Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

RWD SR20/95' Impreza L

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Car Info: RWD SR20/Impreza
Originally Posted by c0rehax
i having to deal with the same bs of the bmagic lip.. right now my gc has two lips and im going to get rid of both.. looks good.. cant wait to see or hear it running!
Yeah I cut them both out. What size wheels do you plan on running?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM

*i want to apologize for the inconvenience, but from here on out i will be updating with (imageshack) which means the photos will be 640x480 thumbnails that will need to be clicked to view in bigger images. My photobucket account started acting funny on me...update #10 will hopefully be up late this week or early next week*
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 7 Series
Can't wait until it is a drifting machine!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Update #10:
This is where the car stands as of today (1/11/12)
Last night we got everything together and managed to get the FIRST START UP! The wiring worked flawlessly! We had some kinks such as a broken hose in the fuel pump, but it fired right up. The reason the video was cut short after start up is because there was a minor fuel problem that we are working on now. ENJOY!

Last edited by RiSky; 01-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Awesome, have you driven it yet?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kellie
Awesome, have you driven it yet?
I will not drive it until rebuild is done and rear end is put in. I'm very particular on how my car is put together and when it will be driven. I have no problem waiting until I feel its right.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM

All small thumbnails have been replaced with 640x480 pictures so the detail put into the car can be easily viewed. ENJOY
Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Car Info: Type 53
Enjoy I did, this is an amazing project!

Congratulations on the first start!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 AM

Update #11:
This is where the car stands as of today (1/15/12)
First off let me thank everyone for viewing the video. The video has reached 1,148 views which I'm pretty happy about. We also managed to find out why the motor wasn't getting oil to the head; the oil pan was dented in so the oil pick-up was blocked, so I replaced it with my tomei pan and now it works 110%. We managed to start on the rollcage as well which is coming out really well thanks to cricks custom fabrication (where my car has been the past few months). Some of you have replied/or PM'd me on the downpipe clearance so before we took it out to weld in the O2 bung I took some pictures for you.

Here is a view from directly over the wastegate & under the car:
Name:  EVPfv.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  XyDxU.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  32.1 KB

Downpipe out of the car/Weld-In O2:
Name:  FhW3X.jpg
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  CnYgZ.jpg
Size:  38.8 KB
Name:  LCN2u.jpg
Size:  22.2 KB
Name:  huux5.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB

New oil pan installed:
Name:  3VWY8.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

Beginning stage of roll cage:
Name:  1oJdG.jpg
Size:  50.7 KB
Name:  JsIUQ.jpg
Size:  50.1 KB
Name:  9C7Gj.jpg
Size:  27.5 KB
Name:  aH7Y7.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

That is it for now, but more pictures of the cage should be posted more next week as it gets more developed.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by RiSky

Just some constructive criticism. All the grey all over your weld is carbide pricipatation from too much heat/lack of purge. That thin wall stainless is pretty tricky to weld you really need to purge the inside or use a flux like solar flux B. if your having a problem over running your red hot puddle and getting grey welds you can switch to a large gas lens like a 12 cup if your using a wp17/18 style torch, or buy one of the large Pyrex cups with a gas lens for the wp9/20 style. And I hope your using 1/16th tungsten as well, anything bigger will take more heat to accomplish the same weld.

But I love this project man, I came from SE-R's so I love SR20’s!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SR20steve
Just some constructive criticism. All the grey all over your weld is carbide pricipatation from too much heat/lack of purge. That thin wall stainless is pretty tricky to weld you really need to purge the inside or use a flux like solar flux B. if your having a problem over running your red hot puddle and getting grey welds you can switch to a large gas lens like a 12 cup if your using a wp17/18 style torch, or buy one of the large Pyrex cups with a gas lens for the wp9/20 style. And I hope your using 1/16th tungsten as well, anything bigger will take more heat to accomplish the same weld.

But I love this project man, I came from SE-R's so I love SR20’s!
Thank you for your input. I'm always supportive of constructive criticism! I did not know that. Thank you for sharing. I'm also in love with the SR20 family haha. My first one was in a champagne S13 coupe.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by RiSky
Thank you for your input. I'm always supportive of constructive criticism! I did not know that. Thank you for sharing. I'm also in love with the SR20 family haha. My first one was in a champagne S13 coupe.
I've always wanted a RWD sr20 man. Would love to do a SR510. The SR20 was possibly the best engine ever made IMO. But the reason why it's soo important to control the heat input on stainless is as stainless is heated it's starts to lose its corrosion resistance properties. Also it took me along time to realize that sometimes reducing heat input does not mean turning down the amps it can also mean running hotter and quicker. Sometimes by welding very slow (like most beginning TIG welders until they get comfortable) you are actually putting more heat into the metal. Another good tip for stainless is get a spray bottle of distilled water and spray it on the weld after every weld and blow it off with compressed air. Don't try this with any old metal though, only stainless and don't use tap water because tap water has chlorine in it that can lead to chloride cracking. FWIW I'm a code welder by trade.

HAVE FUN!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by SR20steve
I've always wanted a RWD sr20 man. Would love to do a SR510. The SR20 was possibly the best engine ever made IMO. But the reason why it's soo important to control the heat input on stainless is as stainless is heated it's starts to lose its corrosion resistance properties. Also it took me along time to realize that sometimes reducing heat input does not mean turning down the amps it can also mean running hotter and quicker. Sometimes by welding very slow (like most beginning TIG welders until they get comfortable) you are actually putting more heat into the metal. Another good tip for stainless is get a spray bottle of distilled water and spray it on the weld after every weld and blow it off with compressed air. Don't try this with any old metal though, only stainless and don't use tap water because tap water has chlorine in it that can lead to chloride cracking. FWIW I'm a code welder by trade.

HAVE FUN!
Thanks a lot for the tips. I shared them with my fabricator and the only thing he did not know about was the distilled water trick. Learn something new everyday!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Update #12:
This is where the car stands as of today (1/20/12)
Hello Everyone! Well the cage is finally finished and I must say I'm extremely pleased with it. We tried doing something really unique with the door bars to go with the rest of the car, and I think we hit the nail on the head with this design. Also we managed to mock up the fitment for the front bumper. The bumper support is currently being made right now, but we are just about there. Here is how the cage came out.

Name:  0lg7a.jpg
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  dcMYa.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  wFbvx.jpg
Size:  36.0 KB
Name:  p27U4.jpg
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  NI8eP.jpg
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  1KWLF.jpg
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  NE9q7.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  uBOa2.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB
Name:  WI6bE.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

Will post pictures when front end is complete!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Update #13:
This is where the car stands as of today (3/31/12)
Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay of updates. I had to save some money up so I could start progressing quicker with the build. You all should be pleased to know that the updates will start flowing a little more smoothly now. Since the last update I painted the interior of the car and also ordered some parts through Garage Boso (who is tuning my car). Within the next few days we will be pulling the motor and installing the new parts then dropping it back in for tuning purposes. I also managed to pick up a R180 from a 05 STi that is currently being modded by Weir Performance and should be done this Monday coming up (4/2). Once my axles from the driveshaftshop come in my whole driveline will be complete. Here are the interior cage pictures. I will be uploading more pictures as parts come in and get installed. Note: I forgot to upload a picture of how we cut out my quarter panels after they were done so I included that as well. Thanks for looking!

Priming Stages:
Name:  vyqXK.jpg
Size:  55.9 KB
Name:  QH1SQ.jpg
Size:  38.4 KB
Name:  rEScd.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB

Painted:
Name:  3avv9.jpg