, lightweight funcart segment. The only competition I can think of in that area is... um... the MR2 I guess, and that's long dead (though I may be overlooking something).

Since then the concept of such a car has been in the back of my head, but I could never make a design that made sense. During finals week my efforts to pen one came to fruition (lol finals).

Here's the original sketch, wheels enhanced in PS:

SO... here's the original, for perspective only:

The work in progress, (still work to do on reflections, lighting, etc.)

Click Hi Res:

And the rear view sketch I made:

As you can see there's a few design matters I myself am blurry on. Input welcome:

Classic Subaru frameless doors v. Ford GT-style clamshells, for ease of entry
Baller-status front cowl (think Viper) v. a more conventional boot
Louvers v. sloping rear windscreen, showing engine v. straight up-and-down glass
I think the diffuser I penned in this last pic is too much like the F430 Scud
A Pillar mirrors ftw
Where to put reverse lights
I lub lub lub the RCIIIs I put on it in the chop, but BBS has a wider demographic among car enthusiasts, and a history with Subaru
Bride v. Sparco v. Recaro seats, same reasons as wheels...
Where to put the third break light

Hope I don't need the flamesuit.