Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

DSLR/Camera/Lens questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
DSLR/Camera/Lens questions

Can any of you photographers explain the differences between the options of lenses? For example I have no idea what it means when you hear "35mm lens" vs. "55mm lens" other than obviously the number. A break down of that would be very appreciated. Also I am looking to get a DSLR eventually and I really don't want anything high end as I do not plan on becoming a photographer, I just want something nice to shoot photos with when I go places or do things.

I have been looking at the Nikon D40 as many reviews suggest that it's a good option for someone looking to be up a level or two on a higher end point and shoot.
I was looking at different high end point and shoots like the Kodak something or other (looks like a DSLR but doesn't have a removable lens) Also a Fuji like that. But I kind of like the idea of having lens options for messing around with stuff.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! I know we have plenty of talented photographers on this board (look at the mount hammy meet picture threads if you don't believe me )

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

oops! didn't realize there was a photography section.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
35mm is the focal length. the bigger the number, the bigger the zoom.

if a lens only has one number (35mm lens), you have to physically move yourself to zoom in or out. Zoom lenses have 2 numbers. 18-200 means at 18mm, it's max zoomed out, 200mm is the biggest zoom you can get with that lens.

If you will be sticking with auto mode on the camera dial, this is all you will need to know. When you are ready to take advantage of having a DSLR instead of a point and shoot, try to research more about aperture.

There should be a second batch of numbers after the focal length, which is called aperture. This is dictates how much light the lens can let in, and how blurry the background is behind your focus point.

If the lens is a 18-200 3.5-5.6, that means when it's fully zoomed out at 18mm, the widest aperture you can get is 3.5. When it's zoomed in, the widest you can go is 5.6. This is important when you are in low light situations, and can't or don't want to use a flash.

Nikon D40 is a good camera from what I hear. I don't know much about nikon lenses, but I hear the 18-200 VR is good if you have the cash.

Last edited by LGT Mark; 10-14-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Thank you so much. That makes so much sense.

I would probably take a class at my local junior college on beginning photography though just so I can learn more about what I have in my hands.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

there's also diff kind of lenses.

for example, the lens that comes with most DSLRs are a zoom lens. it has 2 values. so it allows you from one value to the other.

another kind is a PRIME lens. usually, this is a single value only. for example, a portrait photographer doesnt need a zoom lens when taking portrait pixs.

also, SLR means single lens reflex. it means that what you see in your view finder is what the camera sees.

before i got my canon DSLR, i had nikon point and shoot. i went to this concert event and some of the pixs i took, i saw different from what the camera saw and the pixs became useless (from being out of focus to cropping issues).

so just because a camera is SLR, it doesnt mean exchangable lenses... but these days, they are rare.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Wow good info. I am excited to finally have a nice camera. But it probably won't be till January. I am mainly getting it for backpacking so I will want the ability for zooming and a probably fixed focal lens.

What's really odd is, if you guys remember when people posted links to get free subscriptions to magazines.. well i did that and i got car n driver+a photography magazine. Didn't submit for the photo mag but i was sitting there the other day thinking i really wanna get a nice camera, then i checked the mail and the photography mag was in there. haha. weird. dumb story but odd none the less.