Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Pipe Dreams on Golden Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:15 AM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Pipe Dreams on Golden Wheels

So this is my 2003 WRX on a sunny day here in Carlsbad/La Costa California. It has almost 36k miles on it. I bought it on 9/11/2002. I had big dreams for this car when I first bought it but I quickly realized that those dreams are going to be expensive and many will be unforseable. I really want to get into autocrossing but I don't really even know where to start with that and don't have much time on my hands. If anyone has any advice, I will gladly read it.

Current mods:

Engine:
removed silencer (nice sound)
3/16 vacuum connector thingy (???)
Prodrive Muffler (sounds sweet, don't know about any gains though)

Suspension:
Whiteline RSB at 22mm (freakin awesome)
Whiteline RSB Heavy Duty Links (nice look, nice work)
Whiteline Heavy Duty RSB Mounts (PITA to install but should keep things from braking apart.)

Wheels and Tires:
Gold BBS STi wheels with 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 rubber. I don't care much for the gold but I got all four of them for 1100 and they do the job so I couldn't pass that up, besides, I sit inside the car so I don't really care.The tires are really sweet for 95 bucks a pop. They stick really well and break loose when I need them to break. They are not noisy at all nor do they tram-line. I am really happy with that setup-right now. They are pretty nice in the mud and sand too, a little too wide for 'froading though.I might spring for something else later, but I will need to fit the stocker with snow tires come snowboarding season.

Brakes:
Steel Brake linesand DOT 4 fluid. (put them on at about 4k miles and they made a huge difference in stopping.)
Carbotech slotted rotors and bobcat pads (this setup has really impressed me. I thought that the stock setup was just ridiculous for such a high-performance car. It is very nice now but I would like to have more pistons one day.)

Tranny:
Kartboy shifter bushings (best 30 bucks I have ever spent)
Cobb short throw shifter (it's the first one they ever put out and didn't change it all that much, pretty good though, Might upgrade to kartboy one day)

Electronics:
Blitz Turbo Timer (stupidest waste of money ever, I hardly ever use it, people ask about it though)
Defi Boost Gauge (thought I was leaking boost so I payed 150 bucks and burned my hands to find out that it wasn't leaking any. Works really well but at 52mm is a bit big and now I can't really see some of my tach, I will have to modify the pod slightly when I get time.)

Misc:
Momo shift ****. (Feels nice)
STi Carbon blinker covers (pretty stupid, but not as stupid as those orange side markers)
Sti Hoodscoop ( one of my favorites, really helps the car stand out a bit from all of the stockers.)
APS Splitter (probably works well)
Debadged (easy to wash and wax)
Got rid of DRL (ehh...)
Rewired the fog lights to work independantly of lights. (works awesome for 'froading and night time driving)
Removed: ABS in-line fuse switch. I pretty much developed this one myself with help of some stuff I read on these forums. The only part i developed is the part that plugs into the fuse box. I just used a regular fuse that I took apart and rewired to take wires. It was a pretty fun little mod but after I got my new tires I ABS stopped acting up on me and it's nice to have in dusty, dry socal conditions. Abs has saved me several times, especially in the snow. It is fun to turn it off in gravel and dirt though.

Future plans:
If I don't get an STi in the next couple of years, I would like to improve the suspension a little more with front bars, springs, shocks, ALK, tower bars, and bushes. I would probably want to get an up-pipe and downpipe one of these days and probably some tuning. I really want to keep my tranny healthy so nothing major. I am happy with the way the car is performance wise thus far. I do want to track it though just to have some fun. I also want to get the STi projector beam lights but those are ridiculously expensive.
Attached Thumbnails Pipe Dreams on Golden Wheels-dvc00176.jpg   Pipe Dreams on Golden Wheels-dvc00177.jpg