Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

The Scarab Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 2017 Subaru Crosstrek
Red face The Scarab Project

Hey hey hey. Figured I'd start posting some of my progress on my '17 Crosstrek aka The Scarab.

I recently sold my NA miata after about 8 years of tinkering on it. The time came to change paths a bit so I try to use what I've learned building up the miata over the years, to serve as a foundation for my goals with The Scarab.

Ultimately I want a nimble little ride that's able to comfortably transport me, friends or family, and various gear. My first goal was to get the "bulk" out of the way. Pile up a nice little parts pile to install. Me being OCD and almost "ritualistic" with how I approach projects, I wanted to make sure I had a majority of the stuff to install before truly "embracing" this new-found Subie Culture.

With some of the profits I made from selling my miata bits, I was able to put together a comfy parts bin for my first major wrench session on The Scarab.

Starter parts list for my build:
  • Method 502s (original ikr?) X5
  • Yokohama Geolandar G015s 215/75/15 X5
  • Chrome McGuard Spline Lug Nuts and Lock
  • Gorilla Off Road Mud Guards
  • f/r King Springs from Primitive
  • Anderson Design and Fabrication f: 1.5", r: 1 7/8" lift kit
  • Yellow Headlight Armor for the fogs
  • Curt Trailer hitch for towing pleasures
  • Rhino Rack Vortex Crossbars
  • No-brand cargo basket (coated in rattle can truck bed liner)
  • Yakima Spare Tire Mount modified to work with no-brand basket
  • Spare tire cover off Amazon (around $15 with integrated bungee and clip)
  • Subtle Solutions Dead Pedal
Over the past few days I've been able to chip away at The Scarab and now am just waiting on an alignment. I'm eager to continue tinkering away at the car, such an amazing little slow beast.

More to come!
I aim to use the rattle can truck bed liner to possible black out the chrome accents on the fog bezels and grille however I'm not sure yet. If you noticed the parts list above, I have chrome lugs listed and after assembling everything, the lugs play really nicely with the few polished bits here and there, so still deciding direction on that.
I also have a Rhino Rack hybrid bike carrier on the way which I plan to mount next to the roof basket to transport my Aluminum Steed.

I'll be updating as I putter along and welcome any insight, ideas, conversation, or whatever. Happy wheeling!

Now who doesn't love some pictures...
Sittin pretty....
Dat Scarab ***
Upskirts...
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Managed to snag an alignment from AAA Tire Center in San Jose yesterday. Killer price and good service. The Scarab drives just so...mmm...now.
Alignment time.

^^^Quick flex on this fat stack of rocks.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
I dig it.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Nice. You have a twin up here in Sac.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 PM

Hey cheers! And that's awesome. We need to meet up and touch bumper tips or something...

I wanted to also highlight this Yakima spare mount that I fitted to my Chinesium basket. Of course not having a Yakima basket was once thing, but I also didn't much care for the little metal clamps that came with it. But either way, I had to brainstorm wtf I was going to do to figure a solution.

So like any true auto professional would do, I took a trip to Home Depot. I found some stainless u-bolts that would fit nicely around on of the support bars that run across the base of the basket. With some spare fuel hose I had lying around from one of my project shenanigans, I pushed that thick solid u-bolt through that tight smooth yet firm hole of that fuel line...and it created a great fit for the Yakima bracket. After drilling a couple holes of my own first, of course...
it turned out super solid and after putting on a few miles since everything has been put together, I'm confident and eager to go goober around on some dirt.

​​​
Old 12-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Got my Rhino Rack hybrid bike carrier mounted to my Vortex crossbars today. The basket and carrier together fit like a dream. Mounting the steed tomorrow for ****s n giggles. Merry Chrimbus, everyone