Gauging interest. Fun Run 30 Sept. or 1 Oct.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 AM

Car Info: 99 RS-T
Gauging interest. Fun Run 1 Oct.

Alright, since the weekends of 23/24 Sept and 7/8 Oct. are packed full of things going on, I'll start something for the weekend of 30 Sept./1 Oct.

Here's what I'm thinking. Forest Road 25 in Gifford Pinchoff National Forest. Starting in Randle, Washington(Hwy 12) and ending in Woodland, Washington(Exit 21, I-5).

The nice thing about this would be that it's about the same distance for both the people in Seattle and Portland. A great chance for all of us to intermingle.

Here's what you'd get:

A great road through one of the pretties parts of Washington.
A stop at the Mt. St. Helens crater overlook.
If you want, a stop at the lava tubes and/or a stop at the "Ape Caves".
Stop at a Burger Joint in Woodland at the end.

I will go drive it on Friday the 22nd of Sept. to see if the road is in as great of shape as it's been in the past. I will post a road report that evening. Also, I'll have info. for anyone at the BBQ on the 24th @ Solar Reflections.

Please post, if your interested, so I know as to whether I should try to make this happen.

Hope to see you there. Resbum

Last edited by Resbum; 09-22-2006 at 06:36 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM

Mt St Helens Fun Run Oct. 1st

Here's what I have so far:
I made the trip on Thursday; Left Tacoma at 1030AM and was home at 600PM. This included a 1/2 hour at St Helens overlook, 1/2 hour at "Ape Cave" and 1/2 hour at Burgerville. I drove within 5mph of the speed limit to Randle and from Cougar to I-5 and I-5 to home. "Spirited" driving the rest of the time. Not "Stupid", there is a difference!

Road report:
The first ten miles had some bumps and two patches of gravel about 40 feet long each. After about twelve miles the road got much better. The occasional bumps were well marked so I was only caught off gaurd a couple of times. That's not bad over the distance of 40 miles, 72 miles if you count the St Helens detour. The roads up to the St. Helens overlook and Ape Cave were GREAT.

I will be at the Market Place parking lot, across the street from Pacific Import Auto, ready to leave at 940AM. That way I can be to Randle an hour early. Anyone that wants to come(or gets up that early ) can meet me. Everyone else can meet up with the guys from Pacific Import Auto at 1030. Leaving at 1040AM. If you choose to caravan to Randle. Otherwise be to Randle at Noon, ready to pull out.

To get to PIA:
Take I-5 or the Valley Freeway to 512; Pacific Ave is the second Exit from I-5. Go South to 133th St. S.. Market place is on the left(meet there), Pacific Import Auto is on the right.

Note: when you get off of 512, if you go two blocks north, there is a Cenex station that sells 94 octane for the same price as other stations premium.

From Market Place take Hwy 7(Pacific Ave south) to Morton; turn east on Hwy 12 to Randle. This is the shortest and most fun route. Or you can take I-5 to Exit 68(Hwy 12); go east to Randle. This route is longer but you drive at freeway speeds so time is about the same.

At Randle turn right where the BIG green DOT sign says MT St Helens. Immediately on the left is a big area where people can rally. If you get there early there's a diner across the street.

We will be pulling out at noon. Once you leave Randle go approximately 1 1/2 miles. DOT sign for MtSt Helens at a "Y", take the right hand fork. From there you just follow the Mt St Helens and Cougar signs the rest of the way. It's that simple.

I'm planning to stop at the Windy Ridge St Helens overlook. Bring a Jacket. When I was there it was living up to it's name. This side detour is 16miles each way and was an absolute blast to drive.

From there, continue south through Cougar to the "Ape Cave". Unfortunately, they have now made this a "Fee Area". It's $5.00 to park, but well worth every penny, Bring plenty of light.

After that it's on to Woodland, where we'll stop at Burgerville. I spoke with the manager and he said he'll give 10% off of everybodies orders. Burgerville is setup in kinda retro 50's decor and there's a mess load of parking.

They serve; Burgers(meat and veggie), Halibut, chicken, salads and a wide selection of drinks. There should be something for everyone and the prices were quite reasonable.

I have some pictures and will post them soon.

Things to bring:
Fill up your tank, I did it on 3/4 tank. Gas gets pricey once you leave Seattle/Tacoma and Portland.
A jacket that blokes wind.
$5.00 and light if you plan to stop at "Ape Cave"
Old 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM

A couple pics.

These were taken on the road to the St. Helens overlook.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=34101

http://www.rs25.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=34102